Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan or Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:30 PM
ms3300
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan or Oil cooler

Has anyone installed the HD fan? If so, what was the reduction in engine temperature? I am thinking about either the fan or installing an oil cooler, would like information on both if anyone can help. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28459/DF7BBCAF580A44E59AC83DB00184F686.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-09-2007, 11:36 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Fan or Oil cooler

premium oil cooler w/chrome cover. like the look and the insurance. fan is just a bit much imo.for suvillian use. If I did not put this one on Ive seen all-in-one regulator-cooler some where and it was all chromed. but sence already installed and afordable have not looked into this.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:54 PM
ms3300
Road Captain

I want my bike to run cooler. It is an 06 road king and it almost stalled on me in Daytona, I was stuck in traffic and assume it was overheating. Scared me to think what was going on inside the engine at the time. I believe the fan with a thermostat would be more beneficial when sitting still whereas the oil cooler would work better at highway speeds. Just trying to decide which one I want, appreciate your input.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fan will help when you are stuck in traffic
OIl cooler helps when you are moving

How do you ride more often? In parades or lots of stop&go traffic, or on normal cruising rides with planned meal and fuel stops?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:03 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

sat in traffic to in daytona and bone stock. but who knows. Anyway I would at least start with oil cooler. good luck

Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Forget the fan. They are prone to breakage. The vibes of the bike seems to kill them.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 AM
ms3300
Road Captain

riding is sort of mixed up. I live in central Florida and do a lot of l/d riding with meal breaks and fuel stops, but do head to Daytona a couple of times a year and end up stuck in traffic. i see where your going though and am leaning toward the oil cooler. even when stuck in traffic, the oil cooler would cool things down quicker once on the road.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:29 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Agree with the fan breakage, just talk to a moto cop, checked one of their bikes out that was being brought in for service, LEO stated that the fan mount is not secure and comes loose all the time, and he rattled his as the bike sat there,said it does do its job when working though. Go to synthetic that will reduce the temp by 10 to 20 degrees. Also thinking the same, live in Miami and heading into summer is going to be tough, thinking heat sheild also fo the morning rush hour traffic.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:26 AM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 synthetic and oil cooler.yet to mod mine but did daytona this year and no prob

Old 04-10-2007, 08:06 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For being stopped in traffic, I feel thatthe fan is the most effective,ours quickly pulls the head temps down approx 20 deg when it kicks in, which isn't enough in my opinion, but it doesbuy mesome time.

As far as problems, I've had oil coolers systemsleak and the thermostatic valves fail whichmanypeople are never aware of without an oil temp guage.The only problem I've had with the fan is a broken rubber mount. BUT,a fan problem won't ruin a trip and individual parts are available for them, niether is true for oil coolers. Depending on whattype of a heating problem is trying to be solved, morebikes could use a fan before an oil cooler, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Fan or Oil cooler