Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Passenger comfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 04:51 PM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger comfort

Hi everyone. Been looking at the Freewheelers and Tri glides and I know the passenger comfort is going to be better on the Tri glide but I like the look of the Freewheeler. We aren't really into touring mainly day rides or occasional overnight. Could you freewheeler folks give me some comments about passenger comfort. Have a 2020 Heritage but the wife dosen't feel comfortable on my two wheeler. Thanks

Old 10-11-2021, 04:56 PM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger comfort

Haven't been on the forum in a long while. Looking at Tri Glides and Freewheelers. I know the passenger is gong to be more comfortable on the tri Glide but really like the look of the Freewheeler. We do mostly day trips and an occasional overnight and I would appreciate your comments about passenger comfort on the Freewheeler. When I has my street glide (we were younger) she enjoyed riding on that. Is is similar for the passenger on a freewheeler? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:37 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

My wife absolutely hates the ride. As does my Buddies wife. It's bad. But she loves her Freewheeler. And my Buddies wife loves her Freewheeler. They both have one and have ridden on the back and absolutely hate it.

When teaching my wife some finer points in riding. I was on the back of her Freewheeler (best lessons she ever had, real-time critiques she loved it) It was painful.

I had one too. A 19. And had a blast on it. And she would rode on the back when we were out on a trip. That's the only time she rode on mine. She's glad I have the Roadglide now because she don't take hers to Gettysburg and has no problem on the back of my bike. But would pass up group rides to stay off the FW.

You'll get different answers I'm sure. But from 2 women very close to me,, myself and my buddy. Ya. Nope. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
2AMGuy (10-12-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:54 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 663 Likes on 412 Posts

My wife is a veteran rider/passenger and she will not ride a FW, again. They are a blast for a single rider, though.

The following 2 users liked this post by Clint44:
Derbywiz (05-29-2023), RFG7680 (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:58 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,621 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I would say with the freewheeler you would have to have a back rest for her. The only problem my wife has with the Tri is the hand holds dug into her thighs and hurt after a while. I took them off and the problem went away.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:35 AM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought the Freewheeler for my girlfriend. I kept my two-wheelers for me and when she wants to go we use the three-wheeler. I put a touring saddle on it and she can sit there for 150 miles with no problems. It has the backrest on it. I have adjusted the air some and put the risers for the rear. All in all, I think the Freewheeler is a hit. I think it is pretty fun.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

We just did 1700 miles in 5 days on my Tri Glide, my wife drove for about a hour and I sat on the back and I was like WOW! It’s way more comfortable back here. No wonder she doesn’t complain… We had a Hammock seat and is not for me. I’ve since bought a Ultimate tallboy with backrest. We are taking it for a 3 day trip to the mountains next week. I will know Better then if it works good for me or not.

TOHOG (05-24-2024)
Old 10-12-2021, 10:07 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

A stock Freewheeler is torture for a passenger. I added a sissy bar, large back pad, and a Sundowner seat and my wife is very comfortable.

Siuuplink (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 10:40 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

My wife and my cousin have owned ad rode their own bikes for years and both of them hate riding on the back of a Tri-Glide!

We (me and my cousin's husband) even mounted the arm rests to the tour pack and I did the Comfort Lift kit and shocks to mine which did not change her mind at all.

They both complain (especially on curvy roads) is that they fell like they're being "tossed around" and my cousin cannot sit in that one position for too long due to leg and ankles problems.

My wife has her Heritage and my cousin jus got a new '21 FW so they're free to "do their own thing" and we can ride our Tri-Glides in peace!

RFG7680 (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 07:32 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife has rode with me for 40 years and loves the ride on the Tri. I put on the HD air seat, front tire at 32 and rears at 23psi. Did alot of shock adjusting but found *her* spot. I have the DK tourpack relocation bracket, will move it back 3" and have the 14" Pro-Action Custom Trike Series Shock & 14" Convertible Comfort Lift on my shop table to be installed this winter. I foresee nothing but a great/easy riding trike come spring.

Quick Reply: Passenger comfort