Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Ohlins FKS 228 Front Cartridge Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 04:15 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I wouldn’t deal with Carol Burks / Smarty , he talks a good game but really knows very little . He’s a retired linesman who sales them for his friends shop in Texas , he’s good at at repeating printed information but has no real knowledge. Some of the stuff I’ve heard him tell people was so wrong I almost laughed when he was saying it.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

I did not say "He said the springs he has may not be the same as the ones suggested by Ohlins", I said that with machining and making parts a different Ohlins set of springs can be used in place of the two or three springs Ohlins offers for that kit. I spent time on you by including 8.5Nm,9Nm, 9.5, 10, 10.5Nm, 11Nm, & 12Nm. I have provided & built these cartridges for 180# people up to 320# people. Ohlins does not have those springs right out of the box solutions, I do & I have done so in the past. I am sorry to have wasted your time on providing poor and questionable information. I will not waste your time again, sorry.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:34 PM
TwinStar
Novice
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
Carol Burks? How do I reach her / them?
Suspended by Smarty on Facebook.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:36 PM
TwinStar
Novice

Originally Posted by tj316
I wouldn’t deal with Carol Burks / Smarty , he talks a good game but really knows very little . He’s a retired linesman who sales them for his friends shop in Texas , he’s good at at repeating printed information but has no real knowledge. Some of the stuff I’ve heard him tell people was so wrong I almost laughed when he was saying it.
You would literally be the first guy/gal that I've ever come across on three forums that had anything negative to say about Carol.

I've dealt with both Harold and Carol. I'll stick with Carol.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (02-27-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinStar
You would literally be the first guy/gal that I've ever come across on three forums that had anything negative to say about Carol.

Yep. I'm gonna just note the location of the poster saying Smarty doesn't know his stuff in relation to the other person pushing Ohlins on this forum. That is all.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:07 AM
TwinStar
Novice

Originally Posted by rhuff
Yep. I'm gonna just note the location of the poster saying Smarty doesn't know his stuff in relation to the other person pushing Ohlins on this forum. That is all.
I noticed the #6 in his tag too. I think that's a Ohlins numbering system unique to HM. I would agree with your assessment.

Old 02-25-2021, 07:56 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,196 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Never mind. I take back my recommendation.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:22 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinStar

believe what you will.....I personally know Carol , have gone to a small rally we both attend every year , so yea I met him face to face , have you . I listened to his recommendations and can tell you his shock knowledge is very limited . I know many people who have dealt with him and won’t use him again . He is nice , talkative and personable and that lures you in but the best description I heard someone say about him is “ he will tell you a joke and make you laugh while his hand is on your shoulder so you don’t realize his other hand is in your back pocket” . There are many Ohlins dealers out there , Howard and Smarty are not your only choices . If you don’t like Howard , Smarty would not be my next choice , there are other options.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:27 AM
TwinStar
Novice

Originally Posted by tj316
believe what you will.....I personally know Carol , have gone to a small rally we both attend every year , so yea I met him face to face , have you . I listened to his recommendations and can tell you his shock knowledge is very limited . I know many people who have dealt with him and won’t use him again . He is nice , talkative and personable and that lures you in but the best description I heard someone say about him is “ he will tell you a joke and make you laugh while his hand is on your shoulder so you don’t realize his other hand is in your back pocket” . There are many Ohlins dealers out there , Howard and Smarty are not your only choices . If you don’t like Howard , Smarty would not be my next choice , there are other options.
Maybe you're right. I had never heard of Carol Burks until I had an issue with Howard and called Ohlins tech support. They are the ones who suggested that I get in touch with Carol. No offense, but I'll put more stock in Ohlins recommendation than yours.

Old 02-25-2021, 02:27 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by RiderX
I am looking to add the Ohlins FKS 228 NIX 22 Cartridge kit to my 2019 CVO Street Glide. No one, including Ohlns, seems to have them in stock and they are back ordered until May. Please PM me if you have a set or know of anyone who is sitting on a pile of these. I also need a set of the 08790-12 springs.

Thanks in advance.
I got no horse in this race but do yourself a favour and read this complete thread before you send $$ anywhere. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...d-messner.html
After that, it's your choice.

Quick Reply: Ohlins FKS 228 Front Cartridge Kit