Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Would They Steal My Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017 | 08:08 AM
ISP-FLHTK
|
Road Captain
Default Would They Steal My Trike?

Couple nights ago we had made it into Missoula Montana from northern Washington, slowly making our way toward Deadwood and the rally. We were in a decent campground on the edge of town just off I-90. Went to bed with the TG loaded on the open Aluma trailer and all hooked up because we were pulling out in the morning.

About 12:30am we both woke up because the RV moved. Since our bedroom is in the back it felt like someone had stepped up on the Aluma trailer. Wife looked out back window and I turned on rear backup camera, nothing there but Trike on the trailer. But we did notice there didn't seem to be any wind or anything going on that would cause the RV to move. Watched for a few minutes, didn't see anyone around, and went back to bed.

About 15 minutes later same movement. This time I got my pants on, armed myself, grabbed a flashlight and outside I went. Checked all around half expecting to see or at least hear someone or something. Nothing. Came back inside, sat up until 2am, then slept on the couch the rest of the night.

Fixed my coffee in the morning and fired up the computer. Checked some of the news and what do your know. There was a 5.8 quake in Lincoln Montana at around 12:30am with a couple big aftershocks. We were about 50 miles south of there as the crow flies.

Mystery solved. Now I am back to thinking no one wants to steal a Trike.

The following users liked this post:
RedOregon (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017 | 08:12 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Headed to the rally? Well, one thing is for sure ... you won't be late :>)

Old 07-07-2017 | 08:13 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior

Reading your story, I figured there was some animal prowling around out there. But, an earthquake in Montana? That's different.
Glad it didn't do more than wake ya.

The following users liked this post:
ISP-FLHTK (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017 | 07:29 AM
captbob
Tourer

I have been thinking about what your inclination was to get armed and check things out. Unfortunately, it reminds me of the sad story related to Larry Weaver and the POS's that stole his bike and killed him in the process.

My take on it is that the first thought might be to protect your wife and yourself inside your RV and dial 911 if someone is trying to steal your stuff. It is generally not a defensible situation to go out and aggress someone with a gun even if they are stealing your stuff. However, if they come inside your domicile and you have no way of escape, you generally are completely within your rights to take the perp(s) down. Even then, you may face a big hassle from LEO's depending on the State that this happens and likely law suits from the POS's families.

A buddy of mine who has been a LEO for a long time and also taught at one of our academies here in Florida suggests never acting as a LEO and let them do their jobs if it doesn't involve your personal safety. It is NOT worth you or your wife's life to protect your trike IMHO.

Old 07-08-2017 | 07:41 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by captbob
I have been thinking about what your inclination was to get armed and check things out. Unfortunately, it reminds me of the sad story related to Larry Weaver and the POS's that stole his bike and killed him in the process.

My take on it is that the first thought might be to protect your wife and yourself inside your RV and dial 911 if someone is trying to steal your stuff. It is generally not a defensible situation to go out and aggress someone with a gun even if they are stealing your stuff. However, if they come inside your domicile and you have no way of escape, you generally are completely within your rights to take the perp(s) down. Even then, you may face a big hassle from LEO's depending on the State that this happens and likely law suits from the POS's families.

A buddy of mine who has been a LEO for a long time and also taught at one of our academies here in Florida suggests never acting as a LEO and let them do their jobs if it doesn't involve your personal safety. It is NOT worth you or your wife's life to protect your trike IMHO.

Yeah.....Because when seconds count, the cops'll be there in about 45 minutes.

Old 07-08-2017 | 08:02 AM
ISP-FLHTK
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by captbob

All good advise CaptBob, actually I have probably given similar advise. There is only one problem with me following that advise. For 32 years I was that guy in blue that responded at 3am to calls like this. The guy that drove the last 2 blocks with no lights on and using the parking brake so there wouldn't even be any brake lights come on....got out and snuck around looking for the intruder in the dark. Just not in my DNA to sit inside and wait for a brother in blue to come do what I can still do.

The following 3 users liked this post by ISP-FLHTK:
captbob (07-08-2017), JTimes (07-08-2017), Thor (07-11-2017)
Old 07-08-2017 | 08:10 AM
ISP-FLHTK
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Headed to the rally? Well, one thing is for sure ... you won't be late :>)
Actually we left home (SW Florida) over 5 weeks ago. Went north to Illinois, turned left and went to the Pacific, turned right then right again and started back east. Will be dropping down southeast a little now but won't get in to Deadwood until Monday so if anything happens on the road we could be late!