Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Looking at towing the Tri-Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 08:15 AM
theheder
Road Master
Received 938 Likes on 311 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get an enclosed trailer. You'll be happy with the added security, weather protection and extra storage space.

Buy once cry once.

7x14 with electric brakes works perfectly for a trike

The following users liked this post:
ShovelEd (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:38 AM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 45,425 Likes on 11,704 Posts

^^^^^^
Then make it versatile to haul pretty much everything.

theheder (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:48 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,141 Likes on 3,667 Posts

Them enclosed trailers are nice but I don’t really need one. Plus I hope I don’t have to tow my trike again no time soon. Specially to Canada..lol. Next trip is up to the U.P. And I’m riding it there.

smitty901 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:53 AM
ulrafxr
Advanced
Received 83 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an Aluma TK-1 for sale. Made especially for trikes and I added a Wheeldock drive on chock. If interested you can email me at harleyjerry901@gmail.com

Last edited by ulrafxr; 07-30-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2024, 09:02 AM
BouseBill
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Them enclosed trailers are nice but I don’t really need one. Plus I hope I don’t have to tow my trike again no time soon. Specially to Canada..lol. Next trip is up to the U.P. And I’m riding it there.

Same here, We plan on going back up to Glacier NP next year for the Going to the Sun Road (Provided I'm not 6' under LOL) and a few more rides of over 1 K. We've downsized our vehicles, sold the F-450, just didn't need that much truck. The Ford Maverick will do just fine with a lightweight open trailer and I can always put a rock guard on the front if needed.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

Old 07-30-2024, 12:46 PM
mltdwn
Intermediate
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Got a Stinger fold up trike trailer last December to tow the bike from IL to AZ. Usually would ride it out in November (risky weather) but got Covid and couldn’t. Also family kept telling me at 73 I was getting too old to ride out by myself so finally broke down and got a trailer. Solid unit and towed easily, including in some heavy rain storms. Fold up feature is nice if you have storage limitations but very few seniors (or maybe anyone) could fold or open it themselves. Too heavy so you need help. In terms of an enclosed trailer, that would be nice if you have the room to store it. My bike did get really dirty. Not because of that, but was undecided if I wanted a trailer at all after getting to AZ since there is still something gratifying about riding from A to B, wherever that is. Then I rode back from AZ through CO and to IL last month, 2,500 miles. Have done that many times over the last 30+ years. Last year it was a 3,500 mile return trip. I am finally admitting to myself that after all these years of 500+ mile days on Midwestern interstates to get to and from “fun” locations (no offense to anyone living between “fun” locations), I am getting tired of the 8-10 hour days of boring, tiring, often windy, sometimes rainy, and always truck heavy interstates. Am thinking now I will be using the trailer again to skip the “unfun” portions of my cross country trips. I might miss some of that over time, but as I age (further) it will probably be worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by mltdwn:
BouseBill (07-31-2024), MikeRG3 (08-02-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 02:02 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

My younger brother had an open trailer and he use to throw some moving blankets over the bike and then shrink wrap it. Towed it all over the place with no damage or dirt.. Wrap back up for the trip home.
He did end up buying an enclosed trailer because he travel some much for his work and took the bike with him.

Old 08-02-2024, 03:38 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by theheder
Do yourself a favor and get an enclosed trailer. You'll be happy with the added security, weather protection and extra storage space.

Buy once cry once.

That cargo trailer looks good. Do you know what the tongue weight is with Triglide loaded? I have a tongue weight limit of 750lbs on my camper.

Old 08-02-2024, 04:39 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 151 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by theheder

Buy once cry once.

They definitely are nice but when I went to pickup mine from the dealer in Albuquerque, he told me to bring an open trailer or it would get stolen while I was at the motel. Empty or not they just steal enclosed trailers. I went down and used my open trailer and spent the night at the motel with it empty, then got up early the next morning and went to dealer and picked up the trike and headed straight home. So depending on the circumstances I guess there are pluses and minuses both ways.

Old 08-02-2024, 05:21 PM
ShovelEd
Club Member
Received 45,425 Likes on 11,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
They definitely are nice but when I went to pickup mine from the dealer in Albuquerque, he told me to bring an open trailer or it would get stolen while I was at the motel. Empty or not they just steal enclosed trailers. I went down and used my open trailer and spent the night at the motel with it empty, then got up early the next morning and went to dealer and picked up the trike and headed straight home. So depending on the circumstances I guess there are pluses and minuses both ways.
I use a padlock on the trailer hitch.

And there might be an Air Tag in there somewhere.

Last edited by ShovelEd; 08-02-2024 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking at towing the Tri-Glide