Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

shifting minus left leg

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,618 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default shifting minus left leg

anyone shifting their bike with an above the knee left leg amputation without an electric shifter ? let me know how you are doing it. this is driving me crazy.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
dltimmons
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a below knee left leg ampt. and am able to use a heel toe shift by lifting the entire leg and bumping down on the shift lever, back one to upshift, front one for down.

I'm a lot slower shifting than I used to be before the loss of the leg, put it does work for me.

My FLHXXX had a Kliktronic electric shifter on it, when I bought it used, and I do like it, but am still able to shift a bike using the above.

The only option that I am aware of for you, not using an electric shifter, is a suicide shift conversion, with the clutch lever attached to the shift handle, so you can clutch and shift at the same time.

One other option might also work, but it is really pricey, and I don't know how well it works: That is to go to an automatic shift conversion.

I have read a little about these and seen some videos posted showing them in operation. They look pretty sweet, but they are costly.

Good luck with what ever route you go, it may take a couple of tries to get comfortable with what ever you do, but being able to ride again is well worth it.

DT

Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

tried on my new leg yesterday and took a few steps with it. man did it hurt alot, couldn't put all my weight on it. they say i did real good with it, but i don't see myself riding a two wheeler again and shifting is going to be a bitch for sure no matter on a two or three wheeler. all i can do is go at it as hard i can. felt pretty down when i left the place. these guys are spending quite a bit of time with me and trying to get it dialed in. i guess only time will tell. at this point i would just be happy walking again.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

Yes.

http://www.theroadhawgs.com/01_2015_jan_issue.html

In that magazine is usually a LARGE spread about a gal who is minus a leg and I think contact info if u want to learn how to ride that way.

I am exhausted so I did not go thru that mag to make sure but the last several I went thru did. If it is not there, pls PM me and I will make sure I get the info for you.

BuzzCap7

Old 01-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardheaded,

E-mail sent.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:38 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

trying to get on my bike with this new left leg. how in the hell are you guys getting on the bike? i tried and tried and i can't get on the thing.maybe on a trike, i don't know.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:47 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This works for me

The 'suicide lever' is so I can get it into neutral and it's especially easy when coming up to the lights as I can nudge it back or forward to get neutral.

Since having the clutch recall I find it easier selecting neutral with the buttons.