Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

rear light

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM
bikernutgoofy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear light

I was told that the rear lights on the fenders were LED but the Harley Shop said they were just regular bulbs, I have a 2015 coming soon and want to go to LED if this is true but I see in the Parts book they get $349 for them, rather pricey

Old 04-03-2015, 06:25 PM
dltimmons
Novice

I replaced the regular bulbs in my tail lights with LED bulbs and the front signal bulbs with amber LED bulbs on my 2011 XXX.

Tail, brake, and turn signals much brighter than regular bulbs. I didn't bother to splice the resisters into the wiring on these, so, the turn signals do hyper flash, but I kind of like it and think it draws more attention to the signals when I use them.

Might not be as fancy as the entire LED lights from Harley, but three hundred some less, and a lot better than stock.

Added the LED light strips on each side of the trunk door which have tail, turn, and brake light function, and you can definitely see me from the back at night.

Have fun with it, that's the main thing.

DT

Old 04-03-2015, 06:33 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dltimmons
I replaced the regular bulbs in my tail lights with LED bulbs and the front signal bulbs with amber LED bulbs on my 2011 XXX.

Tail, brake, and turn signals much brighter than regular bulbs. I didn't bother to splice the resisters into the wiring on these, so, the turn signals do hyper flash, but I kind of like it and think it draws more attention to the signals when I use them.

Might not be as fancy as the entire LED lights from Harley, but three hundred some less, and a lot better than stock.

Added the LED light strips on each side of the trunk door which have tail, turn, and brake light function, and you can definitely see me from the back at night.

DT
Does the lack of an equalizing resister play havoc with the security system?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 PM
dltimmons
Novice

I haven't noticed anything different with the sec. system since I did the lights. What kind of problem might you suspect?

DT

Old 04-03-2015, 07:02 PM
wijr1949
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dltimmons

DT
Where did you find the LED bulbs and other lights you mentioned?
From what you describe, the bulbs you found came in some kind of kit.
I have seen some LED bulbs at auto parts houses.
Mostly 1156 or 1157 replacements.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:24 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my 07 Ultra, I did LEDs before Harley had them ... messed up the siren II functions ... installed equalizer resisters and it worked fine after that ... I guess if you don't have the siren II, it might be fine.

Another thing ... my 15 is a can bus ... tricity and I are not the best friends ... I don't understand the can bus, so I'm leery of doing "stuff" to it ... mt dealer said "Just don't do anything to it and you'll be fine." ... so I haven't, except stuff designed for it.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

First I did the LED bulb thing but really didn't like it. Brighter than stock, but not as bright as I wanted.

Then I went to Custom Dynamics and settled on Dynamic Ringz for the front and Gensis II squareback taillights.

All were true plug and play, took a total of <15 minutes to install, in the hotel parking lot. Afterwards turn on the 4-ways for a minute to sync everything up.

VERY BRIGHT and very noticeable so I'm told.

Cost? I bought mine from the Daytona CD dealer at PCB rally last year, they were running a rally special and it was less than $300 for all. They would have installed but I didn't want to wait in line. I've been told they look way better than the Harley version.

Another option is the BAL, but it is too rich for my pocket when you have to buy 2.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Springman65
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,

I have take sort of a different stance on this.....

I decide to keep my taillights and signal lights stock and use the bulbs. The last and are reasonably bright and can be found anywhere.

But, I do recognize the need/safety advantages for making my vehicle highly visible to others......

So, I am in the process of installing some Custom Dynamics LEDs around my FLRT to do that.....

I will keep you posted.

Springman

Old 04-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,694 Likes on 6,486 Posts

I went with Kuryakyn Low Profile LED tail lights w/o license plate window (#5437) and Kuryakyn Load Equalizer (#5857). Kuryakyn's Load Equalizer is compatible with the TSSM. Both are plug and play. I did consider the Harley's LED tail light, but did not want the Chrome Bezel plus the cost was more.

Last edited by 470004; 04-04-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Put these on my front signal lights of the trike. Everything in the front is the same color but the blinker is amber. Just turned on the flashers for a minute and everything works fine.
http://smile.amazon.com/Custom-Dynam...QEKZ40V1HM8KA0

I did not put LED's on the rear fenders because I tow a trailer with LED's adding them to the fenders would not really add to the brightness of the rear.

Quick Reply: rear light