Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Ohlins FKS 228 Front Cartridge Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 09:59 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Fellow Virginian, I considered purchasing from Motorcycle Metal, spoke to him two times trying to learn about the product and couldnt deal with it. I ended up buying from : (469) 268-4232
suspendedbysmarty@gmail.com
Purchased, he walked me through the install live on the phone step by step. I ended up needing heavier springs after a few months (wife started riding with me) and I had a new pair in two days to my doorstep, walked me through the replacement. Great CS
So my experience wasnt a good one with Motorcycle Metal, fortunately I found one who was happy to go the extra mile. Take it for what its worth.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:01 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinStar
I'd recommend Carol Burks and I've dealt with both.
I called Carol and while he pretended to be helpful he was actually not helpful. When our conversation first started he gave me the option of just shipping the cartridge kit and the springs so that I could install them or have them installed locally. As the conversation continued he mentioned that if I could remove my front forks and ship them to him, he would install the cartridge kit and the springs for "only" $300 more. He actually wanted me to trust him with the forks from my CVO; a guy I have never heard of before and have no clue how good his work is. When I told him I was not equipped to remove the forks, he changed his story by saying that if I did not want him to do the install, he could not sell me the cartridge kit and springs. He said he would be hurting his business if he only sold me the kit and springs because he had other customers who are interested in buying the kit and having him complete the installation.

I don't think he realized I paid attention to what he said in the beginning of the conversation and he tried to get an extra $300 out of me. What When he realized I was not going to go that route, he just told me, in so many words, to pound sand. I don't know about you, but that is a horrible way to do business. If you have a product that I am interested in buying, then sell me the damn product. Don't tell me that if you cannot make money on the installation you refuse to sell me the product. Very shady!

The following users liked this post:
Hd589 (06-21-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:16 AM
SnoRider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by bburky
Before you give ANY money to big bear performance , do some research on their past practices of customer support !

They were previously known as big bear choppers.
Same with Howard....go elsewhere. In fact...use a different shock since Ohlins supports bad business practices.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:24 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoRider
Same with Howard....go elsewhere. In fact...use a different shock since Ohlins supports bad business practices.
I'm 100 percent on board with avoiding Big Bear based on their past and Howard, but Ohlins is a world-class company with THOUSANDS of vendors in the US alone. They can't babysit every single one or be aware of every issue. I will give you that they are probably aware of Howard and Big Bear's past, but unless enough people complain, I can see them still supporting a seller.

I'll forever go to bat for Ohlins actual products. If you want Ohlins, call Ohlins. They are great to deal with.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:31 AM
RiderX
Road Master
Received 301 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I did not say "He said the springs he has may not be the same as the ones suggested by Ohlins", I said that with machining and making parts a different Ohlins set of springs can be used in place of the two or three springs Ohlins offers for that kit. I spent time on you by including 8.5Nm,9Nm, 9.5, 10, 10.5Nm, 11Nm, & 12Nm. I have provided & built these cartridges for 180# people up to 320# people. Ohlins does not have those springs right out of the box solutions, I do & I have done so in the past. I am sorry to have wasted your time on providing poor and questionable information. I will not waste your time again, sorry.
Why are you being so touchy about my comment? I didn't say anything negative about you at all. I was simply asking other forum members if it was important or not to get the 10" springs Ohlins recommends, part number 08790-12, for the FKS 228 front cartridge kit. When we spoke, you said that you have tons of springs that will work depending on my weight and you were not concerned about Ohlins recommendation. Having different spring options than Ohlins is fine. I do not know enough about front suspension and was simply asking others what they thought about using springs other than those recommended by Ohlins.

I spent time on you by including 8.5Nm,9Nm, 9.5, 10, 10.5Nm, 11Nm, & 12Nm.
How have you spent time on me including the above? I sent you the order form from your website on Wednesday afternoon and still have not heard from you. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else?

Ohlins does not have those springs right out of the box solutions, I do & I have done so in the past.
It is quite possible I am confused about this. Isn't Ohlins part number 08790-12 an out of the box set of 10" springs? What am I not understanding?

I am sorry to have wasted your time on providing poor and questionable information. I will not waste your time again, sorry.
I never said you wasted my time or provided me with poor and questionable information. How did you infer that from what I said? We never had a detailed conversation about the springs or the kit. You simply asked me to complete the order form on your website and suggested we would talk about the details once you reviewed the order form. I will reach out to you at some point on Friday and we can go from there if you are still interested.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:45 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Just realized that you have to buy the springs to go with the cartridges that have a MSRP of $ 775. I get the different spring rates but an extra charge for an integral component is a surprise. Ala carte suspension.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:50 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Seems some of this BS is getting wacky, sure the truth is lurking around somewhere.

Ohlins is a great product and I know from personal experience they stand behind their products.

Serenity Now !!!!!!

Old 02-26-2021, 03:14 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,196 Likes on 3,374 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
Why are you being so touchy about my comment? I didn't say anything negative about you at all. I was simply asking other forum members if it was important or not to get the 10" springs Ohlins recommends, part number 08790-12, for the FKS 228 front cartridge kit. When we spoke, you said that you have tons of springs that will work depending on my weight and you were not concerned about Ohlins recommendation. Having different spring options than Ohlins is fine. I do not know enough about front suspension and was simply asking others what they thought about using springs other than those recommended by Ohlins.

How have you spent time on me including the above? I sent you the order form from your website on Wednesday afternoon and still have not heard from you. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else?

It is quite possible I am confused about this. Isn't Ohlins part number 08790-12 an out of the box set of 10" springs? What am I not understanding?

I never said you wasted my time or provided me with poor and questionable information. How did you infer that from what I said? We never had a detailed conversation about the springs or the kit. You simply asked me to complete the order form on your website and suggested we would talk about the details once you reviewed the order form. I will reach out to you at some point on Friday and we can go from there if you are still interested.
It's not you, I believe he is upset about the threads in the Touring sub-forum.

It got ugly over there.

If you do end up waiting for Ohlins, you can place an order through Fuel Moto. That is where I got mine. They are great guys.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (06-12-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 05:57 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bburky
Before you give ANY money to big bear performance , do some research on their past practices of customer support !

They were previously known as big bear choppers.
THIS! I have the inverted Ohlins kit and wish I would have gone through Kraus. I prefer the Legends cartridges to the Ohlins NIX - I never like the NIX.

Old 02-26-2021, 07:14 PM
bburky
Road Warrior
Received 883 Likes on 381 Posts

I'm curious as to your preference ledgends over Nix, would you care to elaborate.

Quick Reply: Ohlins FKS 228 Front Cartridge Kit