Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New Trike Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Went to the dealer last night to see the "FIX" for the crooked saddlebags. I was thinking they wouldn't make me happy, but guess what, they looked fine to me. So I'm happy. At least they didn't have to drill new holes in the body. What they did, and I had suggested, was modify the bracket on the back of the saddlebags. They relocated the top mounting hole about 1" to the side.

So, for all those that are thinking on getting these bags, watch out on how you locate the bottom 2 posts. My dealer is now adjusting the way they install the bags. Hopefully he will try to convince the MoCo to revise their instruction sheet so this doesn't happen to someone else.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Went to the dealer last night to see the "FIX" for the crooked saddlebags. I was thinking they wouldn't make me happy, but guess what, they looked fine to me. So I'm happy. At least they didn't have to drill new holes in the body. What they did, and I had suggested, was modify the bracket on the back of the saddlebags. They relocated the top mounting hole about 1" to the side.

So, for all those that are thinking on getting these bags, watch out on how you locate the bottom 2 posts. My dealer is now adjusting the way they install the bags. Hopefully he will try to convince the MoCo to revise their instruction sheet so this doesn't happen to someone else.
Glad to hear you got the bags fixed, Gary. Perseverance paid off.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Yes, but the agravation wasn't fun.
At least it turned out better then I thought it would.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
BigSpanky
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
I've had couple passengers....no interference...the saddlebags sit back aways from the passenger floorboards. Be nice and handy for Miss Linda to reach down and grab a water bottles, etc.!!
Hi Barb;
Like you, I recently bought the 2013 Anniversary Trike (#1228) and want to have the saddlebags added before I pick it up in May (putting additional down payment thus the wait). It's already in the back of the store with my name on it, and last week when my wife (she's 4' 11" tall) sat in the passenger seat we discovered her feet won't completely reach the passenger footboards (tippy toes). So the dealership order me an extended reach passenger footboard kit, which raises the passenger footboard up another two inches from it's highest position. My question for you is do you think the saddlebags will still fit without interfering with her legs? Could you possibly take a tape measure and give me the dimensions of the saddlebags, height with, depth at the top where they are deepest? Any info you can provide with greatly help me in my decision making process.....

Thanks Much, Jim

Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigSpanky
Hi Barb;
Like you, I recently bought the 2013 Anniversary Trike (#1228) and want to have the saddlebags added before I pick it up in May (putting additional down payment thus the wait). It's already in the back of the store with my name on it, and last week when my wife (she's 4' 11" tall) sat in the passenger seat we discovered her feet won't completely reach the passenger footboards (tippy toes). So the dealership order me an extended reach passenger footboard kit, which raises the passenger footboard up another two inches from it's highest position. My question for you is do you think the saddlebags will still fit without interfering with her legs? Could you possibly take a tape measure and give me the dimensions of the saddlebags, height with, depth at the top where they are deepest? Any info you can provide with greatly help me in my decision making process.....

Thanks Much, Jim
Height: 12"
Width: 6-1/2"
Depth: 12" w/o lid open

I would suggest you have wife sit in passenger seat and place one of the saddlebags where they would mount. I don't think they'll be the way from reading some of the comments above.

Last edited by BinIdaho; 03-23-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: width and depth measurement transposed
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM
53servicar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trike saddle bags

just installed tri glide saddle bags on my 13,i like the looks and function& quick disconnect wife and I tour a lot in us & Canada more storage the better,we both traded in our bikes (08 sg & 06 softie),still getting used to 3 wheels...mentaly.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi gang, just thought I'd add my two cents worth to this thread. I have had the trike saddle bags on my '09 for about 3 years now, and have loved having them. The right side bag I keep my extra gloves, doo rags and small riding accessories, plus my air pump for the shocks. The left side is used for holding my liquids, small snacks and other long range nutritional (keep awake) aides. I installed them myself using the supplied templates. And if I remember right there were 2 of them, one for each side. Installation was easy for me, having the right tools and ability to follow instructions. I would guess that I spent an hour and a half for the install.

Now, the following may or may not help some of you out should you ever need to repair the flimsy leather hinges on the lids. Now I'm not saying that I'm senile or anything like that, but I have on a couple of occassions opened the the left side bag while seated and forgot to close the lid before dismounting. Yep, my right leg came over and right down on top of the lid, tearing the leather hinge partially in two. The second time ripped the lid completely off. My fix was to trim away any remaining leather hinge and replace it with a small brass hinge using eigth inch ALUMINUM pop rivets. I'm enclosing a photo to show the results of the repair. Please disregard the dust, the TG has been down and in storage. Hope this bit of wisdom helps someone.

Oh yea, I had to repair and reattach the small cable that holds the lid partiallyopen.

Attached Thumbnails New Trike Saddlebags-p1030620.jpg   New Trike Saddlebags-p1030622.jpg  

Last edited by Tryker Dude; 02-16-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Tryker Dude.....like your idea of metal hinges! I haven't caught my foot/leg in one, but have forgot to close going down the road. The small chrome-like dodad that opens the lid have lost the rivets....had parts mgr glue them back on (HD doesn't stock the small screws/rivets, or whatever they're called). Open by each corner, not the chrome decorative piece, or they pop right off.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tryker Dude.....like your idea of metal hinges! I haven't caught my foot/leg in one, but have forgot to close going down the road. The small chrome-like dodad that opens the lid have lost the rivets....had parts mgr glue them back on (HD doesn't stock the small screws/rivets, or whatever they're called). Open by each corner, not the chrome decorative piece, or they pop right off.
Think I will pass on these saddlebags but I would like to know where you got your sheepskins?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:06 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,086 Likes on 3,488 Posts

And Harley don't believe there is a problem with their over priced bags ??? They still sell the same bag.....!

Quick Reply: New Trike Saddlebags