Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

PayPal Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Reptile
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
A photo ID and proof of residence? I've used Pay-Pal for years and never had to provide anything like that. I have mine linked to my checking account. When I signed up they made two deposits , like 17 cents and 13 cents or something and then I had to go to the site and enter the amount of the deposits to prove the account was mine.
Yup, also, paypal will always address you by your name, any other email indicating that you need to provide more information without this is a scam.
When in doubt, always log into paypal separately, and not through an email link.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:09 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
A photo ID and proof of residence? I've used Pay-Pal for years and never had to provide anything like that. I have mine linked to my checking account. When I signed up they made two deposits , like 17 cents and 13 cents or something and then I had to go to the site and enter the amount of the deposits to prove the account was mine.
Same for me when I signed up about 7 or eight years ago.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PayPal has changed. The two small bank deposits were all that was needed when I opened my account with them several years ago. But since then they have prevented me from depositing more money into the account until they get a credit card number and a photo ID. I thought they were doing this to everyone. It is not a scam. I never have any contact with any account unless I go directly to their web site. There was some law passed about a year ago where the feds say every bank account has to be verified, that is when this started. They kept insisting I give them the info or they would lock down my account, which is what they did, the option to add money has been replaced with a link to resolve issues. After they locked my account I contacted them (from within my account) and told them I am an illegal alien and don't have any documents to send them and asked if they had a special program for me. They never answered that one. So why are they doing this to some people and not to others?

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Update---

Just got off the phone with PayPal. The reason my account was limited was because they detected someone from Iran tried to log into my account with the correct password. They said they automatically lock the account down when they detect odd things like that going on. So +1 for PayPal on this one.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
Update---

Just got off the phone with PayPal. The reason my account was limited was because they detected someone from Iran tried to log into my account with the correct password. They said they automatically lock the account down when they detect odd things like that going on. So +1 for PayPal on this one.
Some will talk **** about Paypal. But they actually have a pretty secure system.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
Update---

So has the situation been resolved? I'd be upset if I couldn't use my Pay-pal to buy stuff.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, it's resolved. Sent them a scan of a photo ID and called them. Besides the hold time on the phone, they were actually pretty prompt. I was able to pay the guy last night for the radio.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM
traildog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 359 Posts

I bought my last 2 bikes from private owners (and paid the fee associated with the purchase) with PayPal, but now, I have folks telling me they would NEVER accept a payment through PayPal.

I wonder if it's because they don't know anything about Paypal? I feel like PayPal offers some protection to the buyer AND seller.

I use it ALL the time.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,642 Posts

Paypal's got the security locked-up pretty good...hoping my son can get a job there after college b/c they're one of the top IT employer's here in Omaha metro...

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
I bought my last 2 bikes from private owners (and paid the fee associated with the purchase) with PayPal, but now, I have folks telling me they would NEVER accept a payment through PayPal.

I wonder if it's because they don't know anything about Paypal? I feel like PayPal offers some protection to the buyer AND seller.

I use it ALL the time.
a lot of folks (myself included) are getting to the point where Paypal is just simply a hassle. Fees for this, fees for that, if a dispute arises the funds are locked, etc. but in all reality they are as secure as any bank is and no more of a pain in the *** as any bank is to deal with these days. They are a financial institution and they must follow the same SOX and GLBA (among others) rules that any financial institution is governed by.

The one that gets me about the whole eBay/PayPal combo is when you sell something on eBay, the buyer pays via PayPal, but then PayPal puts the funds on hold until the buyer receives and inspects the product. What a bunch of BS that is IMO.

Quick Reply: PayPal Question