Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

TG Tie Down in Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:23 PM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default TG Tie Down in Trailer

I have a cargo trailer that I am setting up to haul my TG to Phoenix. I noticed several posts that say you shouldn't place the tie downs on the crash bar and instead suggested tying to triple tree. The crash bar seems like a really good place to me. What is the disadvantage of tying to it? I have an anchored E-Track to connect the other end to and the front wheel will be in a wheel chock. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:52 PM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I just run a strap though the front wheel and one strap on the strap loops under each rear shock.....The case protectors AKA cash bars are only clipped on and i 'me wouldn't use them..... Be sides if you use the two loops and though the front wheel strapping method, Thats all you need....IMO....

The following users liked this post:
Cagmo (09-16-2021)
Old 10-05-2017, 04:29 PM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Engine guard bolts aren't that strong to use as a tie down point. I use a chock and secure the front wheel so the forks don't get compressed and possibly blow the seals.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino 2
I just run a strap though the front wheel and one strap on the strap loops under each rear shock.....The case protectors AKA cash bars are only clipped on and i 'me wouldn't use them..... Be sides if you use the two loops and though the front wheel strapping method, Thats all you need....IMO....
What this says ^

Old 10-06-2017, 06:31 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I use a front wheel chock, two short tie downs under the rear in the slots provided, plus one on each side from passenger foot rest. Have towed my 2016 over 10,000 miles the past 2 summers with no issues.

The following users liked this post:
TOHOG (09-09-2021)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:08 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 187 Posts

I use a Condor chock (with out the clam part) with E-trac on both sides of the chock and double strap through the front wheel (pulling forward). I also have E-trac on both sides of the rear wheels and run a single strap though each rear wheel. No loading of the suspension at all.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 PM
TEP
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just trailered my '17 Tri Glide from Green Bay, WI to Palm Springs, CA (2451 miles) in a 6 x 10 cargo van with one ratchet strap each from the rear axle tie downs to D rings on the floor and a strap through a front wheel chock. For added measure I attached a loop tie down to each engine guard to floor D rings. Nothing moved.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:20 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Biker Bar

I use one of these and that's it. Also use one for my Road Glide and nothing else. Makes trailering very easy. I actually have one of these, new, for sale but I think it has a bar for a softail and not a touring bike, but you could pick up a touring bar for not too much. B&W makes them if you want to find one locally.

Attached Thumbnails TG Tie Down in Trailer-bwbikerbar_2_500.jpg  
Old 09-07-2021, 06:17 PM
jetspeed8
Tourer
Veteran: Army
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy49
I use one of these and that's it. Also use one for my Road Glide and nothing else. Makes trailering very easy. I actually have one of these, new, for sale but I think it has a bar for a softail and not a touring bike, but you could pick up a touring bar for not too much. B&W makes them if you want to find one locally.
Did you have to do any modification, to the Biker Bar, in order to get the right height for the frame to lock in, or is the Tri-Glide low enough linke a Ultra Classic? If the height is right I would use a Biker Bas as well. How do you secure the front wheel to keep it from slipping over to one side?

Old 09-07-2021, 07:37 PM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jetspeed8
Did you have to do any modification, to the Biker Bar, in order to get the right height for the frame to lock in, or is the Tri-Glide low enough linke a Ultra Classic? If the height is right I would use a Biker Bas as well. How do you secure the front wheel to keep it from slipping over to one side?
The trike I was talking about in that post was a 2013 Road Glide that had a Motor Trike conversion kit on it. Since that time we traded the Road Glide trike in for a 2019 all Harley Tri Glide. I could not get the biker bar to work with the TriGlide. I think it might be possible but you'd have to make your own bar for the trike. Now I just use a Condor wheel chock and tie downs on the rear of the trike.

Quick Reply: TG Tie Down in Trailer