Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about engaging 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about engaging 1st gear

Had my heel shifter lowered at 1000 mi. service. I notice now that sometimes I don't get the 1st gear clunk like its not going in gear when I push down on the toe shifter. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen, if I shift back to neutral and let out on the clutch a bit then push down on toe shifter it will clunk into first gear ok. Is this something to worry about? Do I need to have the sift rod adjusted? I've had this happen once in awhile on all the motorcycles I've owned but this wasn't happening on my Road King at all before I had the heel shifter lowered.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about engaging 1st gear

The proper way to lower(adjust) your heel shifter is to remove it and turn it on the splines. Doing this should not affect the operation of the toe shifter in any way,
Now if they did something funky, like lenghining the shift rod to lower it, then you need to have it re-adjusted.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I get that from time to time as well. Started way after I removed the heel shifter, so I doubt that is the problem. Happened just last week, wish I knew why. Was pushing down on the shifter and instead of stopping , kept just kind of floating there. I shift up into 2nd, and then back down to first, seems to work. Maybe something is wrong and one of the gurus here will chime in with a solution. I will stay posted on the matter.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Woo Hoo, PROSPECT now! 101 posts. Is it sad that this is exciting to me?

Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 AM
jbhawley
Road Master

sort of addicting isnt it?????

Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There is another adjustment,on the trans you need special tools for,not to mention a feel for as well.It sets the correct spring tension on the shift pawl so the trans will shift correctly.Next time in the shop tell them of your concern and mention that adjustment.On the trans, behind the shift lever,11/16"locknut 1/4" adj.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:33 AM
uniondog1
Intermediate

I have an 07 Ultra - "Clunk" is optional for the 07 model - it is still in gear. When it does "Clunk" it is not as pronounced on the 07's as with the older models. It's new and improved.

respect
UD

Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The clunk is more associated with clutch adjustment than the height of the shifter peg itself. With a properly adjusted clutch, the clunk can be minimized and absent completely at times. Also the weight of the oil and temps will make a difference too.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Thanks to all for your input and help. I took it this morning to a good freind who is an independent mech. who used to work as a mech. for Harley. He rode it checked everything over and thinks the bike is fine. Gives me peace of mind. I also had a post on here about free play in my throttle after changing handlebars. I did adjust the cables last night at the throttle and did the cruise control manuever to take out the slack in it and it feels better today. Still could maybe be adjusted to take out some play but I think it's pretty close.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM
DrLove907
Cruiser

No it is not sad,this forum is addictive, informative and fun.Congrats on you new status.

Quick Reply: Question about engaging 1st gear