Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Road Glide 3 vs Tri Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 10:03 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,035 Likes on 1,786 Posts

I have no intentions of buying another trike but it's great that H-D gave us three-wheelers another option.

I know people that love the "peppiness" (is that a real word) of the Freewheeler and I think the III may cut deeply into the sales of the original being that some folks like the "fugly" fairing.

Personally. I have been riding with the "batwing" for more than 20 years and I much prefer it over the "fugly" as as I can tuck in behind it gives me more protection from rain and sleet in bad weather and additionally I like the storage of the Tri-Glide.

The following users liked this post:
talkingrock (02-20-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 10:50 AM
hydraglide
Advanced
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I find that on my Freewheeler with only a windshield that my shoulders get a workout on a long day of riding when there’s lots of turns and twisties.
But on my Heritage, which has a pretty substantial fairing with a pretty heavy stereo system, after a day of riding when there’s lots of turns and twisties I feel nothing in my shoulders.
The reason, of course, is due to the major difference between a trike rider's "push and pull" versus a two wheeler riders "lean" while navigating turns and twisties. ..And why IMO bar selection and improvements in a riders "geometry" (what I like to call rider to trike "fit"...bars/seat/backrest/lift kit/seat selection) makes the biggest difference (improvement) when mitigating or eliminating shoulder soreness.

The modifications I made to my 21' Tri-Glide made a huge difference in eliminating any shoulder discomfort in my case. And I'm a guy who has a bad left shoulder.

The following users liked this post:
sstan (02-02-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:48 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by hydraglide
The reason, of course, is due to the major difference between a trike rider's "push and pull" versus a two wheeler riders "lean" while navigating turns and twisties. ..And why IMO bar selection and improvements in a riders "geometry" (what I like to call rider to trike "fit"...bars/seat/backrest/lift kit/seat selection) makes the biggest difference (improvement) when mitigating or eliminating shoulder soreness.

The modifications I made to my 21' Tri-Glide made a huge difference in eliminating any shoulder discomfort in my case. And I'm a guy who has a bad left shoulder.
I too have a bad left shoulder and long ago came to close to the same conclusion as you. We call it the Comfort Triangle.

Properly set up, I can ride all day long, day after day, with no discomfort.

How I have my latest Tri Glide set up-

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
hydraglide (02-03-2023), Noodles107 (12-31-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 07:10 PM
Moegy
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Freewheeler 3

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Been super busy, so have not read all the threads on the RG 3, but have skimmed some of them. One thing I have not seen mentioned is the horrible ride quality of those low profile (short sidewall) tires. Look the same, or close, as the tires on the CVO TG's. We have done some riding on those, and they are bad.

I like the Sharknose, I think they did a good thing on offering that as an option, and they will do even better offering that at some point on the Tri Glide...but those tires are no good for hour after hour of riding.
Agree with Kevin. I have a 21 CVO TriGlide with the low profile tires. Much harsher ride than the TriGlide Ultra I had before the CVO. The larger sidewalls make a huge difference on sharp bumps. How about DK Customs sell a tire that has more sidewall and fits the fenders of these low profile machines?

Last edited by Moegy; 02-03-2023 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 02-06-2023, 04:48 PM
Toxie
Intermediate
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Been super busy, so have not read all the threads on the RG 3, but have skimmed some of them. One thing I have not seen mentioned is the horrible ride quality of those low profile (short sidewall) tires. Look the same, or close, as the tires on the CVO TG's. We have done some riding on those, and they are bad.

I like the Sharknose, I think they did a good thing on offering that as an option, and they will do even better offering that at some point on the Tri Glide...but those tires are no good for hour after hour of riding.
==================
My comment on this thread, you've quite perfectly resume. The RG3, is riding on 18 inch rear cast aluminum rim with low profile, and 19 inch cast aluminum rim with low profile tires. Identical to my 2021 CVO Tri Glide! A terrible choice and ride ! In fact, up here in Quebec we have biodegradable highways and those rims are worth less....broke 2 in less than 9 months...and happy to report that HD had no replacement until the Chinese Salamander New year, when ever that is to happen !...Happy you ask?....Ummm allow me to plead the 5 th like your previous pres ! Forged aluminum is what's coming on this trike this year !

Last edited by Toxie; 02-06-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:07 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moegy
Agree with Kevin. I have a 21 CVO TriGlide with the low profile tires. Much harsher ride than the TriGlide Ultra I had before the CVO. The larger sidewalls make a huge difference on sharp bumps. How about DK Customs sell a tire that has more sidewall and fits the fenders of these low profile machines?

Harley already has wheels and tires with more sidewall for more flex and a less harsh ride. They come stock on most of the Trikes.
Putting a taller sidewall tire on these larger wheels will not work due to geometry changes AND fender clearance.

For snazzier wheels and tires, Clint44 is an encyclopedia of information on that subject. Here is just one thread where is has shared some info- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-wheels.html

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Moegy (02-06-2023), talkingrock (02-13-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Toxie
==================
My comment on this thread, you've quite perfectly resume. The RG3, is riding on 18 inch rear cast aluminum rim with low profile, and 19 inch cast aluminum rim with low profile tires. Identical to my 2021 CVO Tri Glide! A terrible choice and ride ! In fact, up here in Quebec we have biodegradable highways and those rims are worth less....broke 2 in less than 9 months...and happy to report that HD had no replacement until the Chinese Salamander New year, when ever that is to happen !...Happy you ask?....Ummm allow me to plead the 5 th like your previous pres ! Forged aluminum is what's coming on this trike this year !
Sorry to hear that. If I were ever to get a Trike with low profile tires, that is one of the first things I would switch out.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:22 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hydraglide
Hey Frank... curious if you tried different bars on your Tri Glide prior to selling it? I too have a bad shoulder, but replacing the stock bars with a set of Khromewerks 2+2 wides, along with a 1" lift kit, made a world of difference on mitigating the stress the stock bars put on my shoulders.

I found with the stock bars, particularly when I was near or "on the locks" on a tight turn, there was a tremendous amount of stress on my upper shoulder. Adding the 2+2's moved what I'll call the "stress point" down more into my arms and off my shoulders, which isn't a problem. My "arm geometry" was greatly improved and it makes handling my Tri Glide MUCH easier.

I honestly don't think the shark nose will do much if anything to make steering any easier. My speculation... we will soon see what TG3 owners have to say!
having owned four TG’s , yes I changed bars but didn’t help much in the twisties or curvy roads…degenerative arthritis is the main issue…and as we all know you drive a trike, not so much ride it. Major roads and interstates were not a problem, but the curvy roads were killer….

Old 02-20-2023, 09:27 AM
Grandma3Wheels
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the trunk on the Freewheeler and Roadglide 3 would be more convenient since access to it is from the top.
Of course the Triglide does have the tour pac for added storage however, with the rack on the Freewheeler, I simply installed a Harley removable bag that works just fine.

As the previous owner of a Freewheeler who is now shopping for a Triglide, I agree with you on the trunk. I like how you access the trunk from the top and don’t have to bend down low to put things in it like you do with the Triglide. I was able to store a lot of things in it while traveling plus adding the luggage rack allowed me to put a bag on the top of the lid which added even more space.

[/QUOTE]

Old 12-30-2023, 04:51 PM
Buelos75
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my trike about two years ago and love it. Accidents happen and I got off my 23 road glide and wouldnt go back. Long trips= Tri Glide with better shocks; In town and short day trips the RG3 is perfect. RG3 is probably better for 2 up arount town. Ride on regardless.

Quick Reply: Road Glide 3 vs Tri Glide