Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Best Tipover Recovery Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 12:33 AM
High Sierra
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best Tipover Recovery Jack?

Hi,
I have a 2017 Ultra and I recently had it tip over in my driveway. Despite my best efforts, using the butt on seat walk it up method, I couldn't lift it upright without assistance due to a slight downhill pitch on the driveway.
I'm planning on buying one the recovery jacks I see advertised online, such as:
https://www.motobikejack.com/
https://eastbound.shop/product/motor...nch-lc2500dan/
https://www.advmotorrad.com/dustriders-motorcycle-hoist
I know there may be others, but these are the ones I'm aware of so far.
I'm looking for feedback on people who've used one these jacks, (or something similar) and whether you'd recommend it?

Thanks,
Rich

The following 2 users liked this post by High Sierra:
binarym (08-20-2024), usmcvet0331 (08-09-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 06:43 AM
r-bar-j
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,147 Likes on 2,047 Posts

I have the motobikejack. Several years ago with my new Ultra, I tipped over a couple of times. Unable to lift and being in a sparsely populated area tried to find help was a problem, so I purchased it. Better rider now, but still carry in my saddle bag. It works as advertised. easy to use.

The following users liked this post:
usmcvet0331 (08-09-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 07:00 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Even being a good rider things happen. Paying attention is a big part attention. Got my new bike, road I have road often, tipped over. Manure trucks had been driving non stop, and I think that dipped the shoulder. Slight dip was a bugger to pick up, and someone passed by and helped. But I felt dumb, because it was some young gal in spandex on the way home from gym. Ha.

I need to try the butt approach, I am currious about the motojack. No pics of it folded up on site.

Dropping a bike on a hill downside, can be one hell of a lift.

Last edited by Rounders; 08-07-2024 at 07:05 AM.
usmcvet0331 (08-09-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 07:29 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,726 Likes on 2,219 Posts

*** Deleted ***

Last edited by Goose_NC; 08-07-2024 at 08:48 AM.
TwiZted Biker (08-08-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 08:02 AM
dbarbee
Club Member

Received 256 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I am currious about the motojack. No pics of it folded up on site.
If you click on the "Video" link on the MotoBikeJack web site and watch the demo video it shows the jack folded up and in its storage pouch.

Old 08-07-2024, 10:32 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

I’d review your technique. I’ve seen a 100 pound 5’2” woman lift her ultra. The problem with the lift is what happens if it falls over away from your garage. Learn the technique is. A far better option. 2nd best option, is get help from a stranger nearby. Usually they are more than willing to help. Just know the technique so that you can actually tell them what you are going to do and how you need their help.

On the other hand, if you plan to just drop your bike in your driveway, then the lift might make sense.

If you are not touring and have plenty of empty storage space, I guess the extra space used up by a folded lift would be okay. I just think you need to practice under no stress by gently laying your bike over, then with no stress, no rush, practice until you get the technique down pat for yourself.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 08-07-2024 at 10:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Buelligan666 (08-07-2024), Goose_NC (08-07-2024), Old Sport (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 11:58 AM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 964 Posts

I like the motor bike jack but I'm not sure why this is in the touring classified section.

Old 08-07-2024, 12:04 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I’d review your technique. I’ve seen a 100 pound 5’2” woman lift her ultra. The problem with the lift is what happens if it falls over away from your garage. Learn the technique is. A far better option. 2nd best option, is get help from a stranger nearby. Usually they are more than willing to help. Just know the technique so that you can actually tell them what you are going to do and how you need their help.

On the other hand, if you plan to just drop your bike in your driveway, then the lift might make sense.

If you are not touring and have plenty of empty storage space, I guess the extra space used up by a folded lift would be okay. I just think you need to practice under no stress by gently laying your bike over, then with no stress, no rush, practice until you get the technique down pat for yourself.
Not sure why you think this would only be good in driveway?

My concern would on hills.

I do lots of off reading so used to jacking.

I do agree space is a concern. I've always wondered if you rig something under tourpak.

Old 08-07-2024, 12:12 PM
Old Sport
Road Warrior

Received 1,387 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds

^^This^^

When I initially brought my bike home some six years ago I did exactly this in my driveway to be sure I understood the mechanics and was able to handle on my own.

I watched the MotoBikeJack video - not confidence inspiring for me.

Old 08-07-2024, 03:23 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Not sure why you think this would only be good in driveway?

My concern would on hills.

I do lots of off reading so used to jacking.

I do agree space is a concern. I've always wondered if you rig something under tourpak.
Not only good in the driveway, but if not in your driveway, it’s another piece of equipment you are carrying hoping that you will or will not have to use. If you have room, take all the tools and aids you may need. I just commented and am surprised that it what you picked to chew on.

Quick Reply: Best Tipover Recovery Jack?