Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Ohlins FKS 228 Front Cartridge Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 05:02 AM
showin4fun
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoRider
Same with Howard....go elsewhere. In fact...use a different shock since Ohlins supports bad business practices.
SnoRider,
There is a section in the Members Marketplace on this Forum called "Good Or Bad Shopping Experiences At HDF".
I see that Howard (Motorcycle Metal) has only one posted feedback on that thread and it was over 13 years ago. I think
you should comment on that thread so other forum members know what your experience was like. I notice on the two
closed threads on your issue there was many people that experienced sub-standard customer service form that business.
It would be nice if they posted on the experience thread as well. I don't believe the moderators could close that thread down
where it is directly related to your issue.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:34 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bburky
I'm curious as to your preference ledgends over Nix, would you care to elaborate.
I put the NIX in my 2012 Road Glide and it just never felt right. I rode with the cartridge for about 10k miles and decided to go with the inverted front end which was a big improvement. I bought a 2009 CVO last year and put Legends cartridges in it and it rode great - makes no sense because they are the same frames. My buddy is running my old Ohlins NIX on his street glide right now and he likes them - but they replaced his stock 12 year old shocks so anything would have been better.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

There is a step between inverted forks and Ohlin or Legend cartridges , I actually got these through Howard , I had a more positive experience and saved some money , not really my point though. These are a step past Ohlin or Legend cartridges , US made , fully adjustable externally , these are performance cartridges. You can dial them in for your riding style , they will deliver zero dive and allow curve speeds beyond the average riders abilities but thats a harsher ride over all than most want , I have mine dialed back to compromise between a smooth ride and race track performance. They will plant your front end as intended either way , taking a sweeper at 90+mph feels like rails , that Showa scrub is gone.

http://www.gpsuspension.com/GP-Suspe...s_p_20496.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Stopit:
jasle (06-24-2021), Johnny Goodlife (06-12-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:55 PM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit
There is a step between inverted forks and Ohlin or Legend cartridges , I actually got these through Howard , I had a more positive experience and saved some money , not really my point though. These are a step past Ohlin or Legend cartridges , US made , fully adjustable externally , these are performance cartridges. You can dial them in for your riding style , they will deliver zero dive and allow curve speeds beyond the average riders abilities but thats a harsher ride over all than most want , I have mine dialed back to compromise between a smooth ride and race track performance. They will plant your front end as intended either way , taking a sweeper at 90+mph feels like rails , that Showa scrub is gone.

That is interesting. I have never heard of GP Suspension. is they fact that they are fully adjustable externally what sets them apart from Ohlins? Do they differ from Ohlins any other way?

Old 02-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stopit

Thanks for sharing this - having that much adjustability is hard to beat. I was looking at Legends for my 2021 RKS but these sound Awesome!

Old 02-27-2021, 09:46 PM
PigsInZen
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It appears that Howard misread your post, and then did what Howard does, because he’s always running at 110 mph with a head full of knowledge about suspensions for Harleys. He’s a perfectionist with zero patience for anything that isn’t moving things forward. Exactly the type of person you want performing intricate work. Wouldn’t make a good funeral home director or therapist though...
I worked with Howard on a set of 30mm forks (Howard’s own Frankenstein design) for a 2014 FLHXS. Most important is that his work is top notch. He makes custom suspensions tuned to your preferences, using the best components in the business. I had him put together a second set of forks for me so I could ride while waiting. I drop shipped some items to him and he made sure I had the missing parts. Very thankful for that. I had a set of chromed lowers from eBay sent to him. He refused to use them because the place that plated them messed up the insides. Howard repackaged them and returned them for me (my dime, his time) from Florida to California. If he weren’t such a purist he could have easily just put them together and sent them to me. His high standards ended up costing himself time. Very thankful for that as well.
Bottom line is I love the way this bike rides now! And I know that if I ever need something done by Howard, it’ll be done right. You just need to ask yourself if you’re tough enough to be his customer!! Lol!! Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by PigsInZen:
JoeeJoee (02-28-2021), Stopit (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 09:54 PM
Stopit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
That is interesting. I have never heard of GP Suspension. is they fact that they are fully adjustable externally what sets them apart from Ohlins? Do they differ from Ohlins any other way?
Sorry it took me so long to respond , yes I believe the cartridge diameter is larger ( 25mm ) as you have to remove the valving from the fork tubes for them to pass through into the lowers. There is a rolled lip you have to grind off then punch the valving out , Howard recommended a course flapper disk that I used on my 4.5 in grinder , sounds worse than it is .

The following 3 users liked this post by Stopit:
btl68 (02-22-2022), jasle (06-24-2021), Johnny Goodlife (06-20-2021)