Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

Done riding, have parts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Larry Jeffords
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Done riding, have parts...

After much contemplation, I have decided to give up riding. I live in upstate NY in the Lake George area and although there are many great places to go, things to see and places to eat, it isn't worth the risk. People don't pay attention and clearly don't care. I recently retired from the local Sheriff's Office after 35 years and all too many times heard "I never saw the bike". We had three fatalities in one week involving motorcycles a few months back. On nearly every ride, someone has cut me off, pulled out in front of me or after having a green light, watched 2, 3, or even more vehicles continue through the red light,

I don't want to get hurt and I surely don't want my wife to get hurt. I take pride in the fact that I never had to lay the bike down. Maybe luck, maybe over cautious. Either way the fun has been taken away.

With that said, I beg you to ride safe. Assume people don't see you. Wait that extra second at the traffic light. Look both ways, and look both ways again. Just a little tip from Uncle Larry.

Lastly, I have quite a stockpile of parts for sale. A couple things from my 2012 Ultra Classic and a ton of stuff from my 2016 Ultra Classic. All parts are new or like new and most have been put back in their original packaging. About $3,400 worth in all including OEM LED Passing lamps, saddle bag lights and the original mufflers which were removed the day it came home. I have a list with all part numbers/prices for reference. Reply with your e-mail or any questions if you're interested. I will sell individually but if someone wants it all, we can talk. There is too much to photograph but if I have something you want, I can provide pics.

The following users liked this post:
thomac13 (11-16-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,789 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Congratulations on your retirement. 35 years is a long time dealing with dirt-bags every day.

The following 2 users liked this post by 702:
DanDeleted (10-19-2019), huntch (10-20-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,809 Likes on 19,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Jeffords
After much contemplation, I have decided to give up riding. I live in upstate NY in the Lake George area and although there are many great places to go, things to see and places to eat, it isn't worth the risk. People don't pay attention and clearly don't care. I recently retired from the local Sheriff's Office after 35 years and all too many times heard "I never saw the bike". We had three fatalities in one week involving motorcycles a few months back. On nearly every ride, someone has cut me off, pulled out in front of me or after having a green light, watched 2, 3, or even more vehicles continue through the red light,

I don't want to get hurt and I surely don't want my wife to get hurt. I take pride in the fact that I never had to lay the bike down. Maybe luck, maybe over cautious. Either way the fun has been taken away.

With that said, I beg you to ride safe. Assume people don't see you. Wait that extra second at the traffic light. Look both ways, and look both ways again. Just a little tip from Uncle Larry.

Lastly, I have quite a stockpile of parts for sale. A couple things from my 2012 Ultra Classic and a ton of stuff from my 2016 Ultra Classic. All parts are new or like new and most have been put back in their original packaging. About $3,400 worth in all including OEM LED Passing lamps, saddle bag lights and the original mufflers which were removed the day it came home. I have a list with all part numbers/prices for reference. Reply with your e-mail or any questions if you're interested. I will sell individually but if someone wants it all, we can talk. There is too much to photograph but if I have something you want, I can provide pics.
Assume people don't see you. Wait that extra second at the traffic light. Look both ways, and look both ways again. Just a little tip from Uncle Larry ... Hey, I never said that ! ... :>) Congratulations on retirement ~

DanDeleted (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:49 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Assume people don't see you. Wait that extra second at the traffic light. Look both ways, and look both ways again. Just a little tip from Uncle Larry ... Hey, I never said that ! ... :>) Congratulations on retirement ~
maybe you didn't say that but still good advise. Enjoy you retirement, you earned it.

The following 2 users liked this post by heavymetalthunder:
DanDeleted (10-19-2019), Uncle Larry (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 08:54 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sorry to hear that your decision to quit riding is based on other people's ignorance . It's a shame , but well understandable ,

Just yesterday , I was heading down a divided two lane road and for no reason at all , a lady in a suv pulled across the road right in front of me and the car beside me , she was trying to turn left but couldn't because of on coming traffic . We both did a hard break and stopped , the guy beside me laid on his horn for a minute , and all she did was stare at us , then looked away . We had to sit there while traffic cleared for her , so she could proceed .

I've noticed over the years just how bad traffic has become , some people don't pay attention or just don't care . Your right about being extra cautious , anything can happen , and it can happen fast .

I respect your decision , Enjoy your retirement and Good luck with the sale of your parts .

Old 10-19-2019, 09:07 AM
itsmf
Tourer
Received 115 Likes on 65 Posts

Now as your reward,you get to sit home with the ole lady!

DanDeleted (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 AM
Larry Jeffords
Intermediate

I don't mind that at all. Plus between my Raptor and Jeep, we always have fun and safer things to do.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,789 Likes on 2,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Jeffords
I don't mind that at all. Plus between my Raptor and Jeep, we always have fun and safer things to do.
Just Empty Every Pocket.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Larry Jeffords
Intermediate

The Jeep is cheap compared to the Raptor. Just sayin'...

Old 10-19-2019, 10:51 AM
Larry Jeffords
Intermediate

Apparently I'm not smart enough to navigate this forum. I've responded to several messages but can't find them now and can't seem to figure out how to send pictures, Send me your e-mail and I can respond to that.

Quick Reply: Done riding, have parts...