Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
I've run in rain where cars are pulling over. One time I road to the Harley dealer in a real heavy rain, they couldn't believe it when they heard a bike pull up. I guess I'm a loose nut, just not much stops me when I'm on a trip or have to get somewhere, I drive a car the same way. Monday it was snowing so hard I couldn't see much more than a foot past the hood of my truck, most of the cars and 18 wheelers where putting along at 25 mph in the right lane. I was cruising along comfortably at 50 - 55 mph in the left lane. I knew the road like the back of my hand and was comfortable with what visible markers I was able to pick up.
Wow! I gotta see more than a 10 feet ahead to keep riding!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Today I got out and rode some.

Here are a few pics of the lower fairing lights.

Time will tell if they hold up to the heat! I hope they do, cause I really like how they look!

They kick the light out onto the ground, plus are very visible from the side.

You can click HERE to see a short video, sorry it's so shaky. It shows the lower lights blinking, along with the Stealth Fender RBT's.

Here's a shot from behind of the Stealth Fender Run-Brake-Turn lights. I like them. But I have decided to put some mud flaps on. So I will be integrating these lights INTO the mud flaps. I think they will look even better...both day and night.

I completely forgot to get pics of the vent lights while outside. Ended up taking them later on inside.

These things have given me a bit of a headache...but I finally have them how I envisioned them. I wanted the entire vent to glow with light, AND, I did not want to see individual LED lights....just a glow of light.

Other considerations were I did not want to block the air from flowing thru the vent, nor did I want any feedback to me of blinding light thru the vent.

I am really happy with how they turned out!

Close-up-

Close up with turn signal going-

Another shot with the Softail backrest blocking the headlight, for a better view of the vent lights.

Neither the lower fairing lights, nor the vent lights are very visible during the day, but come dusk and night, they do their job of making me more visible from the sides and front.

The Stealth Fender RBT's and very visible during the day.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

On another front- One of the things I was testing today was our idea of reducing air onto the rider, while at the same time pushing more air onto the motor.

In the picture below you can barely see something above the lower fairing, to the front of the gas tank.

This worked very well. It redirected almost 100% of the air coming up the front of the tank, and it redirected a good amount of the air that comes between the fairing and the lowers.

This is good news for the rider...reduces buffeting and cold air onto the knees. It is also really good news for the engine, because that redirected air is now being pushed right onto the engine.

Fork deflectors (fangs) and fork baffles are great for keeping the cold & buffeting off the rider...but the downside, and why I don't use them, is that they also block air from cooling the engine.

After riding today with the cruise on, and holding my hand down to see what the air was doing (yeah, a wind tunnel would be way better!) I have a few ideas on how to cut & shape these so they will work even better.

So we'll be testing a few more variations before I settle on the final and get them powder coated.

Much more to come over the next several months!

Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I finally took the time to start and finish all 11 pages of this thread. Interesting about the Power Duals install. I ran into the exact same issue installing them on my '14 FLHTK. I not only went to the OEM cone style port gaskets, I needed to slightly enlarge the hole in the exhaust bracket that attaches at the tranny side cover. that finally sealed it. I had the dealer install your comfort lift kit before they delivered the new triglide last friday. I will continue to follow this thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Wow! I gotta see more than a 10 feet ahead to keep riding!
I've been told a time or two, I wasn't wrapped too tight.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

I totally agree with your addition of driving lights. I've been running those since putting motolights on my BMWs. I am surprised you mounted them on the engine guard. That works pretty good on a standard motorcycle but on a trike where you actually turn the front wheel, I find that caliper mounted lights work better. They point directly where you are pointing on a trike. I will be mounting my CD cool Magic LEDs on a caliper mount as soon as my top bolts arrive. Mounted them with some spare bolts I had but needed longer ones for safety sake. Didn't realize the top bolts on a trike caliper are way longer than the usual 35mm OEM ones. Needed 90mm.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:02 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I finally took the time to start and finish all 11 pages of this thread. Interesting about the Power Duals install. I ran into the exact same issue installing them on my '14 FLHTK. I not only went to the OEM cone style port gaskets, I needed to slightly enlarge the hole in the exhaust bracket that attaches at the tranny side cover. that finally sealed it. I had the dealer install your comfort lift kit before they delivered the new triglide last friday. I will continue to follow this thread
Yeah, this is the first time in dozens and dozens of headers that we have not used the tapered gasket....and the Last time too. lol

Glad to say, we did not have any problem with the bracket.

Good to hear you got it sorted.

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
I totally agree with your addition of driving lights. I've been running those since putting motolights on my BMWs. I am surprised you mounted them on the engine guard. That works pretty good on a standard motorcycle but on a trike where you actually turn the front wheel, I find that caliper mounted lights work better. They point directly where you are pointing on a trike. I will be mounting my CD cool Magic LEDs on a caliper mount as soon as my top bolts arrive. Mounted them with some spare bolts I had but needed longer ones for safety sake. Didn't realize the top bolts on a trike caliper are way longer than the usual 35mm OEM ones. Needed 90mm.

I thought about mounting off the forks or calipers, but went for the wider spread. Generally where I am riding there are a lot of critters.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Another positive point on mounting the lights on the calipers is that the wiring turns with the fairing possibly preventing issues, if I mount them to the engine guard and run the wiring up to the usual places under the batwing, the wiring will not move with the fairing and needs more slack hanging loose. I can see your issue with the critters, there are plenty of them big and small here in Pa.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:56 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Today I got out and rode some.

Here are a few pics of the lower fairing lights.

Time will tell if they hold up to the heat! I hope they do, cause I really like how they look!

They kick the light out onto the ground, plus are very visible from the side.

You can click HERE to see a short video, sorry it's so shaky. It shows the lower lights blinking, along with the Stealth Fender RBT's.

Here's a shot from behind of the Stealth Fender Run-Brake-Turn lights. I like them. But I have decided to put some mud flaps on. So I will be integrating these lights INTO the mud flaps. I think they will look even better...both day and night.

I completely forgot to get pics of the vent lights while outside. Ended up taking them later on inside.

These things have given me a bit of a headache...but I finally have them how I envisioned them. I wanted the entire vent to glow with light, AND, I did not want to see individual LED lights....just a glow of light.

Other considerations were I did not want to block the air from flowing thru the vent, nor did I want any feedback to me of blinding light thru the vent.

I am really happy with how they turned out!

Close-up-

Close up with turn signal going-

Another shot with the Softail backrest blocking the headlight, for a better view of the vent lights.

Neither the lower fairing lights, nor the vent lights are very visible during the day, but come dusk and night, they do their job of making me more visible from the sides and front.

The Stealth Fender RBT's and very visible during the day.

When will the vent lights and mud flap lights be available for sale

Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member

Here in Pa they actually regulate just how many lights you can run in front. I have the CD ringz on my signals that are white until you turn on the signal. I have the CD driving lights on, according to Pa Inspection laws I can not legally run with my headlight, driving lights, passing lights and the ringz all on at once. Imagine if I'd run the vent light too !! Go figure.

Quick Reply: PROJECT TRI-GLIDE Report w/ Lots of Pics