Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pull behind trailers Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:39 PM
DanV
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pull behind trailers Pros/Cons

I'm thinking of getting a pull behind trailer. Those of you who have one what have been your experiences? Looking for pros/cons to pulling a trailer with a trike and for different trailer types. TIA

Old 06-26-2018, 12:47 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

My dad towed a trailer all over the country with his 2017 trike with no issues at all, he has a Bushtec trailer. Same trailer that he uses behind his limited CVO. I just started towing this year and wish i would have done it sooner. The bike handles so much better unloaded. The only place you ever notice the trailer is hard take offs and stops although he said behind his trike he rarely knew it was back there. I am sure others will have first hand experience with this but figured I would chime in since i have followed a trike/trailer combo for hundreds of miles.

The following users liked this post:
DanV (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default One of many post.

Originally Posted by DanV
I'm thinking of getting a pull behind trailer. Those of you who have one what have been your experiences? Looking for pros/cons to pulling a trailer with a trike and for different trailer types. TIA
A quick search found this and a bunch of similar threads.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...railers-2.html

The warranty issue is always a subject of discussion with many opinions. However, it seems it is a no no for many dealers and HD if it is an engine or drive train related claim. But your 2014 model may not be concerned about this, unless you have an ESP also.

Last edited by so60; 06-26-2018 at 04:59 PM.
DanV (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 PM
sprinkman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with a inline single wheel trailer you don't know its back there and very little difference in gas mileage.

DanV (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Have towed a Bushtec trailer for about 80,000 miles behind an Ultra and now 14 trike. Other than fuel mileage never had a problem or wore out anything. Watch pulling up to gas pumps it is easy to forget it is back there and you need to go wider.

DanV (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 08:24 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought my trailer from , mini trailer in oaklahoma , wanted american made torsion suspension , and no imported crap ( I BELEIVE IN BUYING MADE IN AMERICA ) When it is available ! I H have an 08 ultra , and running at 80 mph i do not know it is there !! I call it " my wifes luggage " and she can take anything she wants. it is nice to have the bike without all the weight and easy to get what she wants without unloading and repacking the bike . We have about 50,000 miles on it and would not travel without it . tire pressure and tongue weight is the only thing you need to check , look at mini trailer i bought the shadow with luggage rack and spare tire and swivel hitch .
. it is also nice to just take day stuff with you and leave trailer a hotel /motel .remember it is there at gas stations and tight turns YOU WILL BE HAPPY TO OWN ONE !!!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:31 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,966 Likes on 19,387 Posts
Old 06-26-2018, 08:37 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

love it

Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

We have well over 100K on our '03 Aluma. On our 2nd year behind our '16 TG. The only down side I can see is friends asking if you'll carry their extra junk on a trip. Seriously, pulling our trailer has make our road trips very enjoyable. Take your luggage, throw and go. Always pulls great. Highly recommended.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:29 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,244 Likes on 2,473 Posts

Originally Posted by DanV

I probably have close to 100k miles pulling trailers behind 2 wheel and 3 wheel Harleys.

I don't use a cargo trailer much any more. We've found that we can fit everything we need for a trip on the trike, and with the upgrades we've made to the suspension, it handles/rides fine.
However, for camping we have a pop-up tent trailer. Currently we have a Leesure Lite and it is great. Pulls great, handles great, with a good Stage I and some extra cooling there is plenty of power and it does not over-stress the engine.

We've also had a Bunkhouse, nice trailer, but a little big and heavier, and in the winds, you can feel it a bit.

Another great trailer is the Time-Out...In fact, we may trade our Leesure Lite for a Time-Out, simply for the extra room. (we had a Time-Out many years ago, before the Bunkhouse, and sort of miss the extra room)

Cons to any trailer (cargo or pop-up):

Will void warranty
Will overheat the engine more quickly, unless you've done some work to cool it down
Not as easy to maneuver in tight situations...but not a terrible inconvenience, just something to be aware of.
Stops a little slower (on wet roads, can be quite a bit slower), and need more room in lane changes, etc.

btw, we still have our Piggyback trailer, with a swivel hitch, It works great, and I still use it now and then to haul loads. It easily handles a weeks worth of grocery shopping. It's an inexpensive option also.

Last edited by DK Custom; 06-27-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Pull behind trailers Pros/Cons