Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trike should be delivered early next week

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM
merlin41
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trike should be delivered early next week

I had an illness a couple of years ago that left me with some nerve damage in my left ear. This can sometime cause me to feel slightly dizzy. I am not ready to give up the 2 wheel experience so for now I'm keeping my 2014 LTD. Having the wife on the back and feeling even slightly off kilter is not good. The day is coming when I have to surrender the 2 wheeler. We test rode a 2015 Tri Glide Ultra on Saturday - my first time ever on a trike of any kind. The torque reaction that causes the handlebars to shimmy at low speed was disconcerting at first. Learning to steer the thing came pretty quickly. After riding for 48 years, I was happy I only put my feet down 3 times at stop signs. Overall it was fun and I put some money down on a Black Magic trike. It's at another dealership and should be in my hands in about a week or so. I can see the wife riding the trike a little but mostly I appreciate the stability I feel when on 3 wheels. It should keep me on the road for as long as I'm on this side of the grass.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Enjoy and ride safe. I really like the paint of the black magic

Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

Strange you mention that handlebar shimmy. I test rode a 2009 and that shimmy was down right scary. When I test rode my trike that wasn't any of that. I am hoping yours won't have any either. Good Luck and enjoy your new ride.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Like you, wife was forced off her Deluxe by a side effect of Chemotherepy. I went to 3 wheels 2 years later after open heart surgery. Not an easy transition for me after 50 years on 2 wheels, but when the choice was 3 wheels or rocking chair the choice was made easy. They are a lot more fun than you think

Ride it in good health!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:32 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,212 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Congrats on the new Trike coming your way!

I, too, was left with little choice for Touring. I resisted it at first, but have come to appreciate and really enjoy the ride of the Tri-Glide. It is different than 2 wheels, but has its' own kind of fun!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Two strokes took me off two wheels and put me on three wheels. It was an easy decision for me, I just couldn't ride bikes safely any more. I'm a little surprised about your comment about shimmy. Shimmy at any speed is not acceptable and should be correctable. We all rode three wheeled Cushmans where I worked, and when they would shimmy, we would bring them in to the shop and align the 3 wheels so that they all were parallel to the direction of travel. That usually stopped the problem until the next time we hit something that knocked them out of whack. I would think that on a Harley trike, it could possibly be something as simple as the rear axle being adjusted out of square when they tightened the drive belt.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin41
I had an illness a couple of years ago that left me with some nerve damage in my left ear. This can sometime cause me to feel slightly dizzy. I am not ready to give up the 2 wheel experience so for now I'm keeping my 2014 LTD. Having the wife on the back and feeling even slightly off kilter is not good. The day is coming when I have to surrender the 2 wheeler. We test rode a 2015 Tri Glide Ultra on Saturday - my first time ever on a trike of any kind. The torque reaction that causes the handlebars to shimmy at low speed was disconcerting at first. Learning to steer the thing came pretty quickly. After riding for 48 years, I was happy I only put my feet down 3 times at stop signs. Overall it was fun and I put some money down on a Black Magic trike. It's at another dealership and should be in my hands in about a week or so. I can see the wife riding the trike a little but mostly I appreciate the stability I feel when on 3 wheels. It should keep me on the road for as long as I'm on this side of the grass.
Congrats on your coming new ride. That shimmy you felt on the rental you test drove should never exist if the stabilizer is working properly. My 2009 had the low speed shimmy and when I took it in for service the technician fond that the stabilizer had leaked and was weak. He replaced it and no more shimmy at any speed. If you have this problem on your new ride make sure the dealership repairs it under warranty. The stabilizer is a $500 part.

Last edited by Tryker Dude; 06-23-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Thumbs up Congrats!

We had not ridden in 40 years when my bride said she would ride on 3 not 2 we went shopping right then could not be happier. Any questions about them these guys that live here are a God send for solving problems. ride safely fearless.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a 2015 Ultra Classic last October and have 4k miles on it now. I have no problems riding it at all solo. But last weekend we did a 3 day trip two up. Either I got really rusty over the winter or my two wheel days are coming to and end sooner than later. Wife and I discussed and looked at 3 wheels this weekend, she's all in. Just don't know if I'd kit mine or trade for a TriGlide.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Save time and money

I would look at both ways but believe me I love Old Shiney noise and all

Quick Reply: Trike should be delivered early next week