Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Finally bought a trike! (2018 Tri Glide) but husband hurt himself on it

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 12:59 PM
CrzyGrl
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally bought a trike! (2018 Tri Glide) but husband hurt himself on it

Got a nice 1 owner low mileage Tri Glide. My first trike, I've been wanting one and researching for a while. Just got it Saturday, only put about 50 miles on it so far. I have a lot to learn and unlearn, after riding on 2 wheels for over 20 years. I feel like I am doing well with it, first gear is kinda weird to me, but I've never had a fuel-injected bike before, that might be part of it. Some roads feel weird, because of the "crown" in the road. I often feel like we are slightly tilted. Being not even 5'2", not having to put my feet down is so freeing. Whenever i took off on two wheels, I hated to put my feet back down once i was going. Getting older, and stressing about parking, backing up, etc., was making me not ride as much.
Today, my husband put a nicer chrome linkage on it, and wanted to make sure it was shifting ok. He took off on it, and immediately got spooked and put his foot down. He is 6'3", and normally a lot more confident and aggressive at riding than me. Somehow, his leg caught caught between the rear wheel and fender, and he almost hit the neighbor's fence. He is sore, icing it and taking the day off work. Now he is worried about that happening to me. I suppose it is possible. I've not heard of this happening to anyone before. I've heard of people getting hurt putting their foot down, but not like this. He is wondering if there are any safety measures that we can take so it doesn't happen again. I think it is less likely to happen to me, because i am much shorter, and i am an "overthinker". I believe he just was over-confident and didn't prepare mentally. My first trike ride at the dealership on a Freewheeler was kinda like that. Spooked me and made me think maybe trikes weren't for me. Loved it until I tried to turn, then i had flashbacks of the old ATV trikes!
So, enjoying my new trike, but husband is scared of it. He wouldn't even get back on it to park it in the garage, i went home from work at lunch and did it. He had been thinking about getting his own trike, as he has some hip problems. Now he says he's an old dog that can't learn new tricks. Dunno...

Old 06-21-2021, 02:00 PM
htoler
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 818 Posts

Congrats on the new Trike.
I have zero regrets about getting my Freewheeler.
And I love not having to put my feet down at stops 🙂
I have been on. 3 wheels for close to a year now and have not once tried to put a foot down before fully stopped. The only time I think about putting a foot down is when getting off my Trike.
for me I guess I just have it embedded into my thinking that putting a foot down is not nessary.
Once my feet are on the floorboards The Trike is so solid and stable no lean it does not enter my thoughts to put a foot down.
Again Congratulations on your Trike hope your husband gets better soon.

Posting pics of your Trike would be welcomed .

The following 2 users liked this post by htoler:
CrzyGrl (06-21-2021), SWHall1954 (06-23-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:14 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Tri Glide

Originally Posted by CrzyGrl
Got a nice 1 owner low mileage Tri Glide. My first trike, I've been wanting one and researching for a while. Just got it Saturday, only put about 50 miles on it so far. I have a lot to learn and unlearn, after riding on 2 wheels for over 20 years. I feel like I am doing well with it, first gear is kinda weird to me, but I've never had a fuel-injected bike before, that might be part of it. Some roads feel weird, because of the "crown" in the road. I often feel like we are slightly tilted. Being not even 5'2", not having to put my feet down is so freeing. Whenever i took off on two wheels, I hated to put my feet back down once i was going. Getting older, and stressing about parking, backing up, etc., was making me not ride as much.
Today, my husband put a nicer chrome linkage on it, and wanted to make sure it was shifting ok. He took off on it, and immediately got spooked and put his foot down. He is 6'3", and normally a lot more confident and aggressive at riding than me. Somehow, his leg caught caught between the rear wheel and fender, and he almost hit the neighbor's fence. He is sore, icing it and taking the day off work. Now he is worried about that happening to me. I suppose it is possible. I've not heard of this happening to anyone before. I've heard of people getting hurt putting their foot down, but not like this. He is wondering if there are any safety measures that we can take so it doesn't happen again. I think it is less likely to happen to me, because i am much shorter, and i am an "overthinker". I believe he just was over-confident and didn't prepare mentally. My first trike ride at the dealership on a Freewheeler was kinda like that. Spooked me and made me think maybe trikes weren't for me. Loved it until I tried to turn, then i had flashbacks of the old ATV trikes!
So, enjoying my new trike, but husband is scared of it. He wouldn't even get back on it to park it in the garage, i went home from work at lunch and did it. He had been thinking about getting his own trike, as he has some hip problems. Now he says he's an old dog that can't learn new tricks. Dunno...
after my first ride on our new 2017 Trike the thought of putting my feet down has never entered my mind

Old 06-21-2021, 02:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,197 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new to you Tri Glide!

Wishing you many miles of smiles on it!

Yeah, I put my feet down a couple of times when first riding it. The second time it nipped my foot and that cured me. Now on my third Tri Glide, and about 150K miles total on Tri Glides.

The safety measure is already in place with your husband...he won't do that again.

Just last week we recorded a couple of videos...Part 1 and Part 2 on the differences between riding 2 wheels and riding 3 wheels.

There are some differences, but once one gets used to it the Trikes are a ton of fun.

Videos should be edited an on youtube within a few weeks.

Here's a video showing what these Trikes are capable of, once a person gets used to them.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by DK Custom:
CrzyGrl (06-21-2021), JWP07 (06-24-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:24 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,846 Likes on 3,238 Posts

Rented a Tri-glide for a South Dakota vacation.
First day I'd say putting my feet out was 50/50.
By day 2 it was 25%.
By day 3 I was acclimated and no longer tried sticking my feet out.

Day 1, ride1, stop 1 back on the Ultra had an interesting few seconds.

The following users liked this post:
Seaweed (06-26-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:36 PM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 137 Posts

I mean no offense to your husband by this, but if he is putting his feet down well before stopping on his two wheeler, he hasn't learned how to operate it properly, either. Using the rear brake and friction zone, one should be able to come to a near stop without losing balance from lack of forward momentum. At this point, I would think it would be easier for him learn to not put his feet down at all riding a trike then to learn how to stop a two wheeler without using his feet prior to the stop.
Most people I ride with put their feet out yards and yards before they stop, this is not unique. But, it is incorrect and many maneuvers on a two wheeler are much easier when the proper techniques are used.
Like I said, no offense intended.

Riding a trike takes some adjustment that practice will ingrain in your head. Tell him old dogs can learn new tricks if they want to. Most of us have done so at some advanced ages, too.
Congrats on your new Trike and welcome to the Forum.

The following 4 users liked this post by LS Bob:
ChrisHo (06-24-2021), Clint44 (06-22-2021), Oogie Wa Wa (06-28-2021), Paintslinger16 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:59 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Congrats on getting your first trike!

Being a snowmobile rider and having owner ATVs, adapting from two-to-three wheels didn't take much efffort on my part even though I did think about putting my feet down ant the first stop after leaving the dealership on my trike!
I'm sure that after a few more miles on your trike the urge to drop your feet will no longer cross your mind and I hope that your husband will also be able to adapt accordingly.

I've had my '18 Tri-Glide for nearly 3 years now and I'm still looking at ways to make it fit me better and also to make it look nicer but the fact is that "fit" is much more important than "looks".
For me, the most or best "upgrades" that I have done to make my trike fit me better was the rider backrest, highway foot pegs, handlebars with more rise and reach and a taller re-curve windshield that deflects up and over my head and reduces helmet buffeting and the last upgrade was changing the rear brake to eliminate the need to lift my leg in order to use the rear brakes.
The one disappointing article that I put on my trike was a handlebar mounted cupholder like the one that I have used on my Ultra for many years.
Even though I knew that I could never use it for carbonated beverages I (incorrectly) assumed that it could be used for coffee, water, etc.
The "rocking action", especially on a bumpy ride shakes the living daylights out of any type of container that is placed in the cupholder.
I now use it mostly when I'm (working, etc.) around the trike and only when I know that I will be on the freeway or nice, smooth roads.

As you ride your trike more you'll start thinking about what your personal needs and wants may be and there's always someone here to answer your questions and suggestions as to how you can make that trike yours.

Welcome the the "Tri-Cycle" club

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 06-21-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:20 PM
16_Tri-Glide
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

You'll definitely want to get a Avon Cobra Chrome Trike front tire! It makes steering in corners a whole lot better than having a motorcycle front tire on it.

Your husband should be fine after the initial rear tire "gotcha" moment.

Congrats on the trike!

The following users liked this post:
Ron in Warsaw (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 03:32 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,240 Likes on 6,719 Posts

Congratulation on your new ride.

Old 06-21-2021, 08:06 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 187 Posts

Welcome Cindy!
Your hubby has learned the lesson the hard way (hope he gets better soon) and you have learned from his example, so it will be in your minds until it becomes natural to keep your feet on the boards until stopped. Always ride in your comfort zone as you gain experience. Nothing wrong with empty parking lot practice on stopping, sharp turning, ect.
Will toss in a few pointers that work for me:
1 stretch your arms straight out to your sides and that is about how wide the rear end on your trike is. Watch this around gas pumps, curbs, ect.
2 steering is a push/pull on the handle bars. No leaning.
3 also when turning, press down on the floor boards with the outside foot. This helps with leverage on the bars and get rid of the feeling of sliding off the seat.
4 I have found that if I lean a little with my upper body in a turn, it helps me gain more leverage on the handle bars.
Best of luck to you both and enjoy the ride. Great fun!

Quick Reply: Finally bought a trike! (2018 Tri Glide) but husband hurt himself on it