Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

DIY trike lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2023 | 01:07 AM
05 Ultra
|
Road Master
Default DIY trike lift

After not being able to do much the last 2 weeks due to me leaning over the my trike to clean it from our 11+k mile trip. My back reminded I've had 2 surgery's on it. I need to change how I clean it. Or do any bending over type work on it. The only way is to lift it up so I don't have to bend over. I would just go pick one out a trike rated table but my problem is I don't have room for one. I have to have something that comes apart and can be stored under my car. I came across this video on YouTube and started thinking if it could work for a trike. Obviously it'll take the weight. I'm concerned with the front to back balance.
So I'm wondering, before I over think this , has anyone in the forum done this? It seems very doable to me. But...then again.

The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (07-23-2023)
Old 07-23-2023 | 07:29 AM
pappy42
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp

Great idea for the do it your selfer. For a close to 1500 lb. tri, I would want to make damned sure it’s sturdy enough. For my old self, it would be nice to have the lift come up higher.

Old 07-23-2023 | 08:39 AM
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for sharing the video.

The following users liked this post:
Midnite-TG (07-24-2023)
Old 07-23-2023 | 07:26 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

We (my riding partner and I) bot the H-F bike lifts at nearly the same time.
At that time both of us had Ultras (I also had two Softails) and the lifts were plenty large enough for the bikes but we quickly discovered that loading a bike on the lift alone was a little concerning, mainly due to the height of the lift (from the floor level and the wheel "vise or chock" that came with the lift.
I went back to H-F and bought a better wheel chock that would hold the bike until I could get off and do the safety "strapping" to secure it to the lift. I ALSO re-located the hooks mounted to the lift to better match the tie-downs to my liking.
Next we made "side rails" using 2"x6" boards with hooks that would be easily attached to assist in the loading of the bike and easily removed once the bike was secured and ready to lift.
I used "threaded rod" to stabilize the three supports on each side rail and also used some traction material on the boards.

All of this is said and done, in time the lift always seemed to be in my way and after many years was placed and used as a storage shelf!

Ween I got my J&S trike jack I quickly discovered that IF I sold my motorcycle jack that the trike jack would "fit" in the same location (under the landing going into the house) and I could get rid of the lift.

Using the J&S trike lift takes a little time to properly position but it once you get it up in the air it will secure your trike to allow you to "clean to your heart's content"!
I went with the pneumatic air lift (with an attachment for lifting a bike) that requires 120#s or so of compressor PSI to operate) but it can also be operated manually which is easier for me than getting the air hose out and firing up the compressor but that works better for you go for it.

Once you're done with the trike jack you can remove the "handle" and lay it flat and then place it on the floor to allow the wheels (front or rear) to straddle the jack...providing that your vehicle as enough height clearance for the jack.

Old 07-23-2023 | 09:01 PM
05 Ultra
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
We (my riding partner and I) bot the H-F bike lifts at nearly the same time.
At that time both of us had Ultras (I also had two Softails) and the lifts were plenty large enough for the bikes but we quickly discovered that loading a bike on the lift alone was a little concerning, mainly due to the height of the lift (from the floor level and the wheel "vise or chock" that came with the lift.
I went back to H-F and bought a better wheel chock that would hold the bike until I could get off and do the safety "strapping" to secure it to the lift. I ALSO re-located the hooks mounted to the lift to better match the tie-downs to my liking.
Next we made "side rails" using 2"x6" boards with hooks that would be easily attached to assist in the loading of the bike and easily removed once the bike was secured and ready to lift.
I used "threaded rod" to stabilize the three supports on each side rail and also used some traction material on the boards.

All of this is said and done, in time the lift always seemed to be in my way and after many years was placed and used as a storage shelf!

Ween I got my J&S trike jack I quickly discovered that IF I sold my motorcycle jack that the trike jack would "fit" in the same location (under the landing going into the house) and I could get rid of the lift.

Using the J&S trike lift takes a little time to properly position but it once you get it up in the air it will secure your trike to allow you to "clean to your heart's content"!
I went with the pneumatic air lift (with an attachment for lifting a bike) that requires 120#s or so of compressor PSI to operate) but it can also be operated manually which is easier for me than getting the air hose out and firing up the compressor but that works better for you go for it.

Once you're done with the trike jack you can remove the "handle" and lay it flat and then place it on the floor to allow the wheels (front or rear) to straddle the jack...providing that your vehicle as enough height clearance for the jack.
And I would love to get a J&S lift...if they were still making them.