Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

placing trike on jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 01:24 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,584 Likes on 1,604 Posts
Default placing trike on jackstands

can you place the jackstands under the trike on the rear body mount locations ? this is were the mufflers bolt to. this seems to be alot of weight on these braces. whet i'm thinking is jack it upon the axle tube and then place jackstands behind on the braces running back. oictures of where to place the stands would be nice.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:09 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
can you place the jackstands under the trike on the rear body mount locations ? this is were the mufflers bolt to. this seems to be alot of weight on these braces. whet i'm thinking is jack it upon the axle tube and then place jackstands behind on the braces running back. oictures of where to place the stands would be nice.
I wouldn't use that area for stands, IMO I wouldn't jack up by that area. I know folks who do, one of those things you may get away with for several times, then got you happens. I jack up according to the manual, I place stands under the swing arm.

In this picture you can see what I put the jack at when I lifted the back of the trike up.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:47 PM
holtzd
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can you put the jack stands when installing the DK comfort lift kit?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by holtzd
When I do lift kits of need to lower the axle housing I use both my scissors jack and a floor jack. You can see in this picture the floor jack and in the background the scissors jack.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:52 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

i thought you were suppose to stay off of the carrier with the jack? i heardso many different stories of where to put the jacks on these trikes it's confusing. what about when you have to remove the swingarm ? i don't see where there is enough room to jack it up and then put the stands under it.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,140 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by holtzd
Here are the relevant excerpts from the Lift Kit Instructions-
  • Secure the front wheel. (a wheel chock or velcro holding the front brake lever works well).

• Raise rear of Trike until both rear tires are off the ground 2-3 inches

• Place jack stands under cross member (closest to front wheel) below trunk area. Remove jacks from under axle so that the tires are still off the ground and the weight is being supported by the jack stands.
  • Place a jack under the rear pulley housing/guard. Leave a 1 inch space between the jack & the bottom of the guard. (this will be used later to adjust the axle for easy shock re-installation)

i thought you were suppose to stay off of the carrier with the jack? i heardso many different stories of where to put the jacks on these trikes it's confusing. what about when you have to remove the swingarm ? i don't see where there is enough room to jack it up and then put the stands under it.
You never want to lift the bike with a jack under the pulley housing/guard. The only purpose of a jack under there, like in the pic msocko3 posted, is to move the swingarm up or down to get the bolts lined up for the Lift Brackets.

The weigh of the bike is being held up by the jack stands, the scissor or hydraulic jack under the guard is only moving the weight of the swingarm.

Anybody that would like a copy of the Lift Kit Instructions can get it by emailing a request to Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-11-2016, 05:34 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

As Kevin Said, I'm using the floor jack to raise and lower the housing. The trike is being supported by the scissors jack which is life ting the Trike by the heavy plate below the transmission oil pan, which is the place Harley Davidson specifies in the owners manual.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:44 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

can you jack it up on the axle tubes and then block it up under the trans on the frame?

Old 01-11-2016, 02:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

can you jack it up on the axle tubes and then block it up under the trans on the frame?
I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm sure someone will be along telling you the water is fine, come on in.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

i am getting alittle ahead of myself here as i was thinking how to support the trike if i was going to remove the swingarm. looks like quite the project.

Quick Reply: placing trike on jackstands