Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear turn signals. Want my cake and eat it too.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:33 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear turn signals. Want my cake and eat it too.

On a '11 Road Glide Custom, I have rear led bullets for brake lights that blink as turn indicators also and have plasma rods for secondary brake lights. What I want, and haven't seen made yet, are led red boards for the bullet lights with a bright amber led in the center for turn signals. I run the smoke lenses and think this would look great and give a better visibility in the rear when turning.

I would have to overcome some wiring issues but it is doable. Anyone seen something like what I have described? I checked Custom Dynamics cause they have some awesome products, but nothing.

To review, I want the rear bullets to show red for running lights, bright red for braking, and flash a single bright amber led in the center when turning. Someone can make these if I am not alone in wanting to be more visible when turning.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I wonder if its technically possible. My guess is you could certainly make them turn amber when flashing but to have them be red as well might be problematic.. well, assuming you didn't use DIFFERENT red led's to get the effect.. I'm sure Custom Dynamics could tell you if its possible.. they have front lights have change from white rings to amber (Which I have) but the white does not stay on when it does that.

The other question I would have is if it would be 'legal' to have both red and amber in a turn signal. Probably would be, but who knows with our wacky DOT rules.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:34 PM
jayhawkclint
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I purchased some stuff from custom dynamics the other day, and while I was browsing their website I saw a product called "Dynamic Rings." It is an 1157 style LED insert.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_davidson_led_turn_signals.htm

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Custom Dynamics Dynamic Clusters. Red outer ring and amber inner cluster.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 AM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

The Dynamic Clusters are what you are looking for,I have them on my Canadian 14 Street glide.But the wiring on your American Bike is different than mine.I have a tail light and single contact signal lights.You have double contacts on your signals,Run and brake/signal,the signal and brake function are on a common wire. I think your best bet is to get in touch with Custom Dynamics and see what they say.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:55 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,944 Likes on 832 Posts

I believe there is also a single tail light that does exactly as you describe; either CD or Kuryakyn sells it...

Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 AM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had seen the cluster before but it looks like red is an afterthought with just the one ring. I love the way the full red LEDs look and feel like missing only the center spot, they would still appear the same but putting a super-bright amber led in the center would accomplish the more visible turn signal.

Like I said though, I am sure the wiring would have to be modified to get the functions I want. Will have to cross that bridge when I find what I am looking for.

Does anyone know of a place that can custom make a led board like I want?

Old 09-14-2014, 02:59 PM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

Try looking at the HD UK turn signals, they come stock the way you are describing. We can only have amber turn signals on the rear !