Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Rear Axle Bearing Retainer Plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020 | 07:22 PM
WesternVet
Intermediate

Interesting... any improvement on the 19/20 trikes?
thx

and thx for quick response on my order today

Old 08-05-2020 | 01:01 AM
DK Custom
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by WesternVet
Interesting... any improvement on the 19/20 trikes?
thx

and thx for quick response on my order today
Yes, they work the same on 19/20 trikes. The OEM parts on the 19/20 trikes are the same flimsy plates as on previous years.

Old 08-05-2020 | 01:24 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Having "floating" axle shats has anyone ever experienced an axle shaft (due to the bearing pressed on) seperating from the shaft allowing the shaft to come out of the tube?
(At one time on some vehicle axle shafts, a "locking ring" was pressed on the shaft after the bearing that further prevented this).

What is the average life span of the rear axlle bearings?

And I'm assuming (we all know how that works out) that the OEM stamped metal retainers have some "flex" that contibutes to the wheel/axle "slop"?

Old 08-05-2020 | 07:51 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

My question how the heck can HD make this stuff so shoddy? It is the stuff nightmares are made of.
A guy like me without a nearby machine shop and no press how can I do this type of work?
And you are really lucky you found this problem before your trip.
So do you make house calls?

Old 08-05-2020 | 11:11 PM
JS2
Cruiser

After going through the process two winters ago the biggest hurdle with replacing the OE with the DK retainer plates really was getting the axle bearings pressed off and on.

Local (well known and long-lived) HD dealership service department had my OE loaded axles (I removed myself but don't have a press) for 6 weeks, where they broke two of their own 20-ton and 30-ton manual presses trying to remove the bearings. I pulled out the service manual to point out that the bearings can require up to 35 to 40 tons to get them on and off. Master techs had to take the axles to a heavy-duty truck service center with a 50-ton hydraulic press to press the bearings on and off finally.

Pretty bad when the top dealership (not really too many locations nearby) in the state says "we've never had to press trike axle bearings on and off because ( they've ) never seen bad bearings and nobody replaces the retainer plates..."
Bad service is a gripe for another time... Sucks to be the first one over the wall, but I'd do it again for the peace of mind replacing the OE plates.

Ride safe.

JS2

Old 08-07-2020 | 09:58 PM
DK Custom
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
My question how the heck can HD make this stuff so shoddy? It is the stuff nightmares are made of.
A guy like me without a nearby machine shop and no press how can I do this type of work?
And you are really lucky you found this problem before your trip.
So do you make house calls?
Yes, it was quite surprising when we first discovered this...but with the roads we were going to be traveling on that trip, there is no way I wanted to take a chance. It was VERY fortunate to have tracked it down before we left.

Anywhere that works on Semi Trucks can do it for you.

I'd love to hop on the bike and come out your way for a ride...but, I would just take it to your local truck tire shop...can't bring the press on the bike.

Last edited by DK Custom; 08-07-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2020 | 10:01 PM
DK Custom
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by JS2
After going through the process two winters ago the biggest hurdle with replacing the OE with the DK retainer plates really was getting the axle bearings pressed off and on.

Local (well known and long-lived) HD dealership service department had my OE loaded axles (I removed myself but don't have a press) for 6 weeks, where they broke two of their own 20-ton and 30-ton manual presses trying to remove the bearings. I pulled out the service manual to point out that the bearings can require up to 35 to 40 tons to get them on and off. Master techs had to take the axles to a heavy-duty truck service center with a 50-ton hydraulic press to press the bearings on and off finally.

Pretty bad when the top dealership (not really too many locations nearby) in the state says "we've never had to press trike axle bearings on and off because ( they've ) never seen bad bearings and nobody replaces the retainer plates..."
Bad service is a gripe for another time... Sucks to be the first one over the wall, but I'd do it again for the peace of mind replacing the OE plates.

Ride safe.

JS2
Every time we've seen a trike in the shop because the splines were chewed up from bad plates or broken c-clips, the dealership just gets a whole new rear end, already assembled, and installs it. They make more $ that way than doing preventative maintenance.

Good to hear you have it sorted and everything is solid now.

The following users liked this post:
JS2 (08-08-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 10:09 PM
DK Custom
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Having "floating" axle shats has anyone ever experienced an axle shaft (due to the bearing pressed on) seperating from the shaft allowing the shaft to come out of the tube?
(At one time on some vehicle axle shafts, a "locking ring" was pressed on the shaft after the bearing that further prevented this).

What is the average life span of the rear axlle bearings?

And I'm assuming (we all know how that works out) that the OEM stamped metal retainers have some "flex" that contibutes to the wheel/axle "slop"?
If you look at the photo's in post #2 above you will see that the bearings, besides being pressed on and besides having bearing retainers pressed on, they also have a snap clip as a further safety. I've never had a bearing fail, but have heard of others that have...probably hit and miss on them, just like on the front wheel bearings.

Old 08-11-2020 | 10:37 AM
Longbeard71
Cruiser

Kevin which bearing did you use to replace it with? If not HD do you have a part number?
Thanks

Old 08-11-2020 | 11:57 AM
DK Custom
|
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Longbeard71
Kevin which bearing did you use to replace it with? If not HD do you have a part number?
Thanks
I wish I would have kept that...but, on the other hand, don't want to get into a discussion on which bearings are best/better, etc.

I got the measurements of the HD bearing and took it to a local auto parts shop...gave them to them and they got matching bearings for me (they're not an uncommon size). I don't remember what brand, only that I wanted American made. It took an extra couple of days for them to get the USA made.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Bearing Retainer Plates