Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Extra tour pak / storage tote (trailer alt.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extra tour pak / storage tote (trailer alt.)

Not really sure what to call it,. but I made it a few years back for my Ultra. The only picture I have of it installed is kinda grainy,. but you get the idea.
I made a metal bracket, then bolted a rubbermaid storage tote to the top. This works great for packing extra cloths, gear, leathers rain suits for those long trips. We even strapped down helmets to the top of it one trip.

The entire thing bolts to your existing harley hardware, there is nothing extra to buy. You just remove one of the saddlebag guard bolts, hold the braket up and reinstall the screw. The container has latches, but I also drilled holes and put on 4 pad locks to secure it overnight. You will recieve a key to the padlocks as well. The box is low enough not to cover the lights on the bike, but big enough to give lots of extra space on those long trips. The box is sitting on diamond plate aluminum, to protect the plastic box from any heat that may come from your mufflers. I never had a problem with it heating up and was surprised at how well this worked. You would not want to overload this, but I can tell you we had 2 leather jackets, 2 pairs of chaps, 2 rainsuits a medium sized socket set, and misc other tools all loaded in this at one time. Infact the picture of it on the bike,. we had it loaded up with everything. You can't even tell its back there, but its nice to remember its back there before you back up into a curb (which I never did)

The storage box is approximatley 18" x 21"x9" I can't give exact numbers, because I boxed it up before I took measurements.
I do have this listed on ebay as well, but for more money.
It will fit any year, except 2010.

$75 plus shipping to lower 48 only

** ADDED ** It won't fit any FLHX or FLTRX models.
It will fit all other touring 1999 to 2008 I know for a fact,.. pretty sure 2009 and 2010 as well but can't say for sure.

Attached Thumbnails Extra tour pak / storage tote (trailer alt.)-pak4.jpg   Extra tour pak / storage tote (trailer alt.)-pak.jpg   Extra tour pak / storage tote (trailer alt.)-pak3.jpg   Extra tour pak / storage tote (trailer alt.)-pak2.jpg  

Last edited by Cyphilis; 06-09-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Nice job....Sure that took you some time to fab those brackets!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought about doing the same thing to an extra color matched tour pak with a tail light wire harness that would plug into a trailer towing plug-in. They've been doing it with late model Goldwings saddlebags and trunk for a while.

If someone wanted to go to the expense, this is a nice setup on a GL1800 Goldwing. You could do the same thing with a tour pak of a Ultra Classic.

I've seen this done on Goldwings that were not triked as well.

Last edited by shortride; 06-10-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice job on that and sure looks like a fair price.

Out of curiosity, what changed in 2010 that would make this incompatible?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
t11spanner
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Very nice job on that and sure looks like a fair price.

Out of curiosity, what changed in 2010 that would make this incompatible?

This is why,.. the mount is covered up.

Last edited by Cyphilis; 06-09-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cyphilis

This is why,.. the mount is covered up.
Is it just me????

Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cyphilis
Not really sure what to call it,. but I made it a few years back for my Ultra. The only picture I have of it installed is kinda grainy,. but you get the idea.
I made a metal bracket, then bolted a rubbermaid storage tote to the top. This works great for packing extra cloths, gear, leathers rain suits for those long trips. We even strapped down helmets to the top of it one trip.

The entire thing bolts to your existing harley hardware, there is nothing extra to buy. You just remove one of the saddlebag guard bolts, hold the braket up and reinstall the screw. The container has latches, but I also drilled holes and put on 4 pad locks to secure it overnight. You will recieve a key to the padlocks as well. The box is low enough not to cover the lights on the bike, but big enough to give lots of extra space on those long trips. The box is sitting on diamond plate aluminum, to protect the plastic box from any heat that may come from your mufflers. I never had a problem with it heating up and was surprised at how well this worked. You would not want to overload this, but I can tell you we had 2 leather jackets, 2 pairs of chaps, 2 rainsuits a medium sized socket set, and misc other tools all loaded in this at one time. Infact the picture of it on the bike,. we had it loaded up with everything. You can't even tell its back there, but its nice to remember its back there before you back up into a curb (which I never did)

The storage box is approximatley 18" x 21"x9" I can't give exact numbers, because I boxed it up before I took measurements.
I do have this listed on ebay as well, but for more money.
It will fit any year, except 2010.

$75 plus shipping to lower 48 only

** ADDED ** It won't fit any FLHX or FLTRX models.
It will fit all other touring 1999 to 2008 I know for a fact,.. pretty sure 2009 and 2010 as well but can't say for sure.
Sorry. It's just that your original post seemed to say something like "It will fit any year, except 2010."

Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
weekendwarrior
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a great freakin idea..... hmmmmmm