Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018 | 07:55 AM
laabdog
|
Cruiser
Default Front wheel bearings

im sending my wheels out to get chromed. Need to take front beating out of the front tire. Do they push straight thru or do they bump against a shoulder
thank you

Old 01-24-2018 | 09:47 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

there is a shoulder they push into. they need to be pulled out with the proper tool and then replaced with the proper tool. the new 25mm bearings have to be replaced every time they get removed. once removed they are trash.

Old 01-25-2018 | 06:20 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by hardheaded
there is a shoulder they push into. they need to be pulled out with the proper tool and then replaced with the proper tool. the new 25mm bearings have to be replaced every time they get removed. once removed they are trash.
Have to disagree with bearings being trash after removal. I had a set of wheels powdercoated on my 2013 and put the old bearing back in. I had no problems in the 20,000 miles I put on it before trade in

Old 01-28-2018 | 08:25 AM
cochon
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bronxbill
Have to disagree with bearings being trash after removal. I had a set of wheels powdercoated on my 2013 and put the old bearing back in. I had no problems in the 20,000 miles I put on it before trade in

While I kind of agree with bronxbill, I think that there should be a disclaimer attached to his statement. I have seen bearings that were removed using pretty primitive methods. For example, a punch and chisel. These bearings, I would never use again under any circumstances. Especially on the front wheel of a bike/trike. However, if you are careful and you know what you're doing, I wouldn't have any worries re-using a bearing, especially if it felt good when I checked it.

Old 01-28-2018 | 11:53 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

if you are using the correct tools to remove these bearings, you are side loading the bearing. they tell you not to reuse these bearings. i do think when you side load these bearings, they are done.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018 | 12:31 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by bronxbill
Just because you got lucky doesn`t mean it was the correct way to do it.

The service manual says "Discard bearing", there is a reason for that, and it is not just to sell new bearings.

The bearings are removed by pressing out against the inner race, this cross loads the bearing and the ***** can dimple the races.

There is no way to check for this damage after the bearing is removed, so you take your chances if you re use the bearings.

Any ball bearing removed in this manner should go right into the scrap bin, no matter what the application.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-28-2018 at 12:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan89FLSTC:
Campy Roadie (01-28-2018), hardheaded (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018 | 12:52 PM
L88
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hardheaded
if you are using the correct tools to remove these bearings, you are side loading the bearing. they tell you not to reuse these bearings. i do think when you side load these bearings, they are done.

this^^^^
They may not be done, or appear to not be done, but they have been twisted on in manner they are not designed to be.

Old 01-28-2018 | 12:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Enough said about it above but one thing you need to keep in mind.

Only one bearing bottoms on the shoulder when you go back together. The other stops on that inner long spacer on the inside race. Be sure to bottom correct side so wheel sets in there centered and the rotors and calipers will all go back like you took it off.
It is in service manual for correct side.

Old 01-28-2018 | 04:12 PM
motorhead72767
Stage III

why would anyone reuse a bearing that was pulled out?they do get tweaked,and your LIFE could be at risk by doing something like that,not worth it to me.But who am i?Oh my bike is going in for new wheel bearings at 5800 miles

Old 01-28-2018 | 04:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by motorhead72767
why would anyone reuse a bearing that was pulled out?they do get tweaked,and your LIFE could be at risk by doing something like that,not worth it to me.But who am i?Oh my bike is going in for new wheel bearings at 5800 miles
You are correct on that. When you press in the new, you push on the outer race so no press pushes on the ***** to the race running surface.

Only way to pull them is to reach inside and pull out on that inner race which puts the ball bearings against the running race doing the press work.

If you can afford doing cosmetic work, you can afford new OEM races.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-28-2018 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (01-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearings