Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Another Starter Switch Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Another Starter Switch Failure

This time its my turn. Decided to take the Triglide for a little spin and after backing out of the garage the starter engaged and wouldn't disengage just like my dads has done on 2 separate occasions. Right now I'm fuming! For some reason these things must not like water, because both mine and my dads have been ridden in lots of rain while on vacations. The only fortunate thing is it failed at home vs on a trip, had it failed on a trip I may have posted a for sale sign on it and moved on to something else. Loaded it up on the trailer and dropped it off at the dealer so they can make the needed repairs under warranty. I will be calling HD customer service Monday morning to notify them of my dilemma because I have a 5 day trip planed for next Friday and I'm taking the Trike.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M3, sorry to hear that. will it quit cranking with kill or ignition switch off? Had a 82 shovel would keep cranking even after switch turned off, ( drive was sticking in flywheel keeping solinoid engaged) was in 1st gear the first time did it and almost drug me and my sons out in traffic trying to hold it back. Installed a battery switch after that.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bullet 10
M3, sorry to hear that. will it quit cranking with kill or ignition switch off? Had a 82 shovel would keep cranking even after switch turned off, ( drive was sticking in flywheel keeping solinoid engaged) was in 1st gear the first time did it and almost drug me and my sons out in traffic trying to hold it back. Installed a battery switch after that.
It will quit with either the kill or the ignition switch turned off.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
This time its my turn. Decided to take the Triglide for a little spin and after backing out of the garage the starter engaged and wouldn't disengage just like my dads has done on 2 separate occasions. Right now I'm fuming! For some reason these things must not like water, because both mine and my dads have been ridden in lots of rain while on vacations. The only fortunate thing is it failed at home vs on a trip, had it failed on a trip I may have posted a for sale sign on it and moved on to something else. Loaded it up on the trailer and dropped it off at the dealer so they can make the needed repairs under warranty. I will be calling HD customer service Monday morning to notify them of my dilemma because I have a 5 day trip planed for next Friday and I'm taking the Trike.
Beware of the heat! Another scorcher forecast for next weekend. FWIW, this heat should at least dry out your moisture issues.

Last edited by Boom; 07-24-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
It will quit with either the kill or the ignition switch turned off.
M3, isn't the switch common for all touring bikes? That puts a lot of rides at risk if so.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Vernl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a can of compressed air right beside my can of flat fix in the truck. I blow out all my switches/controls if they get wet.So far no issues after getting a good soaking

Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBobs
M3, isn't the switch common for all touring bikes? That puts a lot of rides at risk if so.
You are correct, that switch is common to all bikes. I believe it is just an issue with the TG because of its wiring of the reverse. Just a quess on my part.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Vernl
I keep a can of compressed air right beside my can of flat fix in the truck. I blow out all my switches/controls if they get wet.So far no issues after getting a good soaking
What bugs the heck out of me is my 2006 Ultra Classic is no stranger to the rain, its taken more than its fair share of soakings since I've owned it. The only water related issue I've had with that one is the radio display went south within the 1st year which was replaced promptly by the dealer. Heck even my 05 Electraglide Classic took several rides in the rain and I've always washed my bikes about once a week when they have been ridden.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
You are correct, that switch is common to all bikes. I believe it is just an issue with the TG because of its wiring of the reverse. Just a quess on my part.
It's worth a look at the wiring schematics and take a closer look at that area.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

I has the same issue on my deluxe w/sidecar over a year ago. They replaced the switch and I never had another problem. It was the same thing, starter would engage as soon as I turned the ignition on and wouldn't cut off. I originally thought it was an engine problem because of the noise the starter made while engaged.

Bubba

Quick Reply: Another Starter Switch Failure