Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pros and Cons of a Freewheeler

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 08:11 PM
Twomaples13!
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone get a hot leg while riding?

Originally Posted by screwball
Bought my Freewheeler in September of last year, the first delivered to the dealer. Traded my '09 Tri-Glide, also the first one delivered to the same dealer. Wife and I are pretty much purists, the trikes are almost stock with the exception of comfort stuff. We ride the hell out of them. These (see siggie pix) are the 3rd and 4th trike we have owned. Trikes DO NOT ride easier than 2 wheelers. The ride is rougher, steer harder, and are a pain in the *** to park. That said, I LOVE MY 'FREE. My Ultra was a huge kick in the *** until my knees and hips went south. The trikes were a compromise between no motorcycling or a rocking chair. The 'Free was as close as I could get to my old Dyna. No frills, just lots of go.
Anyone get a hot leg while riding?

Old 07-03-2024, 08:15 PM
Twomaples13!
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by screwball
Bought my Freewheeler in September of last year, the first delivered to the dealer. Traded my '09 Tri-Glide, also the first one delivered to the same dealer. Wife and I are pretty much purists, the trikes are almost stock with the exception of comfort stuff. We ride the hell out of them. These (see siggie pix) are the 3rd and 4th trike we have owned. Trikes DO NOT ride easier than 2 wheelers. The ride is rougher, steer harder, and are a pain in the *** to park. That said, I LOVE MY 'FREE. My Ultra was a huge kick in the *** until my knees and hips went south. The trikes were a compromise between no motorcycling or a rocking chair. The 'Free was as close as I could get to my old Dyna. No frills, just lots of go.
Originally Posted by Noodles107
Got our 17FW this past January. First Trike after a lifetime on 2 wheels. It's a whole different kind of fun and takes a minute to get used to. Especially (at least for me) the coming into a sweeping turn at 50mph is a strange feeling. We love the whole personalization thing and have always tricked out our many rides over the years. This one is a really great platform to go as mild or as wild as you like. I could list the accessories (40 so far) that we have added if you like but here's a couple of pics ...

Love mine,looks just like this , only issue I have is a hot leg/butt while riding

The following users liked this post:
Cootey (07-03-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 04:39 AM
Yamabushi
Supporter
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought mine last December. 61 years old and thought I earned the right to be on 3 wheels. I kept it stock except for a stage 2 and Mustang seat. Ran like a scalded dog.

But I couldn’t get used to the ride, the steering, and truck-sized width. I traded it for a new (and magnificent) 2024 Street Glide in April. Lost a lot on the Freewheeler, but I love my Street Glide.

jim

The following users liked this post:
Cootey (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 08:35 AM
Don60
Tourer
Received 215 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamabushi
I bought mine last December. 61 years old and thought I earned the right to be on 3 wheels. I kept it stock except for a stage 2 and Mustang seat. Ran like a scalded dog.

But I couldn’t get used to the ride, the steering, and truck-sized width. I traded it for a new (and magnificent) 2024 Street Glide in April. Lost a lot on the Freewheeler, but I love my Street Glide.

jim
Congratulations on your new Street Glide. I don't have the physical or financial ability to change back to two wheels so my situation is Harley trike or no Harley. The steering and truck sized width of a trike takes a lot of miles to master and I urge anyone facing the same doubts to persevere. I am on a waitlist for a left shoulder replacement. Pickup at a fast-food window in my car is a very painful experience but steering my trike is no problem. My first year with the trike I found the rear fenders required a lot of extra clearance when maneuvering or parking in the garage. Three years later I know within a couple of inches without looking back where my trike will fit. I do remember the initial awkward moments of trying to feel free on my Freewheeler but it does come. Clunking into first gear and twisting the throttle is priceless and well worth the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Don60:
5wheels (07-04-2024), pappy42 (07-04-2024)