Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Upgrade Your Big Sucker Stage 1 to Stage 2 - $60

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 10:02 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 1,149 Likes on 470 Posts
Default Upgrade Your Big Sucker Stage 1 to Stage 2 - $60

Everything to change your Big Sucker Stage 1 to Stage 2. The difference is the size of the filter is 20% larger - thicker and the outer diameter is larger. The stage 2 filter fits on the same Big Sucker backplate, just needs the longer stand-offs to mount.

Included:

- Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 2 standard (cotton) filter https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ring-2008-2016
- Hardware Kit including the longer stand-offs, new screws to mount the filter, and breather bolts (not needed but part of the kit). Does not include o-rings or gasket - no need to remove the backplate to install this.
- Smooth Chrome Stage 2 cover with chrome screw and plastic spacer. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...over?rrec=true
- Arlen Ness Stage 2 Pre-filter (rain sock) https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sock?rrec=true
- K&N Filter Recharger Kit with cleaner and oil (used once to clean this filter). https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-cleaning-kit

Fits 2008-2016 Twin Cam Touring

I am selling because the larger filter sticks out too far for me. It is in the way of my right knee. I liked the look, but it got a little uncomfortable on longer rides. I switched to a stage 1 filter and cover. The cover has some mild rub marks on it from when my jeans rubbed up against it - probably will polish out but for full disclosure it is not completely perfect.

***THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE BIG SUCKER BACKPLATE*** If you already have a Big Sucker then all you need to do is change out the stand-offs and put the larger filter and cover on. Get the filter, hardware, rain sock, and cover for the price of just the filter. $60 shipped.

Pictures in the next post.

Last edited by cowboydoc; 04-08-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:06 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

On the bike

Old 04-14-2020, 03:25 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Bump and a price drop: $50 shipped

Old 04-17-2020, 02:28 PM
macabra11
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

How much more did this kit stick out compared to the stage I? Is your bike just a stage I or do you have other mods?

Old 04-17-2020, 02:45 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by macabra11
How much more did this kit stick out compared to the stage I? Is your bike just a stage I or do you have other mods?
About 1/2 to 3/4 inch more. That doesn't seem like much but my right leg is right against the air cleaner. I thought I took some measurements but don't remember where I wrote them down.

My bike is a stage 1. I bought the stage 2 Big Sucker because I liked the looks, rather than the need for more air, and there wasn't much difference in price.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:23 PM
macabra11
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboydoc
About 1/2 to 3/4 inch more. That doesn't seem like much but my right leg is right against the air cleaner. I thought I took some measurements but don't remember where I wrote them down.

My bike is a stage 1. I bought the stage 2 Big Sucker because I liked the looks, rather than the need for more air, and there wasn't much difference in price.
Any difference in performance between the two you tried (stage I vs II)? I have a stage one big sucker with the OEM harley cover on my 15 RGS. That one hits my leg too, but that cover is awfully large too (and I'm a big guy). I prefer the look of the plain round cover too.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:26 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by macabra11
Any difference in performance between the two you tried (stage I vs II)? I have a stage one big sucker with the OEM harley cover on my 15 RGS. That one hits my leg too, but that cover is awfully large too (and I'm a big guy). I prefer the look of the plain round cover too.
My bike has Cobra Speedster duals full exhaust, the Big Sucker air cleaner (now the stage 1 filter with a DK Customs plain bobber chrome cover), and a Fuel Moto microtuner, no other performance mods other than an external breather kit from DK Customs. I cannot tell any difference at all in performance between the stage 1 and stage 2 big sucker filters. They both seem better than the stock air box with K&N filter under acceleration and at higher rpms (where more air flow is needed), but I haven't had my bike put on a dyno to have any hard numbers. From my understanding the bigger air cleaner will only make a difference in performance with additional mods that would need higher air flow - stuff I am not interested in doing right now.

I will try to get some additional pics and measurements this evening.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:57 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Here are the measurements from tonight:

The stage 2 filter itself is 2 11/16" thick, and 3 1/4" thick with the cover.
The stage 1 filter with my cover is 2 3/8" thick.

Both filters are 6 1/4' diameter where they mount against the backplate. The stage 1 filter has a smaller outer diameter (I didn't take my cover off to measure) while the stage 2 filter has a larger outer diameter (7").

So to summarize, the stage 2 filter and cover is 7/8" thicker than the stage 1 filter and cover that I am currently using. The larger outer diameter also makes it take up more space where the smaller filter is tapered.

The following users liked this post:
macabra11 (04-17-2020)