Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan or Oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
oscarg
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fan or Oil cooler

I got the parade download which turns off the rear cyl under certain conditions clutch in , on road speed and on throttle this is to keep heat down any of you try this ??

Old 04-10-2007, 08:40 AM
RanD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: oscarg

I got the parade download which turns off the rear cyl under certain conditions clutch in , on road speed and on throttle this is to keep heat down any of you try this ??
I guess I've already learned something today. I was unaware of this download, but it sounds like it would be prone to problems??

Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Easyglide
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: oscarg

I chose not to get the download. Harley now makes it an option only on the 07's due to the complaints they were receiving when it would kick in, as I understand it. The dealer I purchased my 07 from has not had a request for the download yet, according to their service manager I talked to.

I went with Mobil One V Twin in the engine to help it run cooler and installed an oil gauge.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

For traffic heat... FAN!

I get heat issues in traffic here in DC. Had a fan for about 2 months now.. When it was still spring... (WTF with this weather???) We had an 80 degree day. I drove from 21st and M, down Constitution, to the 14th Street Bridge, and then into Old Town Alexandria.. For those of you from elsewhere, this is 45 mins of stop and go traffic in nothing but sunlight... First Gear only, lots of sitting idling.. Usually a recipe for a Touring bike to go into heat management, and then fart to a stop... I had experienced a lot of this before the fan was installed.

I was really sweaty, but the bike never coughed or sputtered.. Pre-fan install it was only good for about 15 minutes. With a better dyno run, and this fan, I can ride pretty much anywhere in traffic....

For an oil cooler to work, you have to be moving... They are great if you are riding in Florida, or in the desert, but they do not do much unless the bike is in motion.

The fans are not that durable. The mounts have to be constantly checked if they are not locktited. Also, if you run them at hiway speeds, you will blow them up. That is why I had mine mounted to a dash accessory switch. Run it while you are sitting, but if you get into 2nd gear, switch it off. I have a Harley fan, it is not the prettiest thing in the world, but it helps me stay on the road in traffic.. I cannot tell you exactly how much cooler, but I will tell you it does work.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
tbradley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This all got me to thinking... has anyone heard of a fan that could be mounted on the oil cooler, one that you could trun on in traffic conditions to help cool the oil until the bike got up to speed again? I don't know much about it, and it may not work out... just a thought to ponder.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be the best bet, an oil cooler w/thermo fan. But if nobody makes one, your fins do enough to cool at speed, but is useless if you're not moving. Seems the problems posted about fans won't ruin your trip.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:33 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chiabate

That would be the best bet, an oil cooler w/thermo fan. But if nobody makes one, your fins do enough to cool at speed, but is useless if you're not moving. Seems the problems posted about fans won't ruin your trip.
Something like this perhaps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150108463694

This company also makes a coolong fan for the cylinders that I've been considering. I get caught in traffic regularly and have been considering the HD Fan. It's just so dam ugly. The iol cooler won't really help me much as I'm usually only going 5-10 mph. Although this company makes this fan for the oil cooler I haven't seen them list one on Ebay lately.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Stash
Tourer

I take it the fan is thermostatic controlled? Can you feel the air when it kicks on? I assume it draws air and pushes it across the cylinders. I am asking because I had a fan added to my bike and to the best of my knowledge it has never kicked on. I live in the NE, bought the ultra last Sept.. It has never been that hot; however, there have been times when I thought it should have kicked on. I asked the dealer twice about when it should kick on and never got a straight answer.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM
serverpimp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Stash

I take it the fan is thermostatic controlled? Can you feel the air when it kicks on?
The fan from eBay appears to be manually operated via a switch of your choosing. Still a neat idea. Don't like the price though.

From the auction:
Harley Oil Coolers work great, but only work while the bike is moving. Oil coolers need a fresh supply of air moving across the cooling fins to dissipate heat. That is where LeNale Engineering Oil Cooler Fan Kits provides a simple solution. The Oil Cooler Fan develops over 75 CFM of airflow at a velocity of 35 MPH. Just manually turn the fan on when you need it. Since it draws less than one amp of current, you can leave it on continuously during parades and rally cruising without draining the battery.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:47 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In this case, your thigh talkin' to the finger becomes the thermostat! Reliable enough for me.

Quick Reply: Fan or Oil cooler