Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

cracking tin

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Garinsr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy cracking tin

I have a 2016 tri glide and recently had the right fender replace due to cracking. The dealer was able to replace it under warranty but now I noticed the other day when cleaning it, a small similar crack in the trunk body where the right fender is attached. I will watch for creeping but I hope this is not an indicator that the WHOLE body is going bad. I only have about 1400 miles on it.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:29 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Shouldn't be doing that. Sounds to me like something somewhere isn't tightened down right and you've got some excess vibration going on. I'd set aside some weekend to grab a beer or two and go over every fastener on the *** end that you can find and check to see if something needs snugging up.

The following users liked this post:
rgk (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

i noticed a small crack on top my left fender where it bolts to the body and didn't know if was in the paint of the fender. it comes out into three small little lines. you can really see it after you wax it.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,239 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Garinsr
I have a 2016 tri glide and recently had the right fender replace due to cracking. The dealer was able to replace it under warranty but now I noticed the other day when cleaning it, a small similar crack in the trunk body where the right fender is attached. I will watch for creeping but I hope this is not an indicator that the WHOLE body is going bad. I only have about 1400 miles on it.
Originally Posted by hardheaded
i noticed a small crack on top my left fender where it bolts to the body and didn't know if was in the paint of the fender. it comes out into three small little lines. you can really see it after you wax it.

Both you guys should be still in the warranty period. I would get them in and get it fixed under warranty.

Front fender is all metal. Rear fenders and body are NO metal...all some sort of very strong plastic/PVC.

In any case, barring them having been hit (in which case your insurance should pay for it) that kind of thing is under warranty.

Make sure you address it as a structural problem, not an aesthetic one. HD has a 3 foot rule on aesthetics...if there is a flaw in the paint or clear that is not visible from 3 feet away, it is not covered under the warranty.

Once you get it back from being repaired under warranty, like Red says, check all fasteners to make sure nothing else is rattling, causing a problem.

The following users liked this post:
RedOregon (06-29-2017)