Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Passenger heat

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023 | 07:17 AM
dynamic098
|
Cruiser
Default Passenger heat

Hi All,

So the lady and I traded into a 2019 Tri Glide. We took our maiden voyage over the weekend.
Two things popped up and came to mind. The first being the heat on my wife's calves, and secondly, the suspension.

Can anyone shed light on how to deal with the engine heat for the passenger? My wife said if she put her foot on the outer edge of the floorboard it was better. Do you know of different passenger footboards that I could install?

Thank you,
Bob

Old 04-16-2023 | 08:33 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior

I have done so many things to my bikes over the years to manage felt heat that I hesitate to respond. I wouldn't want you to think just one thing will fix this problem. But...

The catalytic converter is in your head pipe right under the passenger footboard. Removing that probably helps as much as anything. I also strongly recommend DK Customs Cooling Deflector wings to move more air down and across your engine. Managing your lower vents might make a difference too, depending on whether you have them open or not. So, reducing a primary source of the heat and moving more air across the engine is my recommendation.

Like I said, there are many things you can do and probably more I haven't tried (like the cooling fan HD offers).

The following 2 users liked this post by LS Bob:
M Oclaf (04-16-2023), talkingrock (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023 | 12:11 PM
sstan
Cruiser

I added Kuryakyn adjustable passenger pegs. They give my wife several different positions for her feet. Pegs

DK Customs makes some mounting blocks for the stock boards that give several options and move the boards out some.

There are a lot of options for suspensions. Search this forum and look at triketalk.

The following users liked this post:
sloufoot (04-18-2023)
Old 04-16-2023 | 07:22 PM
BigD48
Tourer

@dynamic098 Was your lady wearing long pants or short?

Old 04-16-2023 | 11:16 PM
hydraglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by dynamic098
Hi All,

So the lady and I traded into a 2019 Tri Glide. We took our maiden voyage over the weekend.
Two things popped up and came to mind. The first being the heat on my wife's calves, and secondly, the suspension.

Can anyone shed light on how to deal with the engine heat for the passenger? My wife said if she put her foot on the outer edge of the floorboard it was better. Do you know of different passenger footboards that I could install?

Thank you,
Bob
I added a set of DEI heat shield liners and the Harley Cool flow fan… SIGNIFICANT reduction of felt heat on the right side for rider and passenger.

Particularly after adding the DEI heat shields.

https://www.designengineering.com/pr...shield-liners/

The following 2 users liked this post by hydraglide:
pappy42 (04-17-2023), sloufoot (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023 | 05:09 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
The following 2 users liked this post by Bluraven:
DK Custom (05-08-2023), Rogue1 (04-28-2023)
Old 04-17-2023 | 06:00 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

We sell a lot of our crotch coolers to trike owners .. Easy to install .. They work ..

Old 04-17-2023 | 07:23 AM
BillyJohn
Novice

We had/have the same issue. I am on a 2020 Tri Glide. We tried all types of settings with the vents but the thing that helped my Bride of 40 years be comfortable here in Orlando was installing the deflector fan from Harley. Stopped the heat from underneath a lot. Or so she says!

Old 04-17-2023 | 07:33 AM
rvkersh
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dynamic098
Hi All,

Thank you,
Bob
We open the lower fairing vents fully and installed the HD Cool Flow fan, that helped alot with felt engine heat. Fan needs dealer flash to operate.

Old 04-17-2023 | 02:16 PM
pappy42
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by hydraglide
I added a set of DEI heat shield liners and the Harley Cool flow fan… SIGNIFICANT reduction of felt heat on the right side for rider and passenger.

Particularly after adding the DEI heat shields.

https://www.designengineering.com/pr...shield-liners/
Ditto, works like a charm on my 21 TG. Best bang for the bucks that I have experienced.

The following users liked this post:
hydraglide (04-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Passenger heat