Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Comfort lift install and results

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Comfort lift install and results

After procrastinating for quite some time and being skeptical as to what the lift would do I bought them and installed them. Here is what I found:

The bike looks better
I did not find the steering to be any easier or harder
I did find it much easier to handle at high speeds as the front tire is definitely more planted and the bike is less skittish at higher speeds. My front brake seems to be more effective. There is no question the bike no longer reacts to my high speed micro movements and simply feels more stable on the highway.
The install was not difficult. The only trouble I had was I was unable to fit my torque wrench and socket in to tighten the bottom shock bolts so I guessed how tight I needed to make it. Did anybody else have this problem? Is there a solution to it?
All in all I am very pleased with the results and with the product itself.

Last edited by UppercaseJC; 10-26-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Glad you like the change My triglide is planted on the road like a go kart it handles that well. ride safely fearless

Old 10-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Put them on the wife's trike. Big difference I don't hear that scraping coming in the driveway. Not hard to install. Worst part was working around the V&H Exhaust crossover pipe. But they fit!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:28 PM
holtzd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how is the ride after the lift kit was installed? Is it a smoother ride?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:01 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by holtzd
So how is the ride after the lift kit was installed? Is it a smoother ride?

Yes I would say it is a little softer ride.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I would agree. Wife says its much better for her.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:05 PM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Adding the DK Customs lift kit to my TG made a big difference, to me, in the way it handles. I like that the tips don't scrape anymore coming up my rather steep driveway.
I like the stance of the bike more now, too.
Sterring is much more stable and responds to input better.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:49 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

After I put the lift kit on my trike, I didn't like the way my tour pak set in the back. Maybe I'm ****, but to me it looked out of level. So, I bought a piece of 1x1 aluminum barstock and had a friend of mine mill a taper from 1 inch on one end to 9/16 on the other end. We bored mounting holes in it, and sent the two bars off to get powder coated. I mounted them under the tour pak and now it looks like it came from the factory that way. A plus is that I can more easily wash under the box much easier now and also, I have room to velcro a scabbard for my folding cane under there.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts

Pic. please fearless

Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts

I had the Comfort Lifts installed by a local shop, they seemed to have some issues, but had never worked on a trike before.

If you could get a Crow's Foot on that torque wrench you should have enough clearance. I looked it up; add about 8% to the required torque value specified.

So, after a 2400 mile jaunt, the opinion is; definitely a tad easier to turn, feels somewhat more stable (probably offset a bit by the height addition,) and on most roads it seems somewhat smoother. And it certainly moves you up a bit; more so on the passenger pad. Maybe a bit of more leaning forward, but hardly noticable.

Now on big "bang-er" pavement bumps, they feel more like "bounders;" a less sharp hit, with maybe a bit of forward kick felt instead of as much of an upwards kick. A bit unnerving for the first 50 miles, then you forget it's there.

Bad roads; with as little travel as these suspensions have, it's never going to be pleasant. So not much benefit there. (And no, we're not bottoming out even two up and fully loaded (well withing the max spec.)) Unfortunately, after all those miles, we were reminded just how bad the road our house is on is. We may have found 30 miles out of 2400 that were as bad or worse.

FWIW, we ended up at 40-42 pounds pressure in the shocks for the best ride fully loaded. Normally we're at about 28.

Oh, another bennie; less bending over to put stuff in the trunk! Lots of stuff.

I should also mention I changed out the Krome Werks Ergo Backs for a set of Klock Werks Narrow 2+2s; MUCH better. Between that, the kit, a 3-chamber Mustang seat, an Air Hawk II, extended foodboards, and shifting position around every 15 minutes or so, this is the first time I have ever truly been comfortable on a motorcycle in 30 years. This trip was a pleasure. (Well, if you don't count the 3 days following windy, cold hurricane remnants all the way home, but that's another story!)

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 11-01-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Now it makes more sense

Quick Reply: Comfort lift install and results