Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Stage 2 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021 | 06:34 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Probably take some chrome polish and some elbow grease to get it back to looking good.

However, I would have the Dealership do it. It will take an hour or two to do it correctly, chrome polish, buff off then clean the residual off the black parts with a good soap solution or if it was me, I would tape off the black parts beforehand.

If that does not do it I would be asking for new covers, etc.

Old 03-12-2021 | 07:09 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Inexcusable, if in fact the dealer tech did this than they should make it right. Never should have left shop like that. As said above have have a civil conversation with someone up the food chain. They need to correct this. Why did you pay them and take it when it looked like that?

Old 03-12-2021 | 11:22 AM
htoler
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

After I cooled off for a few days I went into the dealership and talked to the manager .
it is going to be made right .
​​​​​​since I did not check my Trike out real well when I picked it up from them .
I told them I would buy a new cam cover if they would replace the other parts and install them all at no cost .The manager agreed and said they were wrong to not clean the chemicals off the chrome.

​​​​​​Now waiting for the parts to come in .

Old 03-12-2021 | 09:25 PM
Wmitz
Road Master

Like to hear your thoughts on the cam after some miles. I am on the fence for a cam for my tri.

Old 03-12-2021 | 10:31 PM
htoler
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wmitz
Like to hear your thoughts on the cam after some miles. I am on the fence for a cam for my tri.
I'll post an update on it after some miles.

Old 04-08-2021 | 11:20 AM
htoler
|
Ultimate HDF Member

update ..
After , getting some miles on the Trike after full stage 2 upgrade , for casual riding , it is not a big noticeable difference, other than sound and a bit more responsive on the throttle.
where it is noticeable is when you get on it hard , but even then it is noting that dramatic.
would I do it again if had to to option to go back and make the decision over , NO, I would put the money into Lighting , and Comfort and looks mods .

The M8 is a powerhouse in it`s stock form.
I was being told the difference would be night and day , and I always wanted a Hot Rod lol.
I would call the difference Moderate at best.
I am glad I upgraded the Oil Pump and Cam Plate.
But so far as the Cam , Breather ,Push Rods, Lifters and Full exhaust system, and Tuner , I think the money spent would be better spent on Comfort and looks upgrades.
I notice some difference just nothing that drastic seat of the pants wise . and it definitely hits gas mileage, hard. lost around 11 MPG . combined style riding..

Last edited by htoler; 04-08-2021 at 01:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oogie Wa Wa (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021 | 11:52 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by htoler
update ..
After , getting some miles on the Trike after full stage 2 upgrade , for casual riding , it is not a big noticeable difference, other than sound and a bit more responsive on the throttle.
where it is noticeable is when you get on it hard , but even then it is noting that dramatic.
would I do it again if had to to option to go back and make the decision over , NO, I would put the money into Lighting , and Comfort and looks mods .

The M8 and powerhouse in it`s stock form.
I was being told the difference would be night and day , and I always wanted a Hot Rod lol.
I would call the difference Moderate at best.
I am glad I upgraded the Oil Pump and Cam Plate.
But so far as the Cam , Breather ,Push Rods, Lifters and Full exhaust system, and Tuner , I think the money spent would be better spent on Comfort and looks upgrades.
I notice some difference just nothing that drastic seat of the pants wise . and it definitely hits gas mileage, hard. lost around 11 MPG . combined style riding..
Reading posts like this one reassures me that not even doing a stage one on my 19 FW is still the right way to go. I do think upgrading the oil pump is a good idea. Too bad you have to do so many changes just to get to it.

Old 04-08-2021 | 12:16 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Did the same dealership do the tune after the the install? There in may be the issue. Talk to FM. If you bought the PV from them they can provide you with a likely better tune . If they suggested that cam I’d be inclined to trust them. I wouldn’t trust the dealership with tuning my bike after a cam upgrade.

Old 04-08-2021 | 01:53 PM
htoler
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
Did the same dealership do the tune after the the install? There in may be the issue. Talk to FM. If you bought the PV from them they can provide you with a likely better tune . If they suggested that cam I’d be inclined to trust them. I wouldn’t trust the dealership with tuning my bike after a cam upgrade.
The Tune come from Fuel Moto.
All my upgrades Stage 2 wise were what Fuel Moto recommended other than the Vance and Hines air intake . Which they said was a good choice.

The Trike sounds great and runs great.
no complaints on how it runs , no decell pop or anything it's smooth.
It is just not the night and day difference I was expecting from the information I had gathered.

the only thing I did not go with that Fuel moto recommended was Slip ons , they said all they offered that would fit were Vance and Hines.
I already had new Cobra 909's on it and knew the Vance and Hines would not give the back pressure they said the M8 needed for low end torque.

I went with their Street Outlaw slip ons.
They fit fine , just stick out further in the back than the Vance and Hines or 909's do .
I like the look.

just for me if someone asked would I recommend doing stage 2 on a Harley with an M8 I would say no .

how the Slip ons look

Last edited by htoler; 04-08-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2021 | 06:39 PM
Clint44
Road Warrior

If you lost 11mpg, something isn't right, IMO. That's pretty drastic.

The following users liked this post:
DwDavis (05-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Stage 2 upgrade