Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM
laabdog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners

2016 triglide here. Vance and Hines slip ons looking mane to do air filter change. What is the difference of just getting a k&m filter to getting a Harley airefilter kit that's open more in back. Looking also at Vance and Hines fuel fp3. Would that's all I need even if I changed later to 2 and one pipes. I see some you have to have dealer tune some are self tune. Last thing I want to do is blow my bike up. But for now just pipes and air cleaner with tuner anything else might need that's not to much money for it to run great. Hear Harley's run lean?
thanks tom

Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

With those changes, not sure you really need a tuner.
With that said, if you decide to do a tuner you might want to consider a Powervison.
TTS are also very good but being a techy would help.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

The difference between a K&N replacement element and a Harley stage 1 is going to be very little on a Rushmore bike or trike with just an AC and free flowing exhaust, the Rushmore AC is actually pretty good. With a Stage 1 setup you may see about a 2 percent increase in HP and around a 3 to 5 percent increase in torque. There are some Stage 1 kits out there who claim larger increase in HP and torque but I'm skeptical because the mainstream averages as seen from several top notch shops fall in the 3 to 5 % range. That small of an increase is going to be hard to feel, you get more bang from exhaust and a decent tune.

As for tuners, if you're going to limit your changes to exhaust and possibly air cleaner, the FP3 will do the trick. If you decide to start bumping displacement, porting heads and changing cams, I'd look at either the TTS or Powervision. The Powervision can generally be had for a pretty fair price from Fuelmoto, who will also supply a base map.

You mention auto tune. In all reality there is no such thing as auto tune, it's more or less what Judge Judy would call Puffery. All tuners are going to need interaction to obtain the best running engine possible. A good tune is more than just setting the ve tables and the afr, if you just stop there you only have half the tune.

Another thought comes to mind when you mention you hear Harley's run lean. Yes they do run on the lean side, as it comes from the factory there can be a pretty nice gain in performance and overall smother running engine from just tuning it and not doing anything else. One thing to keep in mind when still running a catalytic converter. The richer the afr the greater the reaction within the catalyst, this reaction causes heat which will be felt by the rider and passenger.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
laabdog
Cruiser
Default Tuners

The tuners that you all mentioned do you have to have dealer run the tune in trike. And also dyno tune it. What is the difference. Most dealers in my area of Michigan only want to dyno tune it with Harley tuners. Or maybe just tune it that's called putting in a map?

Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

IMO go with the FP3..the maps are based on dyno testing. You can alway do an auto tune. I bought mine for $299 at direct cycle parts. Buy it once for what the dealer is going to charge you for one tuning...

Old 03-17-2017, 02:59 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by laabdog
The tuners that you all mentioned do you have to have dealer run the tune in trike. And also dyno tune it. What is the difference. Most dealers in my area of Michigan only want to dyno tune it with Harley tuners. Or maybe just tune it that's called putting in a map?
All the mentioned tuners can be used to tune it without a dyno, they'll get it pretty close, especially since you're only doing AC and exhaust. If you are going to stick with V&H products the FP3 would make things simpler.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:37 PM
laabdog
Cruiser

Thanks all

Old 03-18-2017, 08:37 PM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my FP3
Trike runs so smooth and strong
Easy to use
One of the best mods I did

Hap

Old 03-19-2017, 08:25 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Just last week, I bought a Power Vision through Kevin at DK Customs. Thought I got it for a very fair price and talking to Kevin gave me a lot of insight about what I needed to make my bike run better. Thanks Kevin. Shipping was spot on and service was great.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Power Vision for Old Shiney!

PV is really nice for all the other functions it also can handle. the forever support is a warm and fuzzy feeling also three years down the road you have someone to go to for help if needed. That is one of the reasons I chose Power Vision and DK Customs for my money just sayin... Ride safely Fred

Originally Posted by cochon
Just last week, I bought a Power Vision through Kevin at DK Customs. Thought I got it for a very fair price and talking to Kevin gave me a lot of insight about what I needed to make my bike run better. Thanks Kevin. Shipping was spot on and service was great.