Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Wild 1 WO572 CHUBBY 14 Ape Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:50 PM
grayboo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you not like about the wrist angle? just curious.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 PM
OmahaRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grayboo
what did you not like about the wrist angle? just curious.
I had them pulled back past the fork tubes a little because I wanted to bring the bars back to me, thats why I got them. In that position after about 100 miles my wrist were sore as hell. They were to far turned out away from the tank. Not much but enuff to cause pain.

I just installed my 6th set of bars tonight and I think I found what I needed. Ended up with some cheap *** Taiwan 18" that put me right where I want to be.

I have a whole pile of bars that I will never use but the wild 1's are the only ones worth anything to anyone else. Very nice bars if they fit you.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:17 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,578 Likes on 5,090 Posts

Do you have anything close to the 515's? (10" mini apes)

Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 AM
OmahaRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
Do you have anything close to the 515's? (10" mini apes)
I have some Taiwan 14" that are pretty small compaired to the wild1 14". I will get some dimensions and pics for you. Just like the others they were mounted once and pulled back off.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:31 PM
grayboo
6th Gear

turned away from the tank? do you mean (as you sit on the bike) that the grip area wasn't pointed towards you enough or that it was pointed more away from you, kinda like a drag bar?

i am looking at these bars for the same reason you wanted. i have an 04' rk custom i just bought and put heritage bars on it. they are too short and too far away for my tastes (although i can deal with it for now, already put 3 or 4 hundred miles on them but want something more comfortable). i figured 12 or 14" apes with enough pull back ought to bring them right back and up where i want them. do you happen to know if i am wrong in assuming you can just bring the apes towards you until comfortable and then rotate your levers and what not until they are in the right place? this is my plan but i think i better have some input first.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:54 PM
OmahaRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grayboo
turned away from the tank? do you mean (as you sit on the bike) that the grip area wasn't pointed towards you enough or that it was pointed more away from you, kinda like a drag bar?
They were too much like a drag bar not enough like a wheelbarrow.

i am looking at these bars for the same reason you wanted. i have an 04' rk custom i just bought and put heritage bars on it. they are too short and too far away for my tastes (although i can deal with it for now, already put 3 or 4 hundred miles on them but want something more comfortable). i figured 12 or 14" apes with enough pull back ought to bring them right back and up where i want them. do you happen to know if i am wrong in assuming you can just bring the apes towards you until comfortable and then rotate your levers and what not until they are in the right place? this is my plan but i think i better have some input first.
Well sadly it depends on too many things to give any sound advise. Your body, your seat, your highway pegs, your backrest, 2 up or 1 up. They all change your comfort zone.
There is a surprisingly small window when you pull the bars back past the fork tubes. Too much and the wrist angle gets weird and they are just getting lower and not coming closer to you. The longer the bar is to start with the larger the window.

I ride with my butt high on the seat highway pegs high and out toward the front and the back rest in full recline. At first i thought I only wanted 2 inches. When I got that I wanted 4 and then 6. The 18's are the only ones that I could truly say "I dont want the bars any closer to me"

Here are the 18s on the bike. Side view full lock left. Notice the grip to tank position and compair that to your Heritage bars.

Here is the fork angle.

And here are all the bars laying around my garage. The Dynas are not mine to sell but all of the other are up for grabs.

As you can see the wild 1 14,s have a lot more rise and width than the cheapo 14's. The 18's I have mounted are the same brand as these 14's so I would have to guess they are nowhere near the size of wild1 18's ???

Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
grayboo
6th Gear

man... thanks! that's one of the best posts i've ever read. i've going to have to do some studying and figure out what is going to work best for me. i love the look of the 572's but i want enough pull back that i can lean back in my mustang seat and not have to feel like i am reaching for the grips. personally, if the heritage bars were just 4 inches higher and around 3 inches or so more pulled back, they would be just right. my wrist placement on them suits me fine.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Phoenix53
Intermediate

PM sent

Old 06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
OmahaRoadKing
Cruiser

SOLD
Thank you