Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Thinking about a tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017 | 09:52 PM
HDMSB80
|
Intermediate
Default Thinking about a tri glide

I'm just wanting to see how you guys that have tri glides are liking then. I had a 2013 FXDC and a year ago I was hit by a cage and ended up with the bike flipping and breaking my lower left leg.Long story short after plates and screws to fix the bones in my leg I'm ready to get back to riding i was wanting to move up to a street glide before the wreck but just not sure about a heavy bike with my leg now . Very interested in the tri glide as for safety and the leg issue. I'm curious as to handling & comfort. I do plan on a test ride soon to see if i like the tri glide

Old 03-03-2017 | 10:12 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Test ride, demo days or rent one....that's going to be your best answer. How I like it may not be relevant to how you'll like one....

Old 03-03-2017 | 10:26 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

i bought one after losing my left at the knee after hitting a deer on my 12 streetglide. i was second guessing myself at first , but after riding it one time i was sold. the thing handles like a slot car and stops pretty damn good too. i had to put a hand shifter on mine, but if i could shift it with my left foot two wheelers wouldn't be able to keep up on the twisties. takes alittle getting use to, but i like mine, comfortable.

Old 03-04-2017 | 12:41 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain

Loving every ride, and don't look back too much. I miss the leaning into the curve on a perfect road, don't think I will ever get over that. I think all of us that used to ride on 2, and have gone to 3 will say, it is a great ride but in a different way. On a windy long day ride, I love the fact it does not bother me in the least. I still ride with many 2 wheel friends and enjoy just as much. Sometimes we just have to admit with our health conditions, we are lucky to still be able to ride. I for one know I could not safely enjoy the 2 wheel any more. Best of luck with your choices. Look around for a dealer that will let you test drive without renting. Our dealer said take it as long as you like, he wanted to be sure we were comfortable, and making the right choice. We rode for a good 1/2 day and returned the next day for another long ride. It takes a good couple of hundred miles to be one with a trike, but once you do, I think you will love it.

The following users liked this post:
Casper (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017 | 06:01 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Default Rent one

Best advice you can get give it a try without spending thousands of dollars. But when you do get ready to do just that. We love our old triglide had not ridden in 40 or so years back in the seat now. I don't believe I would go back to two wheels now. The trikes are so relaxing and I have a secure feeling all around. And I can't drop it in the parking lot or loose it in a turn. Good luck on what you decide I think you have already made the choice, welcome to the three wheel world you will love it. ride safely fearless. Here is a picture of our old club.

Casper (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017 | 07:07 AM
rugerman63
Cruiser

three yrs ago we bought a 2012 tri, never gave it a second though after the test ride with the better half on the back, she loved it and said its so much safer than our "ultra classic's" we have had in the past. don't have to even think about putting your feet down, just drive it and enjoy every minute of it. as for comfort its the most comfortable harley i have been on. riding it all day long is a pleasure.
two weeks after buying it we took it across country on a 5 week journey loved every day of it. now 3yrs and 26k miles later were thinking about selling it.
wife is looking at a sports car and is thinking about not riding any more.
i am going to possibly go back on TWO wheels and solo.
pm me

Fearless (old nickname) (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017 | 08:48 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

I bought mine while just riding with a buddy that was shopping for one. Dealer was trying to make him such a good deal on end of year 2016 that I couldn't help myself and bought one instead of him that day.

My point is, I had never even sat on one. When I left the dealership after buying it I actually thought I had made a big mistake for the first day or so. It is just a different ride because as someone else said, you "drive it instead of ride it". You need a couple days on one and not just 20 minutes of test driving.

I still miss 2 wheels once and awhile but I will never get rid of my TG. At age 64 it is my daily driver plus we travel on it during the summer.

Old 03-04-2017 | 08:50 AM
rhino 2
Tourer

Originally Posted by HDMSB80
I'm just wanting to see how you guys that have tri glides are liking then. I had a 2013 FXDC and a year ago I was hit by a cage and ended up with the bike flipping and breaking my lower left leg.Long story short after plates and screws to fix the bones in my leg I'm ready to get back to riding i was wanting to move up to a street glide before the wreck but just not sure about a heavy bike with my leg now . Very interested in the tri glide as for safety and the leg issue. I'm curious as to handling & comfort. I do plan on a test ride soon to see if i like the tri glide
Test ride one.... Handling, Cant tip over, And if you have to make a panic stop with 3 wheels theres no drama, Keep your feet on the floor boards and you stop without putting feet down and trying to balance a bike..As far as the ride.. you'll feel every bump in the road...And thats the nature of 3 wheels...No matter how much you spend on trying to improve the ride...

Old 03-04-2017 | 10:17 AM
joe momma
Tourer

....in 09 I bought new t/g....it took some time for me to adjust...did not like it on day one....but now....I really like it....64 thou on the odo........if you have a leg repair and want to ride....I think you should not chance reinjuring your self....GO FOR IT......I am lucky...I still have my two wheeler...but the tri is the long haul rider....enjoy...I would recommend you rent one.....and ride it as long as you can.....just might work for you.....best of luck..

Old 03-04-2017 | 04:05 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member

Have you thought of getting a lighter bike so you can stay on 2 wheels? In in a similar boat with my hip and picked up a 296lb dual sport so I could use it when the harley felt too heavy.

A 3 wheeler will feel the bumps you can dodge on 2 wheels as well. Food for thought, good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a tri glide