Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Freewheeler mounting dismounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016 | 11:34 AM
Mcmister
|
6th Gear
Default Freewheeler mounting dismounting

As a left leg above knee amputee, I'm wondering if there are ideas on how best to mount/dismount?

At 64 y/o I think it's gonna be a little tricky

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Mcmister

Old 02-19-2016 | 11:50 AM
kodiak
Intermediate

Not an amputee, but have really weak legs due to a back injury. I mount my tri glide by planting my left knee on the seat, grab the bars and put right foot on passenger peg, then left leg over seat and sit down. Dismounting I scoot back on the passenger seat and put feet on passenger pegs and then put left knee on seat and get off. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2016 | 11:59 AM
Mcmister
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kodiak
Not an amputee, but have really weak legs due to a back injury. I mount my tri glide by planting my left knee on the seat, grab the bars and put right foot on passenger peg, then left leg over seat and sit down. Dismounting I scoot back on the passenger seat and put feet on passenger pegs and then put left knee on seat and get off. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.
Problem is I can't plant the prosthetic left leg first. I can only lift it straight up... no bending until I sit down. So I'm thinking I'll have to plant my right onto a peg or floorboard and raise up so both feet will be on a peg and swing my right leg over the seat while standing on my left.

I take delivery pretty soon so I'll figure something out even if it's a step stool.

Old 02-19-2016 | 03:25 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser

Get on from the right side. Put your right foot on the passenger floorboard, and stand up, swing left leg over, sit down.

Old 02-19-2016 | 03:47 PM
Mcmister
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by COFLHTK
Get on from the right side. Put your right foot on the passenger floorboard, and stand up, swing left leg over, sit down.
Thanks for the reply

I'll give it a try... hopefully I'm up high enough to swing leg over.

Old 02-19-2016 | 04:13 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

WOW, good luck with getting on and off. Hope you have made provisions for shifting

Old 02-19-2016 | 04:17 PM
Mcmister
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by screwball
WOW, good luck with getting on and off. Hope you have made provisions for shifting
Pingle shifter to the rescue!

Thanks

Old 02-19-2016 | 04:37 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mcmister
Pingle shifter to the rescue!

Thanks
Heard very good things about them. We put a Klinktronic on a friends Road King when he lost his foot mid-calf. Took Jeff about 2 minutes to get used to shifting with his thumb. Never saw a man happier to get back in the saddle than him. His wife was really pissed at us, thought he would give up bikes. This was before Harley Factory trikes and he wasn't interested in converting.

Again, good luck, you will love the trike

Old 02-19-2016 | 05:37 PM
Mcmister
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by screwball
Heard very good things about them. We put a Klinktronic on a friends Road King when he lost his foot mid-calf. Took Jeff about 2 minutes to get used to shifting with his thumb. Never saw a man happier to get back in the saddle than him. His wife was really pissed at us, thought he would give up bikes. This was before Harley Factory trikes and he wasn't interested in converting.

Again, good luck, you will love the trike

Thanks I'm hoping all will be good!

Old 02-20-2016 | 07:18 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member

I have C.P. so I have to back up to the right side of the trike and sit on the passenger portion of the seat. I then hold on to the passenger grab bars , put my right foot on the passenger floorboard, lean back slowly and raise my left leg gently over the tank . I then slide down onto the driver seat. So far been no problems doing it this way. Just be careful to get your leg over the tank and not get caught on anything. i have found with some caution this works well.

Quick Reply: Freewheeler mounting dismounting