Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hot tri glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Fozworth
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Could it be that my Tri-Glide does not like the synthetic AMSOIL over the HD oil? Does synthetic oil know what to do with air cooled engines?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:52 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

It's not the oil ....... lol

Old 06-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
It's not the oil ....... lol
Like you, I assumed when I asked the dealer to switch to the AMSOIL Synthetic that everything would run even cooler.

Since the heat event happened immediately after my 1000 mile check that included changing the oil I find myself asking. What changed?

A co-worker put the thought in my head that perhaps I should have stayed with the original oil type. (Which is what he chose to do with his Harleys).

He said it shouldn't matter but that there has been some differences of opinion about this through the years.

Anyway, keep smiling.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:30 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Your co worker needs to look at some of the wear ball tests. Mobil1 and Amsoil top the list. H-D Syn 3 is way down the list.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeyTX:
Fearless (old nickname) (06-18-2016), Fozworth (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Amsoil looking good

I just switched tranny to Amsoil clunky clunk clunk all but gone when oil comes due (Mobil 1) I will go to Amsoil motor oil. Primary case I will change as well I read the test reports convinced me. ride safely fearless

The following users liked this post:
Fozworth (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 05:00 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Fearless, sometimes I really think it's more who built it and when. I've had Twin Cam's that seemed to shift better and run quieter on Amsoil whereas the next one seems to thrive on Mobil1 or Castrol. Go figure

Old 06-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Fearless, sometimes I really think it's more who built it and when. I've had Twin Cam's that seemed to shift better and run quieter on Amsoil whereas the next one seems to thrive on Mobil1 or Castrol. Go figure

I was running Mobile 1 an independent shop gave me a deal (I needed to change clutch cables and that is another story however) I was given a quart of Amsoil Tranny oil "if it makes the same Clunk or louder I don't pay for the oil and he will put Mobile 1 back in no charge" Well I paid for the oil gladly it help mine greatly and neutral is so easy to get to. ride safely fearless

Fozworth (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts

Back on topic; has anybody used exhaust wrap on the pipes under the shields? Seems like that would help. A single-overlap on each of the individual pipes, and three or four layers on the cat seems like it should do a lot, but I've never used it before. It looks like it should fit.

At twenty-five dollars, it seems like it would be a big bang for the buck.

Fearless, didn't you try that?

Fozworth (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 09:05 AM
Fozworth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Back on topic; has anybody used exhaust wrap on the pipes under the shields? Seems like that would help. A single-overlap on each of the individual pipes, and three or four layers on the cat seems like it should do a lot, but I've never used it before. It looks like it should fit.

$34,000 dollars later I was told that if I don't figure out what's changed she will not ride on it at 90 degrees ambient.

I can't argue with her. Something did change. I'll be setting up a time for it to go back to make sure the water pump is working along with the fans coming on when they should.

I'm also going to have them go back to the non-synthetic HD oil since that is a change that was made. They told me sometimes they update the tune if a new one comes out. But he said my tune was the latest and greatest.

I haven't been this discouraged in a long time. Maybe we have a winter hobby instead of a spring/summer hobby.

P.S. I haven't given up on everyone's suggestions. I'll be buying some upgrades and maybe go catless, but that means a couple more thousand dollars since I have to go through the dealer.

The end result could mean deeper losses to my retirement funds and a wife that still refuses to get on.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa

I used DEI Titanium wrap in my header pipe seemed make a difference like my signature line shows what old shiney has gone through. Motor temp yesterday for us ran right around 248 to 253 degrees out on the highway in town highest was 267 getting up there. air Temp was 87 to 90. Remember Old Shiney is an 09. I have done a lot to try and control heat if it stays real warm I will remove lowers something the twin cooled machines cannot do. The twin cam moters are big and powerful and heat is one of the trade offs. Remember they are Harley's gotta love'em

Quick Reply: Hot tri glide