Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

LED Daytime Headlight Visibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 199 Likes on 136 Posts
Default LED Daytime Headlight Visibility

So, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this. (Sorry if this is long!)
Since the introduction of the new LED headlights, I have noticed a distinct lack of visibility of the headlights on the road during daylight. Specifically, I can be in the front of a group of riders and not be able to tell where bikes are in the pack behind me unless they have the old style (pre-Rushmore, usually) headlight bulbs. Frequently, one friend is the last guy in the group on his 2012 trike and I can clearly see his lights.
The LED lights definitely are nice at night, but in the daylight it's like you have to have them aimed right at you to even know they are on.
A friend and I recently installed our lift kits and went through the process of adjusting the headlight to compensate. His was right on after the install. Mine was a foot low before the install and worse after, of course.
He and I went out and tested visibility of the headlights as we trailed each other (he is on a 2017, I am on a 2106). I could only see his headlight sporadically as he went went up and down on gentle hills and he said the same after we switched. As I had told him, his headlight appeared to be off, as I have experienced before.
A theory we discussed was would it have anything to do with viewing the headlights behind me in my mirrors? (Crazy thought that the LED light does not reflect well in a mirror unless aimed right at it?) We plan on testing visibility without looking in the mirror.
Anyway, wondering what your thoughts are or if you have even noticed it. Obviously, being seen during the daylight is a critical safety factor.
Thanks!
And, by the way, the use of a 5/32, ball end hex wrench is critical for adjusting the headlight beam. What a pain!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:39 AM
rhino 2
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob
So, I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this. (Sorry if this is long!)
Since the introduction of the new LED headlights, I have noticed a distinct lack of visibility of the headlights on the road during daylight. Specifically, I can be in the front of a group of riders and not be able to tell where bikes are in the pack behind me unless they have the old style (pre-Rushmore, usually) headlight bulbs. Frequently, one friend is the last guy in the group on his 2012 trike and I can clearly see his lights.
The LED lights definitely are nice at night, but in the daylight it's like you have to have them aimed right at you to even know they are on.
A friend and I recently installed our lift kits and went through the process of adjusting the headlight to compensate. His was right on after the install. Mine was a foot low before the install and worse after, of course.
He and I went out and tested visibility of the headlights as we trailed each other (he is on a 2017, I am on a 2106). I could only see his headlight sporadically as he went went up and down on gentle hills and he said the same after we switched. As I had told him, his headlight appeared to be off, as I have experienced before.
A theory we discussed was would it have anything to do with viewing the headlights behind me in my mirrors? (Crazy thought that the LED light does not reflect well in a mirror unless aimed right at it?) We plan on testing visibility without looking in the mirror.
Anyway, wondering what your thoughts are or if you have even noticed it. Obviously, being seen during the daylight is a critical safety factor.
Thanks!
And, by the way, the use of a 5/32, ball end hex wrench is critical for adjusting the headlight beam. What a pain!
The LED's are narrow beam's....You probably noticed that with newer oncoming car headlights... Every time they hit a little rise in the pavement , You sometimes think their flashing the high beams at you...
Nature of the beast...Also brighter lights aren't safer at night, You'll just drive faster knowing you can see further, So you can Wack that deer harder...

Last edited by rhino 2; 05-16-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts

The reason is that they focus the light where needed, so there is less 'leakage' in other directions. Plus the old ones used the reflector on the back, so it's a bigger, softer light than the narrow, LED forward-only beam.

Another big thing I wonder is if a lot of people put on a lift kit and never went back and adjusted the headlight. That couple of degrees tilting forward by raising the back might make a big difference if it was adjusted slightly low in the first place I know it made a difference on mine.

The following users liked this post:
Hogdoc45 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Good to know I'm not the only one who thought the newer lights were less visible during the day. I installed CD Ringz specifically so our trike would be more easily seen during daylight hours.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of them are less visible. They still need to turn on their brights. When my buddy does with his daymaker LED on his RG, I notice his above all others.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,181 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The worse LED for daytime visibility is the Truck Light. I use to get the "Your Lights Are Off" flash all the time.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:17 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 199 Likes on 136 Posts

It is good to know it's not just me. I have been concerned that I think it's dangerous in the daylight. So much so that I purchased and installed some of the DK lights and have them bolted under the floorboards. They are LED, but put out a less "narrow" beam, which people tell me can definitely be seen. (Lights and HD aux power kit together was less than $100.)
I have never seen my own trike to know just how visible the headlight is in the daylight, of course. After installing the lift kit and adjusting the headlight up to compensate, I just know it's the best I can do.
I still ride like I am invisible to cagers, regardless!