Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Infotainment System: Has anyone had this problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 PM
rotcart
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Infotainment System: Has anyone had this problem

I have a 2014 Tri Glide and I was on a trip when I was listening to Sirius radio and it dropped down to the weather band. I changed it back and it continued to change on its own do this numerous times. The weather then changed and the sky opened up with rain and wind so heavy that I could hardly see the front of the bike. At this point the infotainment system went dark and came back about 30 seconds later with a lot of vertical and horizontal lines on the screen. Then the system came back again but kept dropping to the weather band continually.
I went to the Pelham AL HD dealer and they said that the radio was one update behind so they said to update the system and pull the master fuse to reset the radio. I did that but that never corrected the problem.
I went to my HD dealer when I got back to Canada and they had no idea what the problem would be and would have to contact HD to see if they have had any issues but I can not get my bike in till August.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:33 PM
rotcart
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if the infotainment system is covered under the extended warranty as I am getting conflicting answers.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:06 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

My experience is that's not something normally covered by extended warranties however your dealer should be able to answer that question. You may also want to try posting both your questions in the Audio Forum. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2016, 05:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

Here's what's covered & yes you should be covered

http://cdn-2.psndealer.com/e2/dealer...20Brochure.pdf

CB RADIO/INTERCOM
Cables
Console Pod
Headset
Microphone
Jacks
Splitter
Transmitter/Receiver
SIDECAR HARDWARE
Brake Rotor
Brake Caliper
Fittings
Hinges
Hub
Latches
Lines
Mounting Hardware
Spindle
Suspension
Wheel Bearings
AUDIO ENTERTAINMENT
GROUP
CD Player/Tape Deck
Receiver
FACTORY ELECTRONICS
Bluetooth
Navigation Devices

The following users liked this post:
ncdeekay (07-15-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rotcart
I have a 2014 Tri Glide and I was on a trip when I was listening to Sirius radio and it dropped down to the weather band. I changed it back and it continued to change on its own do this numerous times. The weather then changed and the sky opened up with rain and wind so heavy that I could hardly see the front of the bike. At this point the infotainment system went dark and came back about 30 seconds later with a lot of vertical and horizontal lines on the screen. Then the system came back again but kept dropping to the weather band continually.
I went to the Pelham AL HD dealer and they said that the radio was one update behind so they said to update the system and pull the master fuse to reset the radio. I did that but that never corrected the problem.
I went to my HD dealer when I got back to Canada and they had no idea what the problem would be and would have to contact HD to see if they have had any issues but I can not get my bike in till August.
Make sure you let the entire system boot up before you start the bike. You need to get to the accept screen. If you don't wait the system has problems because it has not fully booted. Not saying that this is what is happening to you, but I had a lot of flakey issues with that system until I started waiting for the accept. Shitty design.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:03 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

I had that happen once while riding, it changed back about 4 times before during and after the storm. Once i got through the area though it continued to work like normal and i haven't seen that happen again. Yesterday i had a phone call come in that i ignored, after it stopped ringing the system would not read my ipod, i switched to fm and back a few times with no luck. After about an hour i tried again and it worked like it should.

There are bugs in this system that are very annoying, good thing none of them are as bad as the Gps, I wouldn't depend on it for nothing.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 PM
midiwiz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gitarded
Make sure you let the entire system boot up before you start the bike. You need to get to the accept screen. If you don't wait the system has problems because it has not fully booted. Not saying that this is what is happening to you, but I had a lot of flakey issues with that system until I started waiting for the accept. Shitty design.
there is no need to do that, the latest load takes longer to boot. the engine running and the infotainment system are separate. Better keep in mind those daytimers will drain a battery in under 10 minutes.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:00 PM
midiwiz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by show-n-go
I had that happen once while riding, it changed back about 4 times before during and after the storm. Once i got through the area though it continued to work like normal and i haven't seen that happen again. Yesterday i had a phone call come in that i ignored, after it stopped ringing the system would not read my ipod, i switched to fm and back a few times with no luck. After about an hour i tried again and it worked like it should.

There are bugs in this system that are very annoying, good thing none of them are as bad as the Gps, I wouldn't depend on it for nothing.
and this is why.... there are many bugs in the infotainment system.

start screen roulette
channel 'panel' won't stay always have to restart from the beginning
shuffle algorithm is off
sensitivity issues
poor memory usage, memory leaks

Bottom line the team doing the coding on this system has barely any clue of what they are doing. The technical term is - they suck.

I did hear of an exact fit replacement, forgot who it was.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 AM
scohen930
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment problems

I've had weird things going on too with the Boom audio on my 2015 Ultra Limited. I upgraded to stage 1 but I think the problem was prior to that. Using Bluetooth audio to listen to my music in my IPhone 7. While riding on the interstate the audio output disappears then returns intermittently. Then the Nav map came on all by itself then disappeared. Then no audio system power at all. I stopped the bike shut the ignition several times and still no nav or audio. Went home parked it and called Harley to schedule service.

Took the bike out a few days later then everything returned to normal. The dealer checked the updated etc. and everything was in order. I left the dealer then the audio problem started again. Finally convinced the dealer that the system needed to be replaced. They agreed ordered the parts and everything worked for several weeks until this past week. The audio is again intermittently cutting out using Bluetooth connnection but now other issues with the bike are happening. Cruising with cruise control on the cruise control turned off when I pressed the left handside mode switch. It would not re-engage. Next day it worked again but now I can't start the bike unless it's in neutral and not while in gear even if I hold the clutch lever in.

Harley needs to recall since it seems it's happening to a lot of people. Anybody have similar issues?

Old 09-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

My 2014 TG infotainment center crapped out on me the day I brought it home. I had to turnaround and drive 65 miles back to the dealer to get them to upload the latest update and reset the center. When it occurred the screen went black then came up with the Bar and Shield, it wouldn't power up from there. You figure for 35-40K you'd get a radio system that would work, but it is a Harley and they have been known to be cheap bastards when designing new models (think about the jiffy stand bracket on a trike).

Bubba

Last edited by Bubba49; 09-03-2017 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Infotainment System: Has anyone had this problem