Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike Mid Step

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 01:03 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 187 Posts

Update: I did put mid steps on and with my 2+2 bars & RZ seat, I use them all the time. Got them from trikemidstep.com

Old 09-26-2022, 09:39 AM
Don60
Tourer
Received 215 Likes on 135 Posts

Getting on and off my trike was a challenge at first. I seriously considered the mid-step but the price was prohibitive. With practice, and waking up a few unused muscles, I no longer struggle getting on my trike. Getting off was a more difficult challenge but I found that using my arms to pull myself up to a standing position on the floorboards eased this challenge. First time trike owners often/typically transition from bikes because of physical challenges. They discover that the biggest challenge is getting on the trike without scratching the paint! Over time we develop an approach that works. I mount from the right side by placing my right foot on the driver's footrest and stepping my left foot over the seat onto the left side passenger footrest. I then lower myself into a comfortable riding position. If the "mid-step" was fairly priced (imo), I would have definitely purchased this product in my first couple of months of owning a trike. Now, getting on and off my stock trike isn't an issue. I recommend that if you're new to trikes, wait a few months before considering this product. You may be trying to solve a problem that will naturally disappear shortly!

The following 2 users liked this post by Don60:
GPHDXLC (09-26-2022), sloufoot (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:13 PM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

That's some of the best advise i have heard. That's exactly the way i get on, & do not see the need of the mid step. Just get in the habit of mounting that way & before ya know it, you won't even be thinking about it.

The following 2 users liked this post by arnie54:
Don60 (09-28-2022), GPHDXLC (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 09:55 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by arnie54
That's some of the best advise i have heard. That's exactly the way i get on, & do not see the need of the mid step. Just get in the habit of mounting that way & before ya know it, you won't even be thinking about it.
I agree.
My wife has a Freewheeler and we have no problems getting on and off. We adjusted our own ways to do it. Not a problem for us at all

The following users liked this post:
Don60 (09-28-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 08:08 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,552 Likes on 844 Posts

Good for you guys.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:40 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I looked at the midstep when I 1st got the trike due to not being able to throw my leg over the seat. Being that the midstep isn't much higher then the front floor board I didn't see it as an option. I use the passengers step. It's higher and I have no problem getting my leg over the seat even with the backrest installed and my bride already seated. She just slides her foot back a bit to make room. Works for me and definitely cheaper.

Last edited by 05 Ultra; 09-28-2022 at 04:58 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 05 Ultra:
Cagmo (10-04-2022), hydraglide (09-28-2022), pappy42 (09-28-2022), sloufoot (09-29-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 03:54 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

When I had two wheel HD touring bikes I always approached from the LEFT side (the low side on the jiffy stand) and just threw my right leg over the Tour Pak and suffered the occasional scuff when my energy went low.
When I got my trike I used the same approach and found that because the trike, being totally upright, this method ( and my advancing age) made me search for a better way.

I looked at the mid step but could not stomach the cost vs benefit analysis.

what I do now is, still from the left, put my left foot on the driver,s floorboard and put my hand on the bars and swing out and over and just sit down. I hate to say it, but it’s pretty effortless and can’t understand why a mid step would benefit me. I use the same approach to dismount ( grab the bars, stand up on both floorboards and swing out and put your right leg down)

but this is only my .02 and everyone figures out their own best practices.

Last edited by dlpuette; 10-03-2022 at 03:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dlpuette:
Don60 (10-04-2022), huskerBG (03-08-2023), sloufoot (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 02:41 PM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 666 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpuette
When I had two wheel HD touring bikes I always approached from the LEFT side (the low side on the jiffy stand) and just threw my right leg over the Tour Pak and suffered the occasional scuff when my energy went low.
When I got my trike I used the same approach and found that because the trike, being totally upright, this method ( and my advancing age) made me search for a better way.

I looked at the mid step but could not stomach the cost vs benefit analysis.

what I do now is, still from the left, put my left foot on the driver,s floorboard and put my hand on the bars and swing out and over and just sit down. I hate to say it, but it’s pretty effortless and can’t understand why a mid step would benefit me. I use the same approach to dismount ( grab the bars, stand up on both floorboards and swing out and put your right leg down)

but this is only my .02 and everyone figures out their own best practices.
I mount the trike pretty much the same way. Except that I step on the passenger floorboard and swing my leg over and step down on the driver's floorboard and have a seat. Most of the time when I Dismount I just put my left foot on the ground turn my body 90° to the right and slide my right leg across the seat. Maybe I'm just lazy.

huskerBG (03-08-2023)
Old 10-05-2022, 10:25 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior
Received 663 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by dlpuette
what I do now is, still from the left, put my left foot on the driver's floorboard and put my hand on the bars and swing out and over and just sit down. I hate to say it, but it’s pretty effortless and can’t understand why a mid step would benefit me. I use the same approach to dismount ( grab the bars, stand up on both floorboards and swing out and put your right leg down)
That method works great for me, too.

dlpuette (10-08-2022)
Old 10-08-2022, 05:14 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Clint, you and I are of the same mind

Quick Reply: Trike Mid Step