Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TriGlide won’t start at all now

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 04:13 PM
cajunhart
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TriGlide won’t start at all now

Really need help!
I have an ‘09 tri-glide that I’ve had since ‘15 and it’s been in the shop a couple of times but that was back in ‘15 and ‘16 and I can’t find my receipts for what they did but situation is most of the time it would start right up with no problems at all then just like that at anytime of the day it will go completely dead on me o clicking lights radio turn signal nothing. It’s as if the battery is removed. May do it one time or three or four times then it’ll start and maybe for the rest of the day start up without anymore problems or later on in the day it might not start up one or two more times. Unfortunately this time it hasn’t started for the past two or three weeks. Situations are as I said it’s as if the battery is removed. But the battery checked on a meter is fully charged and I keep it on a battery tender. All the fuses are good including the ones underneath the seat. I do remember the last time it was in the shop I rode it to get my helmet and other stuff out of the truck got on the bike and it wouldn’t start went back in got a mechanic two of them also couldn’t start it. So they pushed it back in the shop and sanded down a wire on the left side and she started up. Unfortunately I cannot find such a wire and I’m desperate for help.

thanks a load

Old 05-13-2023, 04:54 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

If you're sure that your battery does not have a dead cell and is fully charged, and IF you have checked your main fuse and the volt meter reads a least 10 volts when the ignition switch is turned to ignition, I'd be looking at the battery cable connections (positive and negative).
Try turning the ignition "ON" and having someone hold down the starter button while you carefully jiggle the battery cables.
If that does nothing, you may want to try "jumping: your battery off of your car battery (without the engine running) to see if that makes any difference.
The only "sanding" that you can do on a wire is at the "eyelets" for possible corrosion.
You may also want to check the cables for continuity (with a continuity checker) as cables can look good on the outside but be broken internally.
I've only had one bad battery cable and it was a bad crimping at the eyelet on the positive cable near the starter.

Years ago my almost new '00 UC developed a similar problem to yours when I was on my way to AK.
The lights would come on but it would not start, only a "clicking" sound.
It turned out to be a bolt on the ground cable on the inner primary needing to be tightened.
Never overlook the little things nor the importance of having a good ground when having electrical issues.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-13-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 05:50 PM
cajunhart
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info I will be trying/doing all that you mentioned.
you did remind me when you mentioned about jumping it couple of months ago it did go down on me when I was at the bank, started up perfectly in the morning, but when I came out again nothing no lights radiohorn totally dead but I did have a quick jump with me and when I hooked it up it roared back to life.

Old 05-14-2023, 01:09 AM
azjohnryan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not starting

Originally Posted by cajunhart
Thanks for the info I will be trying/doing all that you mentioned.
you did remind me when you mentioned about jumping it couple of months ago it did go down on me when I was at the bank, started up perfectly in the morning, but when I came out again nothing no lights radiohorn totally dead but I did have a quick jump with me and when I hooked it up it roared back to life.
I had a problem with my 2019 Triglide dying while driving on the road. The Harley shop spent many hours trying to find the problem without success. Long story short it turned out the 50 amp main fuse holder was not holding the fuse tight and was allowing arcing on the fuse contacts. The fuse holder would get hot from the arcing and expanded breaking contact with the fuse. The bike would then die as if the ignition switch was turned off. Everything would go out. Very scary at night on the freeway without lights and a dead bike. A little while later the fuse holder would make contact again and the bike would work again. The remedy was for the shop to R&R the fuse holder. I don't know if this is your problem or not. Pull your 50 amp main fuse and check the metal prongs that push into the fuse holder. They should be clean without any burnt spots if the fuse holder is gripping the prongs tightly. If this is not a problem on your bike at least it will eliminate one possibility of the problem you are having. Good Luck, John

The following users liked this post:
hydraglide (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 03:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Never jump start a Harley except in an emergency. That voltage you see on battery is from charger. Keeping it on maintenance charger is the best way to get the last start out of it at home.

Put a new battery in it.

In your previous post, you had wire problems. Be sure all connections are secure. No wires are broken. You need a good vote/ohm meter to do that.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-14-2023 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:59 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,400 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Forget attempting to jump start the bike, it is a waste of time and tells you nothing, you already know the starter will crank if it gets power.

Remove the battery, charge it and have it load tested, if it is over 3 years old, replace it.

While battery is out, remove battery cables and clean both terminals and the surfaces they connect to.

Check all fuses and the terminals they mount into.

Clean the starter relay pins and connector.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts
Old 05-15-2023, 01:29 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,089 Likes on 3,490 Posts

I doubt it is the battery. It almost has to be a bad connection either in the positive cable or the ground cable. a bad battery doesn't just go to 0 volts then back to full charge. I guess it is possible a main terminal on the battery post internally ... But a volt meter would tell bunches.

There can be a bad connection in a crimp fitting on a cable somewhere in the main power feed. Or just a bad connection with the main fuse. But if it is the main feed side when it looses the power wouldn't the siren go off just like when you pull the main fuse before turning on the ignition ???? I know it does if you disconnect the battery first ...Just throwing ideas out there....

Harley wiring is bad for breakage !

By the way, there are wiring schematics on the Harley Davidson web site. You need to register your VIN# and find the service documents area. But complete schematics are there if you don't have a service manual.

Last edited by sloufoot; 05-15-2023 at 01:34 AM.