Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Anybody hauling their trike in a toy hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016 | 09:14 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
|
Road Master
Default Anybody hauling their trike in a toy hauler?

Is anybody hauling a Tri Glide in a toy hauler/camper trailer? How small of a trailer like that can you get one in?

We were kicking around the idea of something minimal that you can sleep in with the trike still inside, and have a few amenities like a little kitchenette, fridge and a terlit. Maybe a fold-down couch and table with the trike out. And something that a half ton can pull.

As much as I'd rather ride somewhere than use a trailer, I may end up getting something we can stay in for one month business trips and take the trike along. Most of our vacation trips would still be on just the trike.

The alternative is both of us driving a vehicle to the work sites and just staying in a hotel. Yeah, cheaper, I'm sure. Like I said, we were just kicking around the idea, and I thought I'd check here and see if anybody has experience with it.

Here is a link to a 20 footer that is shown holding a quad; a trike should fit, too.

http://www.jayco.com/products/toy-ha...FY-DaQodWXQLpg

Old 04-05-2016 | 09:42 PM
IllinoisCheesehead
Novice

Don't know but curious about it, too. Wife and I were looking at Grey Wolf and Wolf Pack by Forest River a month ago. It seemed the main thing to watch for was total cargo carrying capacity. Some seemed like they'd be real close to being over once you added the trike along with all the other junk you tend to accumulate in an RV over time.

Old 04-05-2016 | 11:30 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I tow a 26 ft 5th wheel toy hauler with a 2014 chevy crew short bed. The 14 tri glide fits great. I had to do a couple of mods. I added 4 inches to the depth of the door pads to decrease the breakover of the ramp. I had to install a slider hitch in the truck bed. The truck is 2 wheel dr, 5.3 v8. The trailer weight is 5500 lbs without the trike, and then add 1500 lbs for a loaded trike. Fuel is around 10 mpg pulling the rig vs 20 mpg. I have been very happy but will probably add a Bully fuel management in the near future. Jim

The following users liked this post:
Oogie Wa Wa (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016 | 09:29 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
|
Road Master

Thanks, Jim, that's the kind of info I need. I don't want to go quite that big, although pulling a 5-er sure is nice. But I need something taller than a tonneau cover to fit my bass amp gear in there. Besides blocks I could raise the tongue, should make loading a non-issue.

IllinoisCheesehead, looked at those and some other ones I can't think of right now. It looks like the 20 to 22 footers would work in most cases. The lightest one I saw was just under 5,000 pounds and was rated 8,000; even my wife would have a hard time filling it enough to exceed that! Oh, shoot, wait; with all tanks full, that would be another thousand pounds besides the trike; maybe not!!!

Old 04-06-2016 | 10:03 AM
IllinoisCheesehead
Novice

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
IllinoisCheesehead, looked at those and some other ones I can't think of right now. It looks like the 20 to 22 footers would work in most cases. The lightest one I saw was just under 5,000 pounds and was rated 8,000; even my wife would have a hard time filling it enough to exceed that! Oh, shoot, wait; with all tanks full, that would be another thousand pounds besides the trike; maybe not!!!
We were looking at the Grey Wolf 27RR because we wanted to have a slideout. Its GVWR is 7934 lbs, dry weight 5960 lbs, leaving only 1974 lbs. for cargo. Add in a 1300 pound trike, a couple of full holding tanks, and that one would be cutting it real close. I think with a 3000 lb. cargo capacity, you'd be fine. It's probably rare that you'd ever have fresh, grey and black tanks all full at the same time, unless you do a lot of dry camping.

Old 04-06-2016 | 11:23 AM
graygoat
Road Master

You didn't say what your pull vehicle is but you might also check that owners group forum for more pulling info. I just upgraded from a Ranger to an F150 and found a lot of info at www.f150forum.com
I only pull a 6x10 v nose (tight but works), so can't help with your toyhauler question. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2016 | 08:44 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
|
Road Master

Thanks, guys. We haven't picked out a truck yet, either, but probably a 3-4 year old 150/1500 with an 8,000# minimum.

Old 04-08-2016 | 08:46 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior

I have a Work & Play 25CB. Very open floor plan. I can get two trikes inside of it. It's considered a 1/2 ton towable trailer IF you have a truck so equipped. I tow it with an F250 diesel.

The very open floor plan allows for plenty of room up front.

The following users liked this post:
Oogie Wa Wa (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016 | 09:56 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
|
Road Master

I saw those, too, Keystone, and wondered if anyone would pipe in about it. If you can put two in there, it really puts it into perspective!

They seem a bit heavy, but have a lot of capacity. Heck, I'm even wondering if that 18 footer might hold a trike. You must even be able to pull one up between the kitchenette and the opposite wall then.

Thanks!

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 04-08-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2016 | 06:43 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior

They are heavier when compared to other trailer the same size. But they are built like a cargo trailer. Yes the you can get a trike in the 18, But I have the need for my trike and another bike. You are correct about being able to go between the kitchen and the wall. The dinette folds flat against the outside wall.

Quick Reply: Anybody hauling their trike in a toy hauler?