Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Shorty Antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Shorty Antenna?

On the 2014 TriGlides, being we only have one antenna, I really don't listen all that much to the radio. I listen to I Pod & Sirius. I am thinking about a shorty antenna. With the shorty, I don't see any that list WB? Will the WB still work with a shorty? I do sometimes give the WB a quick listen.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

My riding buddy took his off and replaced them with a chrome acorn nut. The radio still works perfectly.

He did this for the CB too. He doesn't use the CB so he didn't measure SWR's. If anyone does this and wants to use a CB also... be sure to measure SWR's as it may damage your CB when transmitting.

Why did he take his antenna off? He got tired of them being in the way of his TP.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:38 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

We have the HD shortys. Might be a little loss in reception, but not enough to worry about. CB works, WB works as does the AM/FM. We just never use AM/FM so I have not paid much attention to reception. The few times I have listened to the WD reception was okay.

Bill

Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've purchased the HD Hidden antenna ... anyone use this? Does it work well? Haven't put it on yet as the instructions say gotta be at least 60 degrees for adhesive to work ... Wondering if I should return them? I to don't listen to am/fm and I can get weather via sirius if I need it ... usually just look up .... tells me all I really need to know. I bought the hidden cause I wanted to remove the antennas altogether, like the look of fat bottom girl sans whips ... she's not into that which is a good thing for me ... LOL

Old 01-04-2015, 02:46 PM
paw paw willie
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the hidden antenna on my 11 & 13 TG's. If there was any reception loss I didn't notice it.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 PM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Im only concerned about the weather band?

Old 01-04-2015, 07:27 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by billnourse
We have the HD shortys. Might be a little loss in reception, but not enough to worry about. CB works, WB works as does the AM/FM. We just never use AM/FM so I have not paid much attention to reception. The few times I have listened to the WD reception was okay.

Bill
See above

Old 01-06-2015, 03:32 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
My riding buddy took his off and replaced them with a chrome acorn nut.
Do you (or anyone) know the thread size for the nut? I have taken mine off and put a Kuryakyn 853 tune trapper antenna in the pizza box but I don't want or need to take the thread off.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 PM
FuzzyWuzHe
Road Captain

It is an M6

Old 01-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The wife on her trike and me on the Ultra use the CB quite a bit on trips. She had the HD shorties and we had trouble. I could see her in the mirror but could not talk to her. At Sturgis last year I was telling the guys at J & M Audio about the problem. He said HD does not check the standing wave any more and especially on the shorty antennas. He said they had a set of shortie antennas that were as tuned as you can get without pulling the fairing and putting on a meter to adjust. Only $15 each. Since we had the bikes in the lot he installed them. WOW what a difference. I could hear and transmit at least tripple the range I could before. FM and WB Radio was about the same. Best $30 I spent all vacation.

Quick Reply: Shorty Antenna?