Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trikes ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Hi-perf old poop
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trikes ?

Thinking about a trike in future. I like the look of the freewheeler , but what do you guys and gals think of it. Is it thought of as a girly ride like the road queen ? I think lighter trike faster trike and I don't need all the extra room , will be packing ol lady a bunch. If I could get rack to fit on rear deck lid would be great , but if not that's OK. Its hard enough to have to go to a trike and just don't want to think I am on a sissy trike.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:03 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

I just got a tri-glide ultra, turned 200 miles tonight. Not really sure at this point if I like it or not. Doesnt matter as I have no choice.
Hard to steer, feels like a car without power steering.
Does not lean, you have to physically turn the wheel to the stops to make a u turn, fees strange.
Rides hard, car tires on rear are not even close to a full size bike regarding ride.
Plenty of storage, I put a rack on the tour pak, not necessary tho.

Best thing I think is to rent one for a day or 1/2 day with your boss lady, you will have a better feel for it when the time comes to make the decision.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I was considering a trike when my Ultra starts being to much to handle. I rode the Freewheeler and the Triglide at demo days. I hated the Freewheeler it handled so bad I told the Harley Rep he better check it. The Triglide was much better but I agree it's big and bulky. I really don't like the price of Triglides. I will most likely go with a smaller bike when the time comes.

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (05-20-2020)
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 344 Likes on 247 Posts

I don't think of them as sissy trikes.

I know a lot of folks that make fun of the can am spyders and the other snow mobiles on wheels but I don't think I've ever heard anyone laugh at the traditional trikes.

twoglides13 (05-20-2020)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

The only people I see bad mouthing trikes are people that never rode one or people that did ride one without knowing how to ride it. Riding a trike is a whole different animal from riding a bike but it's just as much fun when you know how to do it. If it's under consideration, you really need to not only look at triglides and freewheelers, but conversions too. There are a lot of really quality conversion kits available and IRS and mechanical reverse is something Harley does not have. Given the way a freewheeler rear end opens up, you may want to rethink a rack.

Kip Rouse (08-11-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:12 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I rode a Triglide a couple of years ago at demonstration days. My impression was pretty good straight down the road. It handled well, the ride was near what my Ultra was like, and like you, the turning at a corner was hard to do.

I remember riding an old 3 wheel "Servicar" years ago. It had a 45" engine, gear shift on the tank, clutch on the left floorboard, a springer front end. Talk about a bucket of bolts! But, almost all car dealers had one that could hook on a bumper to bring a customer's car to the service area.

When the time came for me to quit riding recently, I considered the trike briefly. For me, it ain't motorcycling if you can't swoop the curves and corners. To each his own choice. I gave up instead.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
I just got a tri-glide ultra, turned 200 miles tonight. Not really sure at this point if I like it or not. Doesnt matter as I have no choice.
Hard to steer, feels like a car without power steering.
Does not lean, you have to physically turn the wheel to the stops to make a u turn, fees strange.
Rides hard, car tires on rear are not even close to a full size bike regarding ride.
Plenty of storage, I put a rack on the tour pak, not necessary tho.

Best thing I think is to rent one for a day or 1/2 day with your boss lady, you will have a better feel for it when the time comes to make the decision.
You pretty well summed up my feeling when I first got my Tri-Glide, but now with close to 5K on it I'm really starting to enjoy it. I've tweaked the shock and tire pressure and have gotten a very comfortable ride. The wife and I put on a little over 1200 miles to Sturgis last weekend. Had a blast riding the Hills.

Last edited by Firebike32; 08-10-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Redlegvzv (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
I rode a Triglide a couple of years ago at demonstration days. My impression was pretty good straight down the road. It handled well, the ride was near what my Ultra was like, and like you, the turning at a corner was hard to do.

I remember riding an old 3 wheel "Servicar" years ago. It had a 45" engine, gear shift on the tank, clutch on the left floorboard, a springer front end. Talk about a bucket of bolts! But, almost all car dealers had one that could hook on a bumper to bring a customer's car to the service area.

When the time came for me to quit riding recently, I considered the trike briefly. For me, it ain't motorcycling if you can't swoop the curves and corners. To each his own choice. I gave up instead.
Like I said, riding a trike is a whole different thing. Cornering and all that is a chore if you don't know what you are doing. You can't just hop on a trike one day and automatically know how to ride it well. I feel your pain with the servicar. I rode one once and it was no fun at all and it's nothing like riding a modern trike..

Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

When the time comes for me to go to 3 wheels, I'm going with the tilting motorworks conversion.
IMO it will be FAR better than any trike could ever be.
Sure it seems expensive, but I already have a Road King to put it on.
So, it will actually be quite a bit cheaper for me than buying a new trike.

http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-10-2017 at 10:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ragtop:
BikerPepe` (08-11-2017), KYBill (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 11:56 PM
nickrat
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 67 Posts

When the time comes for me to go to 3 wheels, I'm going with the tilting motorworks conversion.
I saw these online when my dad was talking about a trike. I thought it looked neat but I've never actually seen one on the road or talked to anyone who has one or has even rode one. But the trike talk didn't last, he's 72 and still riding his 02 Road Glide. I hope I'm still riding at 72.

Quick Reply: Trikes ?