Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Vance hines monster ovals mufflers 95-09

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 PM
wrenchguy24
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it sucks !!!! But!!!! I have monsters on my 2006 !!!! Depends on what bike they go on if a ultra that dent will be very hard to see!!!

Was the box damaged when you go them?????

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM

I think it's strong language to say that leohd screwed me. Probably not a fair statement.

I am confident that the muffler was not dented when he shipped it, and I think that he tried to pack it in a way that it would not get damaged. I believe that he, as the shipper and the person who was in the position to purchase insurance and/or pack in such a way that no damage could be done, should have been responsible for damage during shipping. He disagreed with me on that. The main thing for everyone, and the lesson that I think leohd and I both learned clearly, is to be sure to get insurance when shipping.

As to the error in the listing regarding the years it would fit; I assume that was an honest mistake. The Monster Ovals that V&H sells now do fit all years (I believe) and I assume that leohd thought that's what he was selling. I have never addressed the issue of the year with leohd because the bigger issue seemed to be the dent. That's what was noticed after we took the mufflers out of the box and I never even got to the point of trying to install them.

In fairness to leohd, I don't know how he would have responded if the fitment issue was the only issue.

The location of the dent is such that it will be visible, but not highly visible. It's on the bottom side of the muffler, on the outside, towards the front. I've taken it to a body shop and now the dent is almost invisible, though a piece of the chrome did flake off in the process.

Again, the lesson here is that you should really make sure you get insurance. It protects both the seller and the buyer.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So are you still stuck with mufflers that won't fit your bike?

Sometimes sh%#t happens and we all have to deal with it. It just seems wrong in this case that you end up being the one to man-up and deal with it ALL of it by yourself.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

in response to all this bs, these mufflers were perfect when I shipped them, they had all the factory packing inside two seperate boxes and I went the extra mile and double boxed them. buyer did not request insurance, I have a 100% ebay rating with over 570 transactions, never have I recieved or had any problems, I have shipped glass items with no problems...what the post office has in there possesion that will pierce through the middle not edge of 2 boxes,packing and dent a muffler is beyond me. I have plenty of knoves that won't do it. a hammer would dent the muffler but not cut through the boxes and wrapping. I bought a fuel tank set it down on my dresser and one of my shepherds knocked it down and it got dented, I did not try blaming the seller or the post office, even tho I could have. look on ebay there are about 5 listings for monster ovals 95-09....untill you know all the facts senioir chief should STFU!!!!!!!!!! gmsumsion opened up a paypal dispute without notifying me that he did and escalated right away to a claim and they denied him...word to the wise request and pay for shipping insurance the post office would not have shipped damaged boxes and both the boxes and mufflers were perfect when I shipped em out. datz dat

Last edited by leohd; 08-25-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of hard to believe that the post office could cause that kind of damage with the way these things are packed from V&H. Not saying they were damaged before shipping, but there is some serious foam in there from V&H.

Seems to me that both parties should come out the pocket for the fix, but that's just me.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Seems to me that both parties should come out the pocket for the fix, but that's just me.
This exact same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. We (the seller and I) split the difference on the new shield. I do realize this is none of MY business but thought it was important to share how a fellow member responded to something similar. FWIW

Old 08-25-2009, 07:35 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsumsion
here's the muffler that was "mint mint as new"

A word to the wise

buy the insurance

insist on the insurance

don't let the item be shipped without the insurance

even if you think the seller is getting the insurance because he charged you the cost of the insurance make sure you have the insurance

Also be aware that if you use PayPal, they will not do anything to resolve a problem with items that are damaged in shipment. Unlike a regular credit card, you do not have chargeback rights. PayPal will only help you if the item does not arrive at all.

Also, I would like to point out that leoHD was very courteous during the sales portion of this transaction. He was helpful, gave me some tips on installation, etc. I'm just disappointed that it's going to cost me another $160 or so to get a replacement heat shield and I think it's lame that he's unwilling to take any responsibility for the damage to this item.
I always ship stuff with insurance, whether the buyer requests it or not.
I shipped a Clearview windshield yesterday via USPS and paid $2.25 for insurance. The buyer never asked me to do it, but I did because I care.
The buyer never asked me to buy a box and put 4 layers of newspapers and 8 layers of bubble wrap around the windshield either but I used what I thought would provide the best protection. I had several old boxes in my garage but none of them were large enough for the shield so I went to Staaples and bought one.
The issue with shipping is that most buyers don't want to pay for it or want to pay as little as possible. Shipping isn't cheap, when you consider everything involved, from packing to shipping.
When people buy used items is as-new condition for 1/2 the price of new ones, I think they shouldn't bitch at paying shipping and everything involved with it, but that's just me.
Do you prefer to receive an item in 5 days with insurance or in 3 days without insurance? It costs pretty much the same both ways but there's a big difference between the 2, in case something happens during shipping.
Hope you find a solution to the problem and I hope the seller cooperates with you. Ultimately, if the item doesn't fit your bike, he's as responsible as you are, unless he warned you that the item might not fit.
Good luck.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 08-25-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Default The rest of the story . . . long

The thing that frustrates me the most about this transaction is that leohd repeatedly infers, as he did in that most recent post, that I damaged the muffler after I received it. I've sent him pictures that show the damage to the boxes (internal and external), I've told him that I had a client in my office when I opened the box and that the client was actually the one to first notice the dent. There is absolutley no basis for those repeated accusations. I have never accused him of sending mufflers that were damaged before shipping and I think it's ridiculous of him to continually make those accusations against me.

As for the packing material, these did not come in the same packaging as I have received from Vance and Hines in the past. The external box was a box that originally contained file folder boxes or some such thing. The internal boxes were original V&H boxes. They had foam at the ends, securing the muffler in place, but no packing material between the foam ends. One of the mufflers had a plastic bag around it, the other (the one that was damaged) did not.

With regard to the insurance, I paid for insurance but leohd did not purchase it. If you look at the original post in this thread, you will see that the pipes were listed for $499 plus $30 actual shipping (if it's less he said he would refund the difference). We corresponded about these mufflers and I told him to send me a PayPal invoice to my hotmail account. A few hours later I got a notice of a new hotmail e-mail, checked and it was leohd's invoice, for $537. I paid the invoice he sent me. About the same time, I got a PM that said the cost of shipping would be $37 for parcel post, $57 for 3 day priority and that insurance was $8 extra. Since our deal was that I would pay $30 for shipping, and since I was charged $38 for shipping, I thought the extra $8 must've been for insurance since the invoice was sent before I had any chance to respond and choose shipping options. As it turns out, insurance was not purchased, and the actual postage part of the shipping expense was only $27.95.

Now, with regard to what years these mufflers fit . . . I saw the post about these mufflers not fitting an '09 and I contacted V&H. I was told that they changed the heat shields to accomodate the '09 changes in the frame. The cutout is now larger. I gave V&H the part number from the instruction sheet and V&H confirmed that the part number was for the '08 and earlier models. I then read them the number stamped on the inside of the heat shield and they again confirmed that it was for the '08 and earlier models. In order for these mufflers to work with my bike it would be necessary for me to purchase 2 new heat shields. So, yes, eBay is full of MOs that fit 95-09, but those would be a different part number than what I was sold. As I said before, I believe leohd was unaware of this difference when he sold me his mufflers and was not trying to screw me or anyone else. There are plenty of people who would have bought these mufflers for their '08 and earlier touring bikes.

Finally, the PayPal dispute. I initiated a disptue with PayPal only after my communications with leohd made it clear that he was not going to pay any portion of the cost of replacing the heat shield. Contrary to his statement, I told him before the weekend that he was leaving me with no choice but to pursue the PayPal complaint process. When I initiated the "dispute" I put in the message that unless I heard from him right away I would elevate it to a claim right away because I felt that we had already gone the rounds of trying to resolve it ourselves. He did not respond so about an hour later, maybe a little sooner, I elevated it to a claim.

I knew when I filed the claim that PayPal would resolve this in his favor. That's because PayPal does nothing to help buyers when the item is shipped but it is non-conforming. It doesn't matter whether it's damaged in shipping, or was damaged before he sent it, PayPal doesn't help the buyer with that kind of thing. All they will do is make a note of what happened and potentially make that information available to other buyers in the future. I had previously thought that PayPal would give buyers more protection. Their website specifically mentions that good damaged in shipment are "substantially not as described". However, when you dig deeper you find out that they won't do anything about goods that are SNAD. They didn't decide the claim against me. They simply said, in essence, there's nothing we can do for you.

The whole reason that I posted information about this thread was to warn future buyers of the need to a) purchase insurance and b) not count on PayPal to help you with goods that turn out to be damaged.

For the record, I never asked leohd to pay the full amount of the cost of a new heat shield. I always asked him whether there was some fair division of the loss that he would agree to. He repeatedly said he was selling them for less than he paid, and he was not willing to lose any more. He said he knew that PayPal would resolve any dispute in his favor. He gave me suggestions on how I might get the dent fixed, but was not willing to refund anything. Do I think that's fair? No. Do I think he set out to screw me? Also no.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

you never mentioned get insurance.... once they paid for and left my possesion they were yours, IF I damaged em I would have payed. the more you lie the more I believe you dropped the muffler or dropped your bike and somehow messed it up. I am not going to list all your bs., it would take too long. like..He said he knew that PayPal would resolve any dispute in his favor..quite opposite my friend, so the post office CUT 2 boxes open in the middle and hit the muffler with a hammer? my knives cut boxes but they can't dent a muffler, my hammer can dent a muffler but not cut through 2 boxes. either way you have brand new mufflers that now have a little knick on the bottom of a heat shield for $250 off msrp., if it was just the fitment issue I would have gladly taken em back. like my ad stated I would have taken cash in person so obviously I wasn't trying to sell a muffler with a dent to a forum member. by lying and bs'ing you took a way what little thought I had that they got damaged in shipping.

Last edited by leohd; 08-25-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man what a mess... hope you guys reach some kind of mutual resolution. When I sell I either insist on shipper paying insurance or issue disclaimer of no responsibility for damage in shipping. Always use UPS for heavier things because they are automatically covered to $100.00 and in this case that would have fixed the issue. Really hate to see this in open forum...lessons learned, casting stones serves no useful purpose. I assume LEO shipped mufflers in good condition and they arrived damaged. It happens, I have had it happen too many times.

Quick Reply: Vance hines monster ovals mufflers 95-09