Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

The time has come

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default The time has come

Hang on this is going to be long winded and a bit of a rant, which may or may not be left in its entirety.

It's been an interesting ride, I've been fortunate in life to do many different things. I've wrenched on cars since I was 12 years old, I rebuilt old muscle cars, owned a body shop, drag raced and also worked at being a crew chief on a few drag cars. I've had a good ride wrenching and riding motorcycles, everything from rice to a Harley.

My profession is a Supervisor at a major chemical manufacturing plant. Part of my job is developing our future leader and operators, I take great pleasure in seeing someone I had an impact on become a supervisor, or a top notch operator. My mechanical and computer knowledge has helped me go pretty far.

I've always been a self help type of person, if it doesn't exist, I simply make it or find something close and modify the hell out of it till it suites my purpose. There is a certain pleasure when you've taken your battered grease stained hands and made something useful with them. I've always gotten a sense of satisfaction of doing my own thing, whether it be building my own PC, building a high HP blown injected race car engine, or building my own motorcycle engines.

I've had an online presence in one form or another since the late 1980's when I bought my 1st PC. I first spent my time logging onto what used to be called BBS's, using at the time a whopping state of the art 2400 baud modem. I was just a simple user at the time. I then moved onto owning a multi line BBS featuring online games, mail and news networks. I've even been a member of the admin on a few of those mail and news networks. With the increasing popularity and easier access to the Internet, it spelled the demise of the BBS era. I closed up shop and became one of the internet masses.

At first it was just surfing and reading news groups, then it became a source of information on everything from cooking to cars to hunting to motorcycles. I've been on many of quality forums over the years, some still have that special look, feel and comradery. While others have changed in ways that made me wonder why, most of the time it was greed for the almighty dollar.

I've seen vendors come and vendors go on a good many forums I'm a member of. Some vendors have a soft touch, they coach and advise the membership of the forum. They don't feel the need to jump up and down waving and screaming pick me, buy my latest widget. A good many of them are soup to nuts craftsman who take pride in making something with their hands and stick to a certain nitch. While others are more or less like a box store. They make a little bit which can be called their own. The rest is bought and repackaged from others who design and build the final product.

I believe with the advent of commercialization there has been a change in the look and feel of the online community. I realize it cost money to offer a service, and a small part of that money comes from the member community. The largest part comes from the sponsors and also vendors.

Anyway, I could go on a little longer, but work calls. I bid everyone adieu, it's been a gas. I'm moving along to other places in search of my happy place. Anyone who wants to touch base with me can shoot me a PM where I will provide my email address.

The following 6 users liked this post by msocko3:
Casper (03-23-2017), iaff84 (03-22-2017), NHBAGGER (03-27-2017), sloufoot (03-22-2017), Steve On 3 (03-23-2017), TheBobs (03-23-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:26 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Mike.
Will keep in touch in other ways.
In a round about way, I agree, sponsors have and will probably will continue to "feel the need to jump up and down waving and screaming pick me, buy my latest widget".
Like you, I am sure we have spent some change with a lot of the sponsors here. In my case, it was the "Some vendors have a soft touch, they coach and advise the membership of the forum" that I spent my money with. The others I felt were more than supported by those that "drank the kool-aid" and bought every gadget that was pitched at them relentlessly.
Again, thanks for a lot of good solid advice over the years.
Dennis Swan

Last edited by iaff84; 03-22-2017 at 05:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:54 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

M3, being someone who has been a wealth of hands on knowledge, you will be sorely missed. Not much being said about the old stuff any more. I'll shoot you an email from time to time. About time for a big F-350 DRW and Jayco 5th wheel toy hauler. I'll give you a shout when I make my Nova Scotia run! Best wishes!

Old 03-23-2017, 01:36 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

M3,
Will sure miss your knowledge and insight...but understand....
Take care, ride safe my friend..

TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:55 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

M3
Your knowledge will be missed, take care and keep the knowledge base going wherever you land. Without challenge of idea's, data, our personal knowledge would never evolve to be the best it can be.
Take Care.

TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 05:51 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 438 Likes on 144 Posts

Mike,

You'll be missed. You have given quite a few of us sound advice and mechanical knowledge on our TriGlides. I personally would like to thank you for that. I agree with you about the online community and understand where you're coming from. I hope you find your happy place.

John C
A.K.A. Bubba

TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 06:07 AM
WRE4U
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts
Thumbs up

Yes sir you will be missed! I have always have read your posts and look forward to the fine advice you have given! Sounds as if you have led a rewarding, exciting, and full life, hopefully one that will continue for years to come.

TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Recan
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I haven't been here long but have come to appreciate your posts. I'm sure your curiosity will make your pursuits exciting. Have fun.

TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

M3..you will be missed for sure! I haven't communicated with you directly, but your dad and I have tried to stay in touch. Missed both of you on your not-so-recent trip to the Tetons.

Good luck with your future plans.

TheBobs (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 11:02 AM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Always appreciated your insight and technical approach to various issues - a voice of reason when things get a little over the top.

Your presence will be missed on this forum but like most, I certainly appreciate where you are coming from.

Good luck in finding that "happy place"...

Cheers
Doug

TheBobs (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: The time has come