Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Why do I feel more comfortable with left turns?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 AM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,822 Likes on 1,762 Posts

Anyone in your bloodline race NASCAR?

Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts

Maybe the tighter right turns, you're turning the handlebars further and trying to accelerate out with your hands at a 'different' angle, might feel like having less control. I remember that it took me quite a while to get the throttle smooth on right-handers at first, it felt weird.

You also slow down more, so accelerate more coming out of the turn; that unloads the front tire and makes it slip a tad more, that might feel odd, too.

(Technically, tire slip generates turning force. To a point. After that point you go straight when you don't want to. Well, unless your also-unloaded inside tire loses traction first when you're going slow, then it squawks and acceleration stops instead with an open differential. Or at speed, both rears may break free, then all of a sudden you're drifting. All good reasons not to go full throttle while coming out of a right-hander.)

Old 10-11-2017, 11:38 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

my sportbike days did help me with turns and understanding how to really use counter steering well. I still use counter steering for these big bikes so making a left or right hand turn is the same for me since i rely on counter steering more than just leaning. I think every rider could benefit from reading two very important books. Twist of the wrist and twist of the wrist 2. Teaches you how to take turns, how to take the apex of the turn...how to look through the turns and how to use counter steering instead of trying to "lean further" if you think you wont make the turn. Honestly id guess about 10 out of every 10K bikers know about any of that. Saved my bacon more than once.

Last edited by saltlick; 10-11-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:41 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by saltlick
my sportbike days did help me with turns and understanding how to really use counter steering well. I still use counter steering for these big bikes so making a left or right hand turn is the same for me since i rely on counter steering more than just leaning. I think every rider could benefit from reading two very important books. Twist of the wrist and twist of the wrist 2. Teaches you how to take turns, how to take the apex of the turn...how to look through the turns and how to use counter steering instead of trying to "lean further" if you think you wont make the turn. Honestly id guess about 10 out of every 10K bikers know about any of that. Saved my bacon more than once.
There isn't any Counter Steering with Trikes......You steer just like an ATV...
Turn the bars in the direction you want to go...?

Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

There isn't any Counter Steering with Trikes......You steer just like an ATV...
Turn the bars in the direction you want to go...?

Unless of course you are not "drifting" around a tight corner on a dirt/gravel/wet pavement. Under those conditions you can have a blast.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Could be some sort of upper body issue...shoulder, even a wrist.

Other than that is is probably something subconscious, like what rhino mentioned.

In a right curve you are being pushed toward oncoming traffic...in a left you are being pushed toward the side of the road.

On the TG I think I am equally comfortable with left or right...although, there is always a chance of hitting a curve too fast and going wide into oncoming traffic in a right, whereas in a left I would not.

On two wheels I feel more comfortable leaned over in a left than a right...BUT, because there are more tight rights I end up dragging my boards or pegs more on the right than the left.

I know, in my mind, there is the psychological factor that if I low side (sand, oil, squirrel) in a right, the chance of me sliding into oncoming traffic is a factor.
this by far makes the most sense to me.

The following users liked this post:
Fearless (old nickname) (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:44 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Neither one seems better or worse to me. Like others have said, I go where I'm looking so I always look thru the end of the turn and usually end up there. Up here on the twisties in the mountains I see more people off the side of the road because they started going too far over and that's where they end up looking and the bike follows.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:29 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 476 Likes on 242 Posts

The primary and belt drive are on the left , when you turn left you carry that load easier than when you turn right . Bikes with the primary on the left and final drive on the right do seem to turn left or right in a more balanced manner

Last edited by Low budget Dan; 10-13-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:41 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

It's control of clutch especially on these slipper ones friction zone is very tight just have get used to it.