Touring Parts This is the place to post your Touring Parts for sale. DO NOT POST WTB THREAD HERE.

FS: M8 OEM Air Cleaner modified to cool rear of right leg $45

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 02:20 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts
Default FS: M8 OEM Air Cleaner modified to cool rear of right leg $45

for short legged ppl, this is a LIFESAVER. their legs won't splay out enough to scoop fresh air in behind their knee.
Right leg heat seems to the major complaint of the newer bikes, and this simple mod will let you cool off the rear cylinder, and your leg, enough for you to ride and be comfortable. hopefully, this would cool off your passenger also, by pushing stale air out of that area.

without this mod, the wife's trike was hot enough to make her sick, and she was getting blisters on the rear of her leg.

most guys don't want to/don't have space/tools to cut up & modify stuff, so figured I would offer these
here's the deal, a local guy has several M8 Air cleaners, and I have the tools to make the cuts. LMK if you want one. he wants $30 each for the housings, so I will have to bargain some to make it work.
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...926167926.html

you have your OEM air box if you have warranty concerns,
this does NOT affect your tune, because it does not put more air in the engine.

you probably stretch it abit and tell yourself this increases performance, by minimizing 'heat soak' of the air cleaner, filter, and the rear head.
Your stock air box is still flaming hot, for about 30 minutes after you ride, this should let air flow thru the air box & cool it off, IDK?

from the post for Trikes:
-------------------

all the hot air was eddy'ing and staying right there behind the AC, and the wife was getting blisters (2nd degree burns?) from any ride over 45 mins

we made some cuts on the rear of the air box, because the air box blocks all the air flow to her right leg,

you can't tell the air box is modified, with it on the bike.

the front of the air box has a big mesh scoop to block incoming junk, and this cut on the back of the filter housing should allow the excess air from that scoop to flow out the back, around her leg, and cool off the rear cylinder.

post with pics:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...ight-calf.html

Last edited by 04ctd; 08-01-2019 at 02:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iwishiwasdata (08-02-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 12:07 PM
k86smom
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there ... just joined the HDF and was getting ready to post something about this issue with 2nd degree burns. Have a 2019 RGS and while I'm not that short (32" inseam) it seems the position of my right calf is doing exactly what you described. I take it that you have done this and it's helping?

Old 08-14-2019, 11:31 AM
04ctd
Banned

Originally Posted by k86smom
Hi there ... just joined the HDF and was getting ready to post something about this issue with 2nd degree burns. Have a 2019 RGS and while I'm not that short (32" inseam) it seems the position of my right calf is doing exactly what you described. I take it that you have done this and it's helping?
yes ma'am, it's a HUGE change. it will make the bike usable at all temp's, and ease your pain.
the prob my wife had was she could ride one Saturday, get blisters, and could not ride until they had healed up, which took a week or so.
now she can ride every day.

i sold one, lets see if he replies.

i can do them for $55 shipped, they fit in the $14 medium flat rate box.

Old 08-14-2019, 03:30 PM
wildhog7
Tourer

Hi how many of them do you have?

Old 08-15-2019, 03:06 PM
k86smom
Stage IV

Originally Posted by 04ctd
yes ma'am, it's a HUGE change. it will make the bike usable at all temp's, and ease your pain.
the prob my wife had was she could ride one Saturday, get blisters, and could not ride until they had healed up, which took a week or so.
now she can ride every day.

i sold one, lets see if he replies.

i can do them for $55 shipped, they fit in the $14 medium flat rate box.

Dealer has the bike now ... they tested it and at the point where my leg was was over 500 degrees ... should be around 325-350. Husband is worried that the engine has been compromised since aluminum lose 50% of it's strength at 600 degrees. He's a millwright for over 40 years. They are working with Harley - measuring, testing and hopefully changing something like the ENGINE!

Old 08-16-2019, 11:59 AM
04ctd
Banned

Originally Posted by wildhog7
Hi how many of them do you have?
only one guy asked, so I sold him my trimmed up backing plate.

if you want One, I will hit up that guy on CL and get those 5 that he has, and start trimming them up.
i have talked to him already, but he lives ~an hour away, so it was a bit much to go them, without any buyers.

Originally Posted by k86smom
Dealer has the bike now ... they tested it and at the point where my leg was was over 500 degrees ... should be around 325-350. Husband is worried that the engine has been compromised since aluminum lose 50% of it's strength at 600 degrees. He's a millwright for over 40 years. They are working with Harley - measuring, testing and hopefully changing something like the ENGINE!
good luck!
i have a Laser Thermometer, and it read around 300ish on one of the hottest bikes I had (a "twin cooled" 2014 limited)

i think 500 would have to near the exhaust port/exhaust pipe. keep us posted on what they say.

the "felt heat" on a trike is so much more, because that air pocket does not get scooped away, that hot air just re-circulates behind your leg.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 AM
GeezerGlide17
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut the back out of my backing plate on my 17 FLHTCU and it really helped cut the heat on my right calf!
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate your post!

04ctd (10-09-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Bpercle25
Intermediate

This is how I cut/fabricated my air box before getting the ventilator. Hope it helps.

krabun (12-21-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:58 AM
GeezerGlide17
Intermediate

Thanks, It Looks Great!